Author Topic: ArmA III  (Read 15854 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: ArmA III
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:56 am »
+1
Eh always played it for the MP. Invade and Annex is nice for some PvE - lots of teamwork there and people using voice is awesome. Then I'm waiting for Sa-Matra Wasteland to release Altis version of their mission, since their Wasteland is vastly superior to other Wastelands. Then you have the PvP MP missions like Domination, which are cool as well.  Then you have Dead Nation if you want to play DayZ on Arma3 maps, but it's still very raw.
Problem with all these is finding a good server else the MP mission will run like shit with low fps.
I really haven't met any people raging at others (or me) for being bad at Arma - that is unless you crash a heli full of people or teamkill, but it's easy to avoid that (just don't do it).

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
Played Stratis Life mod all night tonight. Pretty fun sandbox. I started out as a law abiding citizen, got some investment funding for the paper factory and started rolling in some dough. Did a heroin run for $200,000 and put it back into the legit business and made enough to start rolling a helicoptor. Cops were getting really annoying, so I was ready to start funding a gang to hit those bastards, but it got to be too late. I'm a millionaire now though, so if it carries over, I'll fund a biker gang when I get back on, or if not, start the money making early with a few guys with the plan to take down the pigs once we have a good army built up.  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29:53 am »
Played Stratis Life mod all night tonight. Pretty fun sandbox. I started out as a law abiding citizen, got some investment funding for the paper factory and started rolling in some dough. Did a heroin run for $200,000 and put it back into the legit business and made enough to start rolling a helicoptor. Cops were getting really annoying, so I was ready to start funding a gang to hit those bastards, but it got to be too late. I'm a millionaire now though, so if it carries over, I'll fund a biker gang when I get back on, or if not, start the money making early with a few guys with the plan to take down the pigs once we have a good army built up.  :P

Sounds ace. This a single player mod?
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
Sounds ace. This a single player mod?

It's a multiplayer mod. I've heard about it several times and I see servers full of people on Stratis Life, but never actually tried it. Rumblood, is there anything we need to know before we start that mod? Any general tips or controls/hotkeys we need to know, or do they have a new user -friendly interface?

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »
Eh always played it for the MP. Invade and Annex is nice for some PvE - lots of teamwork there and people using voice is awesome. Then I'm waiting for Sa-Matra Wasteland to release Altis version of their mission, since their Wasteland is vastly superior to other Wastelands. Then you have the PvP MP missions like Domination, which are cool as well.  Then you have Dead Nation if you want to play DayZ on Arma3 maps, but it's still very raw.
Problem with all these is finding a good server else the MP mission will run like shit with low fps.
I really haven't met any people raging at others (or me) for being bad at Arma - that is unless you crash a heli full of people or teamkill, but it's easy to avoid that (just don't do it).

Invade & Annex is my favourite type of Mission atm , you must find a server with mature people though. i don't pretend a serious gameplay , just tactical and you can see a lot of server full of grievers planting mines at spawn , destroyng helis , , ffs just wait GTA V and do this shit on there.

Tried PvP Domination but server restarted too early to see an enemy.

Wasteland is too laggy for me , fps < 10.

Altis Life could be nice if people try to don't act like idiots running in circle screaming like psychotics in voip as i saw in some videos.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
It's a multiplayer mod. I've heard about it several times and I see servers full of people on Stratis Life, but never actually tried it. Rumblood, is there anything we need to know before we start that mod? Any general tips or controls/hotkeys we need to know, or do they have a new user -friendly interface?

Just pull up the map and click on the rules. Other than that, pretty standard ARMA fare. You earn a paycheck every few minutes. Investing into the paper or cheesecake factory gives you more money per tick with an initial investment of $100,000. I think it takes maybe 30 minutes to get that much from a paycheck, but there are other things you can do to earn cash, like doing delivery runs, going hunting, refining oil, collecting apples from the orchard, etc. Those are legit ones, the illegal ones that will make you a wanted man if you get caught is robbing the bank, running heroin, going whaling. You can also form gangs and have gang wars, though I didn't see anyone doing that.
Just pull up the map to find the various shops. I would start out as a citizen, then switch to play a cop later on once you've got a feel for it. Cops are powerful, but have to follow certain rules when harassing the citizenry. They are the only ones who can get military grade weapons, unless you become a terrorist, or a gang member. You can steal cop equipment, but can be arrested if caught with it. When the cops get you, they can detain you, search you, impound your vehicles and confiscate your stuff, and put you in jail for a period of time (not sure how long). They are not supposed to kill you unless you are fleeing, try to kill them, or other citizens.
You have a bank account that is persistent, even after logging off, though I think reset on a server reboot. Anyhow, pretty fun change from Wasteland, which I also really enjoy. And I agree, I think that SA-Matra Wasteland is the best one.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »
Yaaaayyy JSRS 2.0 sound mod !!!

Just tried this, awesome sounds, but too bad servers need to allow it (and not many do). Also enjoying Invade&Annex more and more, such an awesome mission even though it's PvE - well, AI is deadlier than I thought to be honest.

Here's us signaling the heli to pick us up after we've taken an area

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:54:33 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »
+1
ArmA 3 is definitely one of the best games of 2013. A lot of awesome things about it, and CQB is finally smooth too.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2013, 06:53:54 pm »
How do you switch teams in Wasteland?! What sorcery is required? Always puts me on OPFOR and I want to be INDEPENDENT.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »
How do you switch teams in Wasteland?! What sorcery is required? Always puts me on OPFOR and I want to be INDEPENDENT.

In the lobby hit the team you want (red/Blue/Green) and then choose an available slot in the centre section of the screen.
You should see your name there. then hit ok/spawn/deploy/whatever word they have there.
Played hardcore Arma 3 wasteland for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. The only thing you might find fidly if you;re used to 2 is the posture. I kept doing some sexy sideways lying thing when i was prone.
 :D

sexy sideways prone
(click to show/hide)
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »
+1
Just had a great squad leader in Invade&Annex and a squad that used voice comm - it was an excellent experience and felt very immersive (squad leader used military lingo). Also if you never noticed, but when one uses voice com his ingame character starts moving his mouth - looks awesome.

Coupled with JSRS mod and hearing massive explosions all around you while you try to take a village.. glorious.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:50:39 pm by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »
I find people using military lingo on voice comm more corny than immersive.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »
I find people using military lingo on voice comm more corny than immersive.

I somewhat agree with this, even though the last VOIP-heavy thing I played was Planetside (yeah I know it's not arma, whatever), and I was laughing uncontrollably at some of the platoon leaders I heard.

Just why all the communication clutter? It's useless, just tell people to hold X and attack Y, then regroup at Z. No need for do you copy over, whiskey tango foxtrot.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
+1
He wasn't overdoing it at all, the phrases he used were actually useful (like "double column" while we were passing through a street). If he'd be using the lingo to RP a soldier then yeah, I'd find that corny as well.

"No need for do you copy over, whiskey tango foxtrot." was nothing like that :D

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »
Ah that's just a formation name, nothing retarded like that.

Once I remember I played BF2142 and there was a guy always playing on the servers I played, and after every commander order that you can just drag and drop, he went like this:

"Roger that EU commander, I'm carrying out orders and flanking to capture position B, over and out, blah blah blah he went on for like 10 seconds"

People were yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP GODDAMNIT" after he did this like 10 times in a row after the commander changed the lines. Every. Fucking. Time. lol  :mrgreen:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!