Poll

Do you think that modifying textures or sounds to make the game easier is cheating?

Yes
No
I don't care

Author Topic: Cheating textures  (Read 8813 times)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating textures
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:29 am »
+4
Just found this :

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is an old problem. Also some guys from Russian community used invisible bushes for a very long time now (I won't give names but they were the reason why I made a couple of threads). I never used myself anything from the mods (even crosshair is the vanilla), I don't see really a big problem of pink projectiles but still it's a small cheat IMO

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
+2
I did not care enough to investigate or even think how/why they do it, but I have noticed for a long time that some folks seem to see through bushes and other stuff, or, like yesterday on NA battle, some archers on my team are happily firing (and hitting, no random shots) into thick fog where I definitely could not see shit or aim at anything beyond the next house...

so - all for a CRC check or similar to prevent tampering with this side of the game.

Include some of the better texture mods (like heirloom mod) into the "official repository", and ban any other crap.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »
+7
A little liberty to gain a little security ...

Totally not blowing this out of proportion.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
+5
You sirs, are havign such a kind and intelligent speeching here, respect.

But nobody is talking about the next glasses I will have to buy if I play one day more with original arrow textures

This is me in one month as archer
(click to show/hide)

And I am serious
My fridge is my shield

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »
A little liberty to gain a little security ...

Great trolling 5/5

Btw, will I get banned or some shit if I start distributing an obvious cheat mod such as the one Elio posted links for. It'd probably be relatively trivial to make such.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 09:21:28 pm »
+1
I would much rather trust my fellow players that they aren't cheating than lock down the game, out of fright that they might be getting some small advantage.

Experienced players already move far from corners, because there's a good chance that there's someone using the old wallhack of 3rd person view and tilde key to view past the corner and hit you in the face as you come around it. Sure it's a dick move to use transparent walls like that, but will it help you to win every fight? It's not like an aimbot or an autoblock.

And this absurd stuff about making spikes come out of armors? Do you have any idea how fucked you would be if you got into a melee with random spikes everywhere? You could not see enemy weapons and you could not block anything!

And different color armor? That's cheating too? Silly, I think.

Great trolling 5/5

It's called having an opinion. Be against it all you like, but don't say it's "just trolling".

Totally not blowing this out of proportion.

The principle fits. But granted, he was speaking of greater matters.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:53:15 pm by Rhekimos »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »
+3
I did not care enough to investigate or even think how/why they do it, but I have noticed for a long time that some folks seem to see through bushes and other stuff, or, like yesterday on NA battle, some archers on my team are happily firing (and hitting, no random shots) into thick fog where I definitely could not see shit or aim at anything beyond the next house...

Blame WSE, I have the ridiculous "Outline enemy with banners and neon red" circles option turned on... Fog or Bushes, I see all, just aim a foot below it for headshots.

Also, using the scalers and options to reduce tree rendering distance and tree details and foliage and grass levels to minimum if you want to see really well, they practically go away.

Do the same for water effects and VOILA now you can even shoot people underwater.

Also turn off particles too, helps a bunch.

Congratulations, now you too can legally be a stupid accurate archer with zero mods!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:32:02 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 01:08:28 pm »
+1
Blame WSE, ...

ah, thanks Tears - I am still using the original client, WSE gives me too much of a slideshow and more crashes on my machine.

That explains a lot, and is plain stupid mofo bs indeed.

Particles and foliage are turned down anyways for performance reasons (until I get my new gaming laptop, hehe), makes a bit of a difference but not much, e.g. fog and those dead-ugly sand storms do not go away without additional "measures".

Anyways - I am just an old-fashioned realism freak....
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:38 am »
+1
Just found this :

i want this one
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2013, 05:50:48 pm »
+1
While there are certainly some blatant instances where modifications are crossing the line into cheating, let's not fool ourselves into thinking the OP was doing anything more than creating another anti-ranged hate thread and wasn't even thinking about transparent walls when he made this post  :lol:

Make missiles visible. They aren't tiny bullets traveling faster than the speed of sound. It benefits both the shooter and the target who can see them coming in order to dodge and there is no good reason to make them invisible.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robert

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen_Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Scrumpy
  • IRC nick: Scrumpy
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 11:11:49 am »
Cheating is cheating
I've heard ppl on server say things like turn off auto block but I always thought this game was cheat free.
Now peaple are openly admiting to changing game files and saying its only a small cheat - WTF
Big pink arrows and weapons = cheating

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15:26 am »
+1
I wouldn't really compare slightly more visible arrows to autoblocking. Just saying...

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 11:37:51 am »
I wouldn't really compare slightly more visible arrows to autoblocking. Just saying...

Even if certain cases (arrows) are not too bad, the abusing potential is too damn high imo and should not allow for it. Some examples:

A bright purple texture letting you know where polearms (especially longspears, pikes and hoplites) are a big help for cav, since it will prevent you from something that you might not have noticed otherwise and save your life more effectively than an autoblocker.

Similarly if I have a buckler, I could make purple all shieldbreaking weapons, and just avoid them without much thinking, and engaging only those that cannot break my shield easily...

Or being able to see the pikeman/archer waiting just around the corner, that is also a big advantage... (regarding the semi invisible buildings)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
+4
Nah... You seriously can't compare texture stuff like pink arrows to autoblock. It's just never ever even closely as lame. Imo if you want to have pink spears etc, go ahead I don't care. I think it just looks ugly and doesn't give enough of an advantage for the ugliness bonus.

Also the heirloom model pack is cheating by the same logic. It makes heirloomed items highlighted and you know who has +3 item or something else. You see right away what loom level the item is and looting is easier or you know to get away from guys who have all +3 and attack the guys who have no looms. Some other cases the heirloom pack makes some weapons more visible and some less visible.

That wallhack thing is pretty ugly move... Not real sportsmanship there..

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 02:22:22 pm »
While we're at it:

http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/to-crush-your-enemies-see-them-driven-before-you/

Not as effective now that they changed the crop rotation map (by adding visible fences without collision meshes...I mean ffs guys)