Author Topic: Strat killed it?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Re: Strat killed it?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
+1
I'll admit that, now that I've finally reached level 30, and I already have the only 2 loomed items I've ever wanted (thanks to Garison's poetry contest and my insistence on playing naked) it is really liberating to not give a fuck about Multis. The way they make you fiend for success over fun is really annoying. But that's what's good about strat battles - you get tons of experience, even if you bite it hard.

But about the community tanking so hard...

I wasn't here during this supposed golden age, but I can tell you this - I gave up on multiplayer online games years ago - this is the first one I've come back to since. Why is that? Because people out there were always dicks. I played a bunch of MMOs in highschool, and always came to the same conclusion - "these games are only fun if you play them with friends, and I can't make friends with any of these people, because they're all ignorant immature bigots with nothing better to do than grief their fellow man."

However, there were always shining moments, before that melancholy overcame me and I went back to singleplayer / tabletop games that I could play with my actual RL friends. And those were born of the chosen few who banded together to resist that abysmal tide. I'll freely admit that i haven't yet met that crew in CRPG - do you all mean to tell me that they don't exist? That this has become a wasteland of greedy childish morons, and that I should give up now?

Because saying "Strat killed it", in the past tense, means that it is currently dead.

Offline Tyr_

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Suum cuique
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tyr; Merc_Nemo; Caesar_Salad
  • IRC nick: Tyr_
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »
+2
and mercs is an ever popular choice for elitism bullshit.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

y u so mean?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
+1
deny it, i dare you.
Turtles

Offline Tyr_

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Suum cuique
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tyr; Merc_Nemo; Caesar_Salad
  • IRC nick: Tyr_
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 07:27:01 pm »
+3

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42:12 pm »
+2
I remember a time when seeing two mercs during the same day was kind of an event.

Also I remember that during the Fallen 8v8 tournament, Pecores won at least once against Mercs. Kind of a Merc B-team but still. You guys were ashamed, and our own tears of joy happily raining to and from each other on TS were delicious.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »
+7
(click to show/hide)

Every community will have people that miss the "golden age." I myself am perfectly happy with my Fallen brethren and our HRE cousins and other friends, as we are a nice family that not only play c-RPG together but also other games too, and we don't really complain about c-RPG just poke fun at it occasionally. Heaven knows we are not the only ones who do this, many other clans do it as well.

Don't listen to all those bothered and over-fluffed complainers who miss the "old days" or just burnt themselves out, so you just have fun, can't make everyone happy. The majority of players still have nice fun, the mod is fine.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 01:05:00 am »
I gave up on multiplayer online games years ago - this is the first one I've come back to since. Why is that? Because people out there were always dicks. I played a bunch of MMOs in highschool, and always came to the same conclusion - "these games are only fun if you play them with friends, and I can't make friends with any of these people, because they're all ignorant immature bigots with nothing better to do than grief their fellow man."

Generalize much? When you think that there is a problem with everyone on the internet, the root of the problem likely isn't with everyone on the internet  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:27 am »
Generalize much? When you think that there is a problem with everyone on the internet, the root of the problem likely isn't with everyone on the internet  :idea:

Well hey, I'm here now, aren't I? Excuse the hyperbole - I was trying to capture the perceptions of my myself as a highschool student, anyway. Believe me man, I'm trying very hard to prove that kid wrong :)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:03 am »
+3
Well hey, I'm here now, aren't I? Excuse the hyperbole - I was trying to capture the perceptions of my myself as a highschool student, anyway. Believe me man, I'm trying very hard to prove that kid wrong :)

Just beat the tar out of everyone with your glorious playstyle and find a clan (IF and ONLY IF you want company, otherwise to hell with people too) that you enjoy and ignore what some people say about the game, and form your own opinions. You will be happy, I promise  :wink:

Nothing else matters, just kill and be merry.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:27 am »
+1

Every community will have people that miss the "golden age." I myself am perfectly happy with my Fallen brethren and our HRE cousins and other friends, as we are a nice family that not only play c-RPG together but also other games too, and we don't really complain about c-RPG just poke fun at it occasionally. Heaven knows we are not the only ones who do this, many other clans do it as well.

Don't listen to all those bothered and over-fluffed complainers who miss the "old days" or just burnt themselves out, so you just have fun, can't make everyone happy. The majority of players still have nice fun, the mod is fine.

You have those that grumble and often cannot really pinpoint correctly the reason of their desillusion for a very good reason (because there is no such reason not depending on themselves), and those that left. Sadly (or not ?), the latter are much more concerning and quiet as an issue.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 02:20:41 am »

Good man! (or Wo-man as the case may be  :P )
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:27 am »
+2

actually wanted to find the Mercs vs Shogunate clan battle video which was kinda fun to watch but stumbled on this instead =)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:38 am »
+2

The golden era is over  :cry:

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »
+2
I just came back from a looong break, what has it been, like 7 months without me being regular on the server besides say hi?

Any who: Strat was always something that in theory sounded awesome, but in practicality never worked. I'd have to agree that the best times I have had with cRPG has been the organised fights like multi-clan-tournament or fixed theme fights or the fallen tournaments. So while it saddens me and I never thought I'd support it, I believe cRPG should be seperated from strat all together and instead focus on the tournament/fixed style of play that was so close with the program being developed at the time (but never worked when I tried tinkering with it).
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:37 pm »
    Personally, Strat in a pratical form only served to give players an extra way of fast XP, in forms of clusterfuck-lagged battles. It made even more sense (weird) when AI battles happened so everyone would have a chance to participate.