Author Topic: Shield/Thrower Hybrid question  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Kasigi_Yabu

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norr_of_Nordvegr, Tiger Mountain Peasant
Shield/Thrower Hybrid question
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
+2
I'm thinking about trying this build for a gen
Lvl 30
Str 18
Agi 18

IF 1
PS 6
PT 5
ATH 6
WM 6
SHIELD 5

117wpf in 1H
120wpf in throw

It would be 136 1H and 94 in throwing if I go with the minimum in throwing
I'm wondering if I need that much wpf in throwing, with 94 I will be able to pick up my throwing weps, so is the extra wpf worth it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:21:41 am by Kasigi_Yabu »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
Re: Shield/Thrower Hybrid question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:15 pm »
Make a stf and try it
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kasigi_Yabu

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
I have and there doesn't seem to be a difference really, so I might go with more 1H but then  not fully so I can throw with heavier armors as well
(click to show/hide)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:42:10 pm »
I'm thinking about trying this build for a gen
Lvl 30
Str 21
Agi 15

PS 7
PT 7
ATH 5
WM 5
SHIELD 5

95-100 wpf in 1H
120 wpf in throw
Fixed.
Very valid and viable build. And you can pick up any throwing weapon on the ground including lances.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:50:38 pm »
+3
You don't need lances or spears, so PT 4 for axes or PT 5 for jarids if you want is fine. Just go for minimum wpf adding extra doesn't help much. I would recommend 4 PT to start cuz your throwing aim will prolly not be great anyways at the start and heavy axes are easier to learn with than jarids.

21-15 and even 24-12 are viable. Having throwing reduces your need for athletics especially with a fast firing wep like axes, cuz if someone is trying to joust or s-key kite you, you can step back and pop them and they'll come back fast.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »
Well, kinda depends on what you wanna do with throwing. If you're planning on actually kill with it, 4 or 5 PT is a waste of skill points. You gonna stagger people just fine but that's it. 7 PT is imho the sweet spot for a deadly thrower...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kasigi_Yabu

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
+1
hmm thats a good point about not needing to be fast, also I was planning to use heavy throwing axes, and want to kill so maybe 7PT, but then I with 15 ath my WM is pretty low so I'll be even slower with 1H, how about 0 IF and 6 PT as a compromise?
(click to show/hide)

Offline To Kill A Dead Horse

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • May be insane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (Former) The Black Guard, (Current) Swiss AoW
  • Game nicks: To_Kill_A_Dead_Horse, GaugofWar
  • IRC nick: TKADH
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »
Benkei just put the exact build that i did last gen where i used throwing lances and a shield.
Worked pretty good besides for some minor WPF changes (about 15 or so) i did so i could wear some heavier armor and still throw those lances. ( I did use a +1 throwing lance)

It's pretty nice being able to pick up whatever people are throwing at you and toss it back at them and then being able to quickly switch from hoplite to thrower is a pretty handy trick.
Quote from: Baggy
If your going to be staring at your characters ass in game all day it might as well be a female one.
[21:08:47] Downloading Textures/this_is_how_children_see_gnjus_norm.dds

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
+2
Well, kinda depends on what you wanna do with throwing. If you're planning on actually kill with it, 4 or 5 PT is a waste of skill points. You gonna stagger people just fine but that's it. 7 PT is imho the sweet spot for a deadly thrower...

You're not gonna get many kills with throwing anyway.  Most of your kills and points will be from melee, maybe 25% at most throwing so no need to go to too nuts with throwing all the way to 7pt, no way is 4-5 pt a waste that is an absurd thing to say. If you are putting so much emphasis on throwing you are wasting your melee points which are still the bulk of your character's skills. For a hybrid, throwing is just a tool to deal with certain tactical situations like cav, s-key kiters, naked archers, etc. that are normally difficult for a slowish 1h to handle.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:16:16 pm »
What are you people talking about??? Getting kills with throwing is plenty easy. Just don't aim for shielders. I mean, breaking their shields is an asset to your team, but if you want kills heavy throwing axes or jarids will drop just about anyone that you can reliably hit.

I prefer 7PT as well. Being able to pick up ANY throwing weapon you find is important, you will find yourself low on ammo most rounds.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »
You're not gonna get many kills with throwing anyway.  Most of your kills and points will be from melee, maybe 25% at most throwing so no need to go to too nuts with throwing all the way to 7pt, no way is 4-5 pt a waste that is an absurd thing to say. If you are putting so much emphasis on throwing you are wasting your melee points which are still the bulk of your character's skills. For a hybrid, throwing is just a tool to deal with certain tactical situations like cav, s-key kiters, naked archers, etc. that are normally difficult for a slowish 1h to handle.

Ideal Hybrid
5 PT
Heavy Throwing Axes
110 WPF

Wait until enemy is 5m or closer before you throw.  Obviously aim for people without shields and preferable support classes in lighter armor like spearmen or people without helmets.

The problem most hybrids have is not knowing when to hold'em and when to throw'em

Offline Kasigi_Yabu

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:58 pm »
+1
So after your input, I'm wondering if I should have 6 PT and 0 IF or 5 PT and 1 IF, and about 100-120wpf
Which is the best choice?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:24 am »
So after your input, I'm wondering if I should have 6 PT and 0 IF or 5 PT and 1 IF, and about 100-120wpf
Which is the best choice?

18/18 is not a good hybrid build.  Unless you are super agi, the weight of shield & throwing will cancel out any benefit to 6 athletics.  You need more str & hp to counter-attack your slowness.  You have a ranged attack to counter cav, backpedalers & other ranged attackers.

Try this

HUSKARL:  A well rounded foot soldier utilizing his namesake shield
(click to show/hide)
Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 62
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Power Throw: 4
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 124
Throwing: 100

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
What are you people talking about??? Getting kills with throwing is plenty easy. Just don't aim for shielders. I mean, breaking their shields is an asset to your team, but if you want kills heavy throwing axes or jarids will drop just about anyone that you can reliably hit.

I prefer 7PT as well. Being able to pick up ANY throwing weapon you find is important, you will find yourself low on ammo most rounds.

like I said, I have been thrower/1h hybrid for a longass time and only get about 1/4 of my kills at most from throwing, and an even lower % of points. so yes it's pretty useful and can be deadly, but it's still a lot easier to get kills/points in melee that's where you're gonna get your valor from.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »
I've done two throwing/shield builds with polearm wpf for the melee mode. One gen I had heirloomed javelins. With those I would just blow my load and take down 3-4 people or horses. The melee mode was terrible, so I just launched them all then scavenged a good polearm from the ground. The other time I used heirloomed throwing spears. Those are decent in melee mode, and I was able to skirmish and get some distance before throwing again.

Heavy throwing axes are excellent in melee mode - they work just as well as 1 handed axes. Guess the answer really depends on which weapon you're using!

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far