Author Topic: Remove the point system from duels.  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Remove the point system from duels.
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:40 pm »
Press F for Ranked Duel or CTRL + F for Non-Ranked Duel?

I think if you reversed it that would be fine.

I am one of those people who could care less about points.  Although, I am tired of people running away then throwing weapons at you for points.  (They hide throwing weapons till you accept)  It is silly and I don't see people growing up anytime soon.  So you might as well just have a "Friendly" duel option.

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 12:46:38 am »
As much as I HATE losing points in duels, I must say that it does help by forcing you to change your combat style. Besides, it seems fairly easy to regain points later on in the day.
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:31 am »
+1
You do that, unless you actually want to win by skill, that is, in a consistantly reproducible way. If you have a shield, feints are stupidly easy to deal with.
Not realy , if I know alot of players that can block a second spam me including. And the moment I don´t time the spam right or he finishes feinting earlier than I expacted I take the hit , it´s just a high risk high reward tactic and it´s definatly better than just endless blocking of the feints because it pisses people of when you spam kill them .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »
You do that, unless you actually want to win by skill, that is, in a consistantly reproducible way. If you have a shield, feints are stupidly easy to deal with.
If a player has no control over his random feint spamming and you can just intercept and hit him then you do win by skill.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:09 am »
If a player has no control over his random feint spamming and you can just intercept and hit him then you do win by skill.

You do win because you had the luck he did not attack straight when you spammed. In fact spam only promotes one thing, and it is dumbing down the combat back to attack-block cycles.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 01:28:02 am »
+1
You do win because you had the luck he did not attack straight when you spammed. In fact spam only promotes one thing, and it is dumbing down the combat back to attack-block cycles.
You either have luck, or you're able to guess whether the guy is gonna keep on spamming, or you noticed his feintspams had put him into a position were he'd glance if he swung so you're free to attack. Tactically intercepting idiotic turkfeinting were the turkfeinter is so concentrated on his feinting that he won't notice you attacking him is not spamming.

You do win because you had luck and he didn't block in the right direction. So atacking only promotes one thing, and it is dumbing down combat to running away.
Your argument invalidates everything from kicks to chambers to even playing as you might disconnect.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »
You do win because you had luck and he didn't block in the right direction.

This is not the same at all, you know. If you spam and the other guy does a straight attack, you will very likely get hit and be penalized. If you feint and the other guy blocks correctly, that's it. Nothing special happens. Spam is terrible because you are gambling a hit, which you can do if you have plenty of HP and armor. If people died as fast as in Native, only the noobs would try spam in duels.

So atacking only promotes one thing, and it is dumbing down combat to running away.

Attacking promotes blocking, or attacking faster, your point ?

Your argument invalidates everything from kicks to chambers to even playing as you might disconnect.

No it does not. Kicks are unrelated to this. People kick right after attacking, this has nothing to do with spam or feints or straight counter attacks. If anything kicks promote s-keying. Chambers are just (intentionally or not) a special kind of spam and has the same effect on your opponent.

On the other hand, feints and holds do not push opponents to do straight attacks.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 03:44:45 pm »
+1
Kafein, your understanding of game mechanics lags behind by at least a year. Sorry.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »
People should do more straight attacks, being able to feint at 1000 feints per second doesn't make you a good player if you can't block while doing in, and watching some turkfeinter turkfeinting for half an hour would suck if I couldn't just stab him.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:16 pm »
+1
points mean little when you cant even duel due to retardedly high random pings for no reason :/

play native 30 ping
join eu3 90-120 ping yay  :rolleyes:
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
+7
If you spam and the other guy does a straight attack, you will very likely get hit and be penalized.
Most good players notice when they are going to get hit when going for a double-attack, and cancel to a block.

Likewise, most good players notice if the other guy is lining up for a double-swing, and also notice if the other guy swings while they are feinting. Again, they cancel to a block.

If people died as fast as in Native, only the noobs would try spam in duels.
Plenty of people go for out-of-sequence attacks in native duel. Right swing into thrust, wait to see if the other guy messes up, and let the thrust through if he does. Higher melee lethality would make cRPG a lot better, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:30:06 pm by Vodner »

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:21 am »
... Higher melee lethality would make cRPG a lot better, though. ...

As in, more damage, 1-shot kills and all that? Granted, I generally play without armor, but I feel like everyone gets killed in 2-3 hits as-is, at most.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:23 am »
+4
As in, more damage, 1-shot kills and all that? Granted, I generally play without armor, but I feel like everyone gets killed in 2-3 hits as-is, at most.
With loomed high-end medium armor in addition to high IF, many players can survive 4-7 decent hits.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 01:27:30 am »
If people died as fast as in Native, only the noobs would try spam in duels.
This is my exact tactic in native, I'm not a very good feinter, average kicker, good blocker, airplane jumper, besides being very good at telling when the other guy is turkfeinting so hard he can't see or whether he got full control or whether his current swing could possibly hit me I'd probably not perform above the average player, and yet what you call spam and claim I'd lose with a decent percentage of the time gets me kills several times more than it kills me, and it is what ends at least 75% of the fights on nditions (against nonenoob players) I don't use some form of jump attack in that I win.