Author Topic: Remove the point system from duels.  (Read 4966 times)

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
Re: Remove the point system from duels.
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 06:10:28 pm »
+6
I do not think it is the system that is broken, but the honorless curs that use shields, crush through, and knock down in duel. And you know what I do about it when i see people like that? remember their name, and never fight them again. there are plenty of people to duel with that have a sense of chivalry in them.

Sry i really have to ask, what is honorless about using a shield 1on1?

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »
+2
That's stupid 2h players thoughts, who think duels were always without shields. But actually it totally depends on the time.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:07 pm »
+5
I do not think it is the system that is broken, but the honorless curs that use shields, crush through, and knock down in duel. And you know what I do about it when i see people like that? remember their name, and never fight them again. there are plenty of people to duel with that have a sense of chivalry in them.

If I go to the duel server, I'm there to learn how to use my build better, and if it is a shielder then of course I'm going to use the shield in duels. A shield has different response times then manual blocking as well as learning how much coverage it really gives to the sides. I also don't mind fighting peole with shields when I'm on my shieldless characters as that teaches me how to kill shielders. Psh.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:18 pm »
+5
indeed shielders and other classes are not allowed to practice cambering while holding a shield or get used to the speed when wearing certain armour :D how dare they
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »

Gotta add to this. A shield is only useful in duel if you are not good at blocking your opponent or getting stunned a lot if you plan on using a 1h anyway.

Also I think the point system could be kept but revamped so people do not see duelists that might kill them as a threat to their points but rather as an opportunity to overcome a weakness. And also reward winning against a broad variety of opponents rather than farming the same people over and over again.

For example, instead of having an ELO score, people could be ranked by the number of different opponents they are winning against on average. Say you got player W,X,Y and Z. We could have W winning over Y and Z but losing against X, X winning against Y but not Z and Y winning against Z. So the scores would be as follows : W 2, X 2, Y 1, Z 1. Determining who "wins" on average is very simple : store the number of victories of each player against each other player. Granted that would be a lot of DB space compared to the current score system. To further refine this system, the number of score points each player gives when you are better than him could be a function of his own score at the moment you fought and won against that player.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:29 pm »
+1
...Also for taking down those pesky feniting ultraspeed katana and rondel dagger users. Take out your shield and be patient and they will be no threat at all.

The shield really doesnt give you much advantages besides rangedblocking. Normally I carry a shield behind my back in duel, althou I never acctually use it. Its so I could get used to playing with the extra weight on my back for battle or siege.

I admit the overpowered undying tincanmen who whore points in duel simply cause they can take alot of hits and maulers piss me off, but than remember that is the game, you cant throw a allout pause and a hissy fit in a middle of a fight, simply cause you took a knife to a maulfight. You never completely know whose coming for your anus, so its good to learn some moves in duel against certain classes and weapons, before you realise in battlemode that you have been in spec most of the time for not being qualified enough. This is why I also deeply support the creation of teamed duels or Team Deathmatch. Cause its good practice for fighting groups, you dont get duels very often. And your skills in strat and battlemode are what really count(atleast in my eyes :rolleyes:).

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »
+2
Duel for me has always been about practicing blocks. Using a shield is pointless for that. The major advantage of having a shield is dealing with multiple opponents, not 1 vs 1 anyways. Duel won't help you shit getting better at the most important battle skill you can have as a shielder.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2013, 10:54:45 pm »
The only reason I want this out is because there are players on NA_3 who won't play "lower-ranked" duelists in fear of the point loss.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline MrIlluminati

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 6
  • So be it.
    • View Profile
    • ^^
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: Illuminati
  • IRC nick: Illuminati
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:28 pm »
Press F for Ranked Duel or CTRL + F for Non-Ranked Duel?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:23 am »
Master Cavalery is on the top of...
no ofence but somethins is fucking wrong there
Well I remember how he quit the server in duel right after I dehorsed him with my 1h... so no surprise here. Usually I enjoy duelling against cav, but that was really weird move. That's when I realized duel points is not a good thing, they make some people care way too much about winning.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:37:17 am by Macropus »

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 12:48:46 am »
+3
Theres no benefit for having a high quantity of duel points, so let idiots be idiots I say.

Agreed, I find it harder to duel with a shield than without.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:30 am »
+3
If a guy offers you a duel while using a shield, you don't really get to complain about him using a shield if you accept.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 08:48:40 am »
+1
I don´t mind dueling a shielder , Also just a tip to piss of the 2handers the moment you see them getting a heartattack with there feints you just overhead it´s that simple.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:23 am »
I don´t mind dueling a shielder , Also just a tip to piss of the 2handers the moment you see them getting a heartattack with there feints you just overhead it´s that simple.

You do that, unless you actually want to win by skill, that is, in a consistantly reproducible way. If you have a shield, feints are stupidly easy to deal with.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:31 am »
Yeah, shield seems useless for duels (at least for me with my huscarl shield), it makes blocks so much slower. Maybe it feels different for fastest shields though.

Also I don't get why some people think using knockdown in duels is unfair or honorless. You see, if swordsmen can abuse their speed and reach, axe wielders abuse their damage and shieldbreaking, why can't blunt weapon users use the natural advantage of their weapon? If they don't, they become highly underpowered.

And when I offer duel to some good fighters like Hearst, duel points make me feel like "Can I try to get shitloads of points for killing you?" instead of "Can I learn something by duelling with you?". Makes me feel awkward.