Author Topic: What is THAT?  (Read 82405 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: What is THAT?
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2011, 09:33:10 pm »
Maybe it's just a temp hp buff. But didn't someone say they got it while they were dead?

Whatever it is, chadz said that it was permanent and would carry on through future generations.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline leviatan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:56 pm »
I don't know if it's been posted or not because I'm too lazy to fucking read the topic like a normal person =(

I got this message while using my pike (I had my armor, pike, and awlpike in my inventory). Masterwork pike, balanced awlpike. When I got the message, no changes ingame. However, on the site, it says I now have a tempered awlpike despite not actually using it for combat. I might remove the awlpike and see if I can upgrade some of my armor, assuming this isn't just a 1 time only thing.

ehm, isnt balanced better than tempered? or am I a noob as usual :P

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2011, 10:29:52 pm »
i think i knows what it is but....

the answer will come - soon!

Or im wrong and stupid :(

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »
it just takes away the neg wpf you get form wearing heavey gear
i mean what ells could it be with out braking the game?

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »
Alright, but what determines when you get the bonus, and how long does the bonus last?

I got the message again today and noticed no new "heirloomed" items, so maybe automatically heirlooming something is just a bug (It doesn't show up ingame after all)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:38 pm »
it's actually permanent, even after retirement
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:12 pm »

that sounds plausible. but not very exciting.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »
Little do you know...

It is a leveling mechanism. The better you are, the more likely that this triggers, right? And chadz said ti was permanent right?

So basically, you get a permanent -1 wpf when using that outfit every time you get that message.

Yup.

Offline Trael

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Artle
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:33 am »
Excel-min-maxing IS the nature of roleplaying games.  Pretty much all of them that have stats and math period.  RPG's were created by geeks, for geeks and mathematical min-maxing/number crunching has always been at the heart and soul of them.
Only crappy ones are dominated by it. Better ones are dominated by creativity, logic and ability to connect things and see everything as possibility. Oh and ones not giving freedom are not Rpg's, they are just some other games using some "excel-min-maxy" statsystems and trying to yell how they are all about playing role even when they are not... for example (approximately 100 percently) every single computer 'rpg'... :P

Not to say that proper roleplaying games could not or should not potentially have nice extra spice or flavour of being able to minmax something or that potentially breakable system that could allow completely irrationally broken and absolutely hillarious minmaxings in its simulation of world cant be amusing or even working and balanced as long as people keep sanity in and prefer theoretical knowlenge of all possible gamebreaking as art instead of something they have to use. :D

</derail>

Oh gotten that message atleast once. And to those who keep wondering, char generation k/d is still <1, back then if i remember right i was having quite nice rounds. Also i do change my equipment quite often between couple of sets i find nice feeling (wizard and couple of other sets based on 'stats may be terrible, but with this i every now and then just utterly rule in combat' and couple of haha heavy armor to scare all those agibuilds, maybe long maul to scare all those shieldusers).

So im guessing quite high random element. Possible changes that are not directly visible to user (might even be stat changes, who knows if game wont display it to us and getting has random element, where would we know if something would even get some stat changed + considering that heirloom statchanges are quite small these days, even if it would be direct hidden statchange it would most likely be quite small, small enough not to be spotted in normal play without knowing, its not like we could say definitive difference between level of heirlooming without seeing item name.)

What comes to C-mans comment about using same gears, most likely stacking or once per item (but have all items of your used 100% of time set to have this) kind of thing, most likely. Meaning that using same items will have bigger change of landing that on items person ends up using at same time (if for example system goes with event triggering and after that game choosing randomly one of equipped items as target).

Whatever it is, it does not seem to be something meant to be mechanically used in planned way by players, just some nice bonus or so. Meaning that atleast im not planning on loosing my nightsleep just wondering how is precious power of powergaming going to change or so, I have found that set of items that feels cool works better in crpg that items that have powergamed stats anyways.

Only thing i would be interrested, if given answer to small question about matter, would be: When hinted that it can target ranged or horse also and that one could benefit from using same items to possibly collect these to them, it hints that this possibly targets pieces of gear & when said its permanent and will carry over retiring...
question would be: is it permanent to item type or single piece of item, aka if it targets single item (kind of like heirloom) is it possible to loose this 'permanent' thing by accidentally selling said item or will it for example be back if player buys new one of same item.

C-man nice playing with playerbase :D
I still like theory that its just there to give permanent boost of morale to player from belief "It told me that im better and i have bonus, so i must have bonus, see i can allready feel how my gaming has improved" :P

<oh and tinfoilhat people feeding>
Well lately my felt hat multiplied in my inventory, on website i have one of those, in game menu i had 2 of those... but really im guessing completely nonconnected databasefail or so.. sold felt hat and both are gone from lists... going to buy new one to have hat for my lovely wizard suit without it taking 2 boxes from ingame inventory.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:36:22 am by Trael »

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2011, 01:27:43 am »
well, today was a good day for me on crpg, still haven't seen this yet, i wonder what the random component is then... :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:46 am »
Only crappy ones are dominated by it. Better ones are dominated by creativity, logic and ability to connect things and see everything as possibility.

My opinion comes from a childhood of playing:
Chainmail
D&D, 1st ed, revised, 2nd ed, 3rd ed
Shadowrun
Palladium
Rifts
Nightbane and many other Palladium systems
Gurps
Steampunk
Cyberpunk
Dabbling in a few others here and there

I wasn't even talking about computer/video game RPG's, which are hardly RPG's in anything but numerical mechanics almost every time (some have good stories, and the original NWN was probably the best crpg ever given player created/run persistant worlds).  Still, at their core, they are a mathematical system begging to be min/maxed, used and abused, exploited and ravaged.  Otherwise we wouldn't have RPG "systems" and would still be outside playing pretend without dice or books.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2011, 09:19:45 am »
Sadly or not, mathematical min/maxing is the core of any RPG. I remember when we didn't even have a calculator and I was planning my builds on paper, good times :D

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2011, 09:49:23 am »
Sadly or not, mathematical min/maxing is the core of any RPG. I remember when we didn't even have a calculator and I was planning my builds on paper, good times :D

LONG LIVE THAC0!!!!

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2011, 10:00:10 am »
LONG LIVE THAC0!!!!
It is dead and may it stay dead forever.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:56 am »
It is dead and may it stay dead forever.

Someone gets a headache doing math.   :mrgreen: