Author Topic: Longbow worse than pre-patch?  (Read 16452 times)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Re: Longbow worse than pre-patch?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »
Would be nice to allow a 1 hand (which could manual block just has terrible damage) take no slots, I just need something to parry with because right now when someone reaches me, its either die or run like a coward. I can't use 1 set of arrows because loomed bodkins only give 17 now, it wouldn't be too nice to throw away a loomed item either.

There are. Wooden stick and sickle.
And tbh I find that quite silly - you will still run like a coward until you can find a real weapon, but you have lesser chances to be killed, and then when you have wasted your arrows you pick up a flamberge from the ground.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »
I geuss thats the trade off for being able to kill people without taken place in the heat of battle and standing safe behind seige shields walls roofs team mates ect ect..

Now i seen some sick players using 1h without shield gone on rampage so i geuss its not that all bad u just gotta adapt use the steel pick for great awesomeness or elite simitar :wink:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »
Ah, thanks for that, due to the website not displaying how many slots each item takes I would of had to try all of the low end stuff for. I will just parry until a team mate helps out, running feels horrible to me. Although you can't exactly blame those who do...

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:09 pm »
Daggers only, so no parry. Not exactly defense. Without parry there is not even a chance of surviving. Also someone reduced my awesomebar by 1 point, clearly there was a two hander spammer here (by the way not all 2 hands are spammers or noobs, most understand they should get killed by archers) .
There is the hammer! I am using that on horseback so I can carry two lots of bolts with my light crossbow, or so I can use two lots of bolts with my "Arbalest".
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:32 pm »
There is the hammer! I am using that on horseback so I can carry two lots of bolts with my light crossbow, or so I can use two lots of bolts with my "Arbalest".

Try the iberian mace its good fun or steel pick for ouchy dmg  :D
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 10:21:08 pm »
Try the iberian mace its good fun or steel pick for ouchy dmg  :D
0 slots?
Professional poop cleaner

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »
Just picked up the wooden stick for parrying, I think the new longbow could be reduced in usefullness by my current build. I have a 18/18 build with 150 WPF and 6 PD, perhaps the new longbow favours a higher PD build, which is what I was planning anyway. If anyone could confirm this it would be appreciated.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »

Coldblood_revanent still tops the scoreboard on the battle server form time to times along with jambi so i geuss u just gotta pratice if u think archery is ohh so bad  :lol:

While this is true Phyrex was also doing 64-5 and such prepatch as a 2hander which hints to the fact that 2handers are fine and you just need to learn to play. No? :)

On Topic. The longbow seems fine, i just think it might be a little too far from the warbow on damage so that warbow does superior damage on all but the highest armored targets, but i cant actually prove that.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »
Mullerian seems to of mirrored my thoughts on the longbow, I think it's too far from the warbow on everything but the heaviest, I think it's warbow>longbow for cloth to mail then longbow wins on plate. I think it should be more longbow owns the warbow on plate and mail, warbow wins for cloth to medium. Like Mullerian said though this would need to be tested. He is also right on the Phyrex thing, Revenant is good has an amazing build but doesn't come close to Phyrex, Phyrex has probably a decent build throws in a little manual blocking and a large amount of feinting and ridicules the scoreboards, I am in no way doubting Phyrex's skill hes bloody brilliant, but his scores are probably not justified solely on his skill more due to the 2H being a little too powerful pre-patch.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:56:43 pm by CaptainQuantum »

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 12:05:52 am »
Mullerian seems to of mirrored my thoughts on the longbow, I think it's too far from the warbow on everything but the heaviest, I think it's warbow>longbow for cloth to mail then longbow wins on plate. I think it should be more longbow owns the warbow on plate and mail, warbow wins for cloth to medium. Like Mullerian said though this would need to be tested. He is also right on the Phyrex thing, Revenant is good has an amazing build but doesn't come close to Phyrex, Phyrex has probably a decent build throws in a little manual blocking and a large amount of feinting and ridicules the scoreboards, I am in no way doubting Phyrex's skill hes bloody brilliant, but his scores are probably not justified solely on his skill more due to the 2H being a little too powerful pre-patch.

I'm a pure polearm with no points in shield lol (I intend to get points and a good shield next gen though) but I completly agree with you. Warbow is just "the best bow" (how new archers qualify it) cuz like 3/4 of players are in lemellar-to-mail armors but only a small majority is in plate and you rarely see them outside of 5x. So longbow does indeed have a really small window of "being better" than the warbow.

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:41 am »
Damage type makes a difference too though.

Against leather it does 4 less damage than before patch
Against chainmail it does 2 less damage
Against plate it does .5 less damage

But on the hole it doesnt feel good.
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 12:26:06 am »

Hmmm, this does give a little bit more evidence to the longbow being worse... Have you got the forumlae that you used to get this?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 12:27:39 am »
Tzar, this is not a discussion about the warbows or strongbows shooting your sorry ass, this is about the longbow being significantly unbalanced. This is not an archery thread, this is a longbow thread.

To be honest I care little of how often you get shot from the other bows, I only care that the longbow is worse then before (and is rarely if ever shooting you in particular).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 12:32:35 am »

Im not getting quite the same numbers but it is quite possible my way to calculating it is just plain wrong. So as the Tenne said, how did you arrive at these numbers?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 12:48:26 am »
I think the hotfix renerfed accuracy of archers back to what it was just before the patch, so longbow less useful.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo