Author Topic: What is wrong with numbers in this game (engine)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2885
  • Infamy: 715
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
What is wrong with numbers in this game (engine)
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
+17
You say rain chance is 15%, yes it is raining more times than it isn't.

You say knockdown chance is not that high, yet it is happening all the time with every weapon that has that tag.

Before paulstagger got removed, you said chance to happen isn't abnormaly high yet it happened all the time.

Supposedly there's a formula that calculates damage yet it is awfully random, I haven't seen more random thing related to computers so far. True random number generator.

There's something terribly wrong with the way numbers work in this game, I just don't know what.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with numbers in this game (engine)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:20 am »
There's something terribly wrong.

Your brain?

(click to show/hide)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:37:42 am »
+2
Before paulstagger got removed, you said chance to happen isn't abnormaly high yet it happened all the time.
Polestun was a flat 50% chance, so long as you passed an (very) low damage threshold.

Supposedly there's a formula that calculates damage yet it is awfully random, I haven't seen more random thing related to computers so far. True random number generator.
Cmp posted the formula for this on the Taleworlds Forums a long while back. Unfortunately both soak and reduce are heavily randomized, and raw damage has 10% variability
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:45:24 am by Vodner »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:43:01 am »
+8
Two-hander selection bias.  Always dying to dumb mechanics like 1hand knockdown, polestagger, missing a juke cuz of rain, massive ranged damage.  Incidents of this screwing you over are over-represented in your memory compared to times they didn't trigger.

Every class is full of rage-inducing things that can kill you without it feeling like it was your fault.  One of the reasons cRPG/Warband isn't that great of a game, design wise.  A lot of it has been tweaked and adjusted by cRPG devs, but not all.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:21 am »
+2

This one of the reasons I think that all values in this game should be represented as bars (Health, wpf, weapon damage, speed).

A lot less people would complain about the bull shit that happens within the warband engine if they didn't know how far the numbers can be from the truth.

Seriously now.
 When it comes to the relationship between athletics, strength weight penalty and speed the numbers are useless. I would love to see an effective health and effective athletics bar on the inventory page.

I would also like to see my speed bonus/panalty when I land a hit on someone. Even if I don't actually find out the damage dealt.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 1614
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:55:41 am »
+2
Two-hander selection bias.  Always dying to dumb mechanics like 1hand knockdown, polestagger, missing a juke cuz of rain, massive ranged damage.  Incidents of this screwing you over are over-represented in your memory compared to times they didn't trigger.

Every class is full of rage-inducing things that can kill you without it feeling like it was your fault.  One of the reasons cRPG/Warband isn't that great of a game, design wise.  A lot of it has been tweaked and adjusted by cRPG devs, but not all.

This isn't rage thread. I don't rage because of game mechanics, people and their behavior is what pisses me off and that has nothing to do with the way game works. Just think that its a bit odd, that's all.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:22:32 am »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING thread

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »
+2
You say rain chance is 15%, yes it is raining more times than it isn't.
I thought that rain chance was DaveUKR-based...

(click to show/hide)

Skyrim UI

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:58:45 pm »
+2
Im happy! :D

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »
MUST BALANCE RENOWN AND IMFAMY

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
+5
Randomness > Predictability

Two extreme scenarios :

- the most negative = random stray shot to the head, lance couched in the back, overwhelmed by several players at once, one shotted by any kind of weapon, miss all blocks, die shamefully (bonus: very short lifespan); you are a loser

- the most positive = block everything, dont miss a shot/throw, get plenty of kills/headshot kills, outmatch every opponent, everything glances on you or do little damage, win a round by yourself (bonus: very long lifespan); you are a hero

All the scenarios between being a loser and being a hero equals to all the game experience you can have, and they can happen with any build/gear/skill : having those 3 maxed enhances the chance of being a hero but doesnt give you a 100% chance.

You can not control the outcome of a battle, cRPG engine is clearly aimed toward that, and it is one of the greatest element of this mod.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:46 pm »
+4
Have to agree 100% ....

Some times I need 5 full hits for a medium armored opponent with my mw longsword, next time I 2 hit an fully lommed str crutcher with +3 plate.

It is so fucking random, make it more stable for gods sake.

The random range of the soak formula isn't even close to what you describe; the difference is caused by other factors that are hard to predict but definitely not random, like speed bonus and sweetspots.
Would you like us to remove those as well and make attacks deal a fixed amount of damage no matter what?

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
10 HP per hit, no matter what weapon you use? I see 30 STR + builds incoming then!

I like stuff being randomly, not a 100% though but a lot of it.

You can not control the outcome of a battle, cRPG engine is clearly aimed toward that, and it is one of the greatest element of this mod.

People tend to want to be a hero though, see Leshma for example. A stupid thought however.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:56:14 pm by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
well melee is a pretty random thing :P im sure if you tried to hit someone with a sword you would hit slightly differently every time, you may glance you may not :P if your a better player then you will win anyway
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
well melee is a pretty random thing :P im sure if you tried to hit someone with a sword you would hit slightly differently every time, you may glance you may not :P if your a better player then you will win anyway

Glancing or frequent lucky chamberblocks will get you killed no matter how good you are.