Author Topic: Any change to ranged hit detection?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Any change to ranged hit detection?
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
+2
For few days I am worried by strange ranged behavior.
1. They seem to wait to last moment before release projectile. Few month earlier this was very risky but nowadays its seems that this leads almost to 100% chance that horse or rider gets hit.
2. Also trying to avoid projectile at last moment from very close distance seems more harder.
3. Sound of bypassing arrow and then hit.

So were there any changes to ranged hitboxes or its rather some WSE2 bug  :?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Any change to ranged hit detection?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:26 pm »
+1
Sounds like they finally fixed the ghost arrow bug that was the plague of ranged for so damn long. I surely hope so. Nothing quite as frustrating as watching your weapon pass through a model with no effect.
That however is pure speculation based upon your speculation.  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »
+1
Speculating upon granpappys speculation of your speculation i'd say nothing changed, im still having it. ( or im mad crazy bad crosseyed archer, a good possibility, I admit.i also have this thing with blaming game mechanics for my own flaws, oh dear.  :mrgreen:)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »
Okay, based upon that speculation chain, then I would speculate that you are on the opposite end of a server/client sync issue that I've speculated since WSE2 where a ranged weapon will hit a horse and be seen sticking out of it in the client view, but then suddenly dissappear and be found on the ground in the direction it was shot after the server sent back "no, you missed".
In that speculative theory, your client would tell you that the arrow missed, but then the server would tell your client, "no, you got hit",
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:32 pm »
Thats some heavy speculations ou make there, sadly I have no knowledge of the afore mentioned speculations to speculate further about it. Maybe some dev will notice this and give us a heads up so we wonthave to speculate any further.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:18 am »
Okay, based upon that speculation chain, then I would speculate that you are on the opposite end of a server/client sync issue that I've speculated since WSE2 where a ranged weapon will hit a horse and be seen sticking out of it in the client view, but then suddenly dissappear and be found on the ground in the direction it was shot after the server sent back "no, you missed".
In that speculative theory, your client would tell you that the arrow missed, but then the server would tell your client, "no, you got hit",

Impossible, client doesn't run hit detection code. If an arrow sticks out of a horse or in the ground, that's what the server told it.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:33 am »
Impossible, client doesn't run hit detection code. If an arrow sticks out of a horse or in the ground, that's what the server told it.

Well then, there is a bug where the server tells the client that there is a throwing spear sticking out of a horse (you can see it in the horse while the horse is riding off), then a second later it tells it that it isn't (the throwing spear disappears from the horse's flank) and the throwing spear is on the ground in the original path thrown. Does the same thing with arrows too. It is just more obvious with throwing because you are closer and somebody didn't shrink those ranged missiles down so small that you can't see them.  :o

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:07:07 am »
Damn CMP nice combo breaker!

For a second I thought this thread was about speculations!  :P
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
Well then, there is a bug where the server tells the client that there is a throwing spear sticking out of a horse (you can see it in the horse while the horse is riding off), then a second later it tells it that it isn't (the throwing spear disappears from the horse's flank) and the throwing spear is on the ground in the original path thrown.

That's not possible as well. When the first hit is registered the server doesn't look for more (also there is no way for the server to tell a client to "unstick" an arrow from an agent).

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »
Could you tell us what you speculate is happening then?

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:57:21 pm »
That's not possible as well. When the first hit is registered the server doesn't look for more (also there is no way for the server to tell a client to "unstick" an arrow from an agent).

Well your not possible is running right up against "this is what we are seeing". You throw your weapon, it sticks into the horse and the horse rides off with it. Then about a second later it disappears from the horse and is found laying on the ground along the direction that it was thrown. You'll have to speculate as to how this is happening, but it certainly is after WSE2.