Author Topic: Steel pick 13 str  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Steel pick 13 str
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »
+1
A MW pasta cutter (70 reach) is an excellent dueling weapon though.

Put those turn rate changes on NA servers (especially siege) so we can see for ourselves the awesomeness of the pasta cutta.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:15 pm »
I have been using the Italian Falchion lately, and it certainly is great against many opponents, but against an lhb or glaive or patient backpedaling greatsworder, you put yourself at a disadvantage. 35c is good, but it's still just cut damage. I think it's a better weapon in battle than in a duel, without a doubt.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 05:44:07 pm »
+1
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting within the 32-34 base cut range for some of the shorter 1h swords, 30 cut base is way too weak and only usable when loomed. Even so, there's no reason not to use an axe instead for the shield breaking or a pick/hammer.

As far as the 13 str pick is concerned, the change is really only isolating a very low minority, implying that 12 strength steel pick is any better than 15 strength or what have you. The rondel does the pick's job even better, anyways, and works better as a sidearm. It's also shorter than many of those other weapons without much difference in weight.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 07:23:45 pm »
Not to be a huge derail, but lately my 34cut 1h at 7 ps has been taking 4-7 hits to kill an armored opponent. A pick 1-2. Just feels.....wrong, and boring to only be useful with one type.

Not to mention strat, but recently in a battle with 1h mw winged mace. Totally useless, topping scoreboard with no kills. Hit enemies on average 3-4, none died. What is making 1h so bad?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 07:42:07 pm »
+1
What is making 1h so bad?

In a vacuum 1h hasn't really changed, but 2h has gotten so powerful that 1h feels pathetic now. Now you have all these 2h heroes running around with stats like this:

lvl 34
27/18
8 IF
9 PS
6 ATH
78 hit points
70 body armor
45 cut, 97 speed weapon (+3 Miaodao)

Your 34 cut, 7 PS might as well be a Wooden Stick to that guy. Meanwhile, he will probably one-shot you. So you take a pick/hammer, only to have this 2h hero blockkick you, then one-shot you again.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »
Lower base damage 1h weps (so especially 90-105 length swords) have been hardest hit by the continual increase in average armour levels (due to looming and more people being able to afford daily maintanance losses with loompoint sales).

The advantage is you can get valor really easily with these weps but it's not very satisfying  compared to actually killing people with a steel pick or warhammer.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:57 pm »
+2
The place where the weaknesses of 1h cut weapons compared to 1h pierce or blunt weapons really comes out for me is in major Strategus battles, where there will usually be a greater concentration of high level players (30+) in fully heirloomed equipment than in battle. I recently participated in several of them, and the difference between having a +1 or +3 fighting axe vs. having a +0 warhammer or +0 or +1 steel pick was very striking.

In the battle where I had a fighting axe, I had a less than 1:2 kdr. This was not because I fought exceptionally poorly (although it wasn't my best showing...) or because I was not used to the weapon, as I've done the equivalent of several generations with falchions and other short 1h weapons, but because I could hit the other player 5 times and not actually kill him. The worst part though? The enemy army wasn't even in plate. They were in heirloomed surcoats over mail. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if they had been in churburgs or something.

In the battles where I had warhammers or picks available, I did significantly better. In all of the battles in question, I did better than 2:1 on kdr, and I almost went 4:1 on one of them. I don't think I played that much better or differently compared to the previous example I gave; rather, the main difference was just that I could drop an enemy in 3-4 good hits max instead of needing 6-8 hits from full health.

I'm not sure what, if anything, could be done about this though. Improving cut 1hs would invite complaints from people who only play the game modes where they are perfectly fine, such as normal battle, and doing something about the efficacy of heirloomed armor would also improve the position of 2h and polearm.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
Try fighting in a strategus 3 AI defense of a city who bought all cut 1h weapons and going up against DRZ in their heirloomed Druzhina elite lamellar armor...it was literally HORRIBLE.  Pierce/Blunt are absolutely a necessity in strategus sieges, but still important in battles (considering the high level players and loomed higher tier armor)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »
If you use a steel pick in battle you are a bundle of sticks.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:24 am »
In a vacuum 1h hasn't really changed, but 2h has gotten so powerful that 1h feels pathetic now. Now you have all these 2h heroes running around with stats like this:

lvl 34
27/18
8 IF
9 PS
6 ATH
78 hit points
70 body armor
45 cut, 97 speed weapon (+3 Miaodao)

Your 34 cut, 7 PS might as well be a Wooden Stick to that guy. Meanwhile, he will probably one-shot you. So you take a pick/hammer, only to have this 2h hero blockkick you, then one-shot you again.

Ah, explains why I rarely duel. So how does the playing field get leveled with 1h builds? Lower shield skill requirements? I agree this is a strat only issue, no troubles in siege due to everyone and theur mother is not in 70+ armor. Perhaps strat is too wealthy? Maybe high tier equipment should be difficult to gather, battle fields privelidged to have some equipment. Maybe add equipment maimtenace costs in strat? Just feels like knight wars and not so men of war.

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »

Comparing a level 34 2h build to a level 30 1h isn't very fair, a 1h at that level would have  a comparably great build.

Also long 1h weapons probably have an advantage over 2h and pole in 1v1s or are atleast even, and that is the reason you choose cut over pierce as 1h since picks ect are pretty awful in 1v1s vs any one good. The cut weapons don't need a damage buff.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
Comparing a level 34 2h build to a level 30 1h isn't very fair, a 1h at that level would have  a comparably great build.

Also long 1h weapons probably have an advantage over 2h and pole in 1v1s or are atleast even, and that is the reason you choose cut over pierce as 1h since picks ect are pretty awful in 1v1s vs any one good. The cut weapons don't need a damage buff.

Balb is like lvl 35, and I think he's 18/24. Thanks to shield weight and short weapons, 1h realize pretty quickly that they need to be faster than the 2h heroes they are fighting to have a chance. Except Turbo, dunno how he is so slow but still does so well. I tried 27/12 one gen, it was my worst shielder gen ever.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:36 am »
I dunno... I like the (good) axes the most in strat most of the time, and I do fairly well. Not unless the whole other team has full plate, but anything underneath is fair game. One can use the steel pick with 4ath without too much trouble, but it does take certain methods of play to get in close. That's why I disagree with the OP, the steel pick can be even better for STR builds anyways.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 06:21:01 am »