Author Topic: Steel pick 13 str  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Steel pick 13 str
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
+2
1h stats are pretty balanced, but the animation sweet spots need some work. 1h right swing has a massive delay (balanced with the reach bonus), but the fact that it glances during the first 50% of the animation makes it only useful against unaware people. And 1h thrust is a dumpster fire of fail.

It must be a EU thing, because the 12 Str steel pick spammer isn't exactly the scourge of NA. You see them sometimes, but they are one-hit by any 2h weapon, and everyone just backpedals/kicks them. When a 1h is wrecking the NA siege server (only one I play), it's usually with a cut weapon.

I used a +3 Steel Pick for at least a generation, and I have had better success with nearly every other +3 1h weapon I have tried (KAS, Grosse Messer, Military Hammer, Military Cleaver, 1h Battle Axe).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »
+1
I'm talking about 1hs with already low cut damage: 26-30, +2, maybe +1 for the higher weaps to keep internal balance. A lot of the pierce/blunt need to be slightly weakened. Below 28 pierce/blunt gets into the crappy territory for such short weapons, though.

The turn speed changes on the test server favor 1h swords over maces/picks/hammers, especially the shorter swords. It's why I traded for a Grosse Messer; it will have turn rates close to native.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »
+3
If sweetspots are fixed, I don't think the 1h stats need to change at all. Left swing barely even has a lack of sweetspot while right swing's just sucks. I disagree with steel pick performing worse, performs around the same.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »
I'm talking about 1hs with already low cut damage: 26-30, +2, maybe +1 for the higher weaps to keep internal balance.

Yup, while almost all expensive 1h swords are viable weapons, cheap 1h mostly suck  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 07:11:48 pm »
+1
If sweetspots are fixed, I don't think the 1h stats need to change at all. Left swing barely even has a lack of sweetspot while right swing's just sucks. I disagree with steel pick performing worse, performs around the same.

Yeah, I try a few thrusts every round just for giggles, and I swear even perfectly timed thrusts glance most of the time (usually from being too close). You have like 20% of the animation to hit without glancing, which is hard to pull off. Meanwhile, left swing has such a huge sweet spot, I'm always teamwounding people at my 8 o'clock. I'd gladly trade some left swing sweet spot for right swing and thrust sweet spot.

Steel pick was my first 1h gen, so I can probably attribute my suckage to being a novice. I also had a 21/15 build, which isn't ideal with steel pick. I'd try one again now, but I think they look silly. That and I would hate having zero chance against agility builds with longer weapons. A 1h sword gives you a chance in every type of encounter.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »
+2
I went 1h-hero last gen (well kinda, had 130 1h and 75 2h so I could use both modes on a langes messer and clutch with MW HBS on the ground if I need) and I found 1h to be absolutely shit-kickingly brutal. Had a Mw knightly arming and it really didn't glance much and I could do better than a dedicated 2h or pole, I feel. That being said, how many people on NA are pure 1h? San on his alt, me again in the future, and....bobthehero who hasn't played in ages. Yeah. Nobody will stop using the HBS/Glaive long enough to realize that they can be almost as effective while looking cooler and getting 10x the respect.

However, the lower-tier cut weapons, especially the moslem-style ones (which I would never use anyway) are quite shite. So bad that nobody will even think about using them to save money.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »
+2
Yup, while almost all expensive 1h swords are viable weapons, cheap 1h mostly suck  :?

So the long espada, the most expensive 1h, is cheap ? wtf

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 02:28:47 pm »
+1
That being said, how many people on NA are pure 1h? San on his alt, me again in the future, and....bobthehero who hasn't played in ages. Yeah. Nobody will stop using the HBS/Glaive long enough to realize that they can be almost as effective while looking cooler and getting 10x the respect.

Maduin has been a pure swashbuckler with a +3 KAS for several months now. He routinely tops the scoreboard on NA Siege.

And Horns has been going Rondel-only for a while and strangely doing very well. I'd say Rondel needs a nerf more than Steel Pick. About the same damage, but with 15 (!) more speed.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
So the long espada, the most expensive 1h, is cheap ? wtf

Let me quote myself:
almost all expensive 1h swords are viable weapons, cheap 1h mostly suck

Reading problems?  :wink: Moreover, long espada is fine  :wink:

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
+1
It's true when you compare those 2 weapons. But compare steel pick with any 1h sword except mil cleaver. "cut weapons are given arbitrarily much higher base damage"? Really? :rolleyes:
This times a million, looked through the 1h weaponry, there are a total of 2 1h straight swords that have an amazing amount known as 1 damage more than the steel pick, and one (italian falchion) which got the outrageous amount that goes by the name of 2 more damage than the steel pick, and that is when you forget that it is cut...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
Let me quote myself:
Reading problems?  :wink: Moreover, long espada is fine  :wink:

On EU_1, maybe. Idk. The cut is still crap.

Even if you you got plenty of effective wpf (which implies low armor) and a healthy amount of PS, 1h straight swords with good stab damage need a fuckload of hits to kill with swings. On the other hand, 1h straight swords with weak stabs (ACS, NCS...) have good swings but the stab is a purely useless suicide button. Cheap 1h include the military hammer, liuyedao, military cleaver, military pick, italian falchion, the axes and even the italian sword if you consider it cheap. All in all 1h are very well balanced internally. The steel pick does a lot of damage but 64 length simply isn't worth it.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
+1
Steel pick is the best 1h weapon for sieges...not so much for battle.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
This times a million, looked through the 1h weaponry, there are a total of 2 1h straight swords that have an amazing amount known as 1 damage more than the steel pick, and one (italian falchion) which got the outrageous amount that goes by the name of 2 more damage than the steel pick, and that is when you forget that it is cut...

I found archerbud AFK yesterday. He's probably something like a 24/15 build, wearing a Sallet with Visor (+coif maybe?), possibly loomed, so somewhere between 57-63 head armor. I use a +3 Grosse Messer, so 36 cut. Definitely on the high end of cut damage for 1h. I have 6 Power strike, 130ish wpf. I opened with a held swing to the head, with full speed bonus. It then took at least 6 more swings to the head to kill him. So 7 total swings to the head.

I can't imagine the agony of playing with an unloomed 1h sword. It must take 10+ swing to kill anyone. If someone really hates 1h pierce/blunt weapons, perhaps they should lobby for 1h swords to get a bit of a buff? I enjoy playing with 1h swords, but they are totally harmless to anyone with at least loomed medium armor. We're not even talking plate here.

Steel pick does about the same damage as a 2h sword, with less than half the reach. I don't see how that's a problem.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
+1
Not a big fan of the glancing with 1h's, but I think the swords are about right for internal 1h balance.  You can get long and fast swords, the only down side is they do cut damage and usually relatively low.  Or you can get a slower/shorter weapon (sometimes both) and deal a lot more damage. 

I personally always chose the sword over a shorter pierce/blunt weapon just because if I hit the enemy with my sword (it may take 2 hits to do the damage of a pick), at least he's not hitting me.  It's nice for keeping enemies from getting in too close.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:51 pm »
+2
I personally always chose the sword over a shorter pierce/blunt weapon just because if I hit the enemy with my sword (it may take 2 hits to do the damage of a pick), at least he's not hitting me.  It's nice for keeping enemies from getting in too close.

I agree. I think I like 1h swords because while your ceiling is lower (you won't be 1-shotting anyone), your floor is higher (you won't spend many fights whiffing at air like with a steel pick against an agility build). Having to hit some guy in plate 10 times to kill him is annoying, but still satisfying if you pull it off. Getting s-keyed to death by an Agi glaiver because you can't get within range makes anyone want to throw their keyboard through a window.

I think that's what keeps the steel pick balanced. You can pull off some amazing feats (2-shotting people), but there are certain fights where you don't even have a chance (duel-type situations against Agi builds, maulers, skilled kickers, throwing kiters, etc). Good players can use the steel pick and learn to avoid those situations, but I don't have the discipline to run away from the mauler or ninja; I have to test my mettle.