Author Topic: why nerf gen bonus?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
Re: why nerf gen bonus?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:15:31 am »
I've got a proposal for a new system -

5% of all characters that currently exist are chosen to be nobles.  Nobody else can use metal equipment. 

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:22 am »
Like in real life you mean?

Since when is this game based on real life at such an extreme level?

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:57 am »
Yeah like in real life :
Folks are stupid and selfish...

Offline Daergar

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daergar_the_Tank
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
Wouldn't it be far easier to implement a generation cap per character, six or nine perhaps? Existing characters with higher gen than that (surely not an unmanageable amount) could have their surplus generations transfered to alts.

That way it's possible to catch up eventually, whilst not being overpowered once you do.

Reducing the xp-gain now surely only penalizes the newer players?

Offline Zahmbomb

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Thank You !!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • Game nicks: Zahmbomb
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:59 am »
I've got a proposal for a new system -

5% of all characters that currently exist are chosen to be nobles.  Nobody else can use metal equipment.
increases that number a bit and i like it.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 12:27:05 am »
Reducing xp gain does penalize new players, that's the problem. The only thing this system does is makes the game all the more elitist and removes the ability from everyone to try new builds out. XP bonus was removed so now it takes forever just to hit level 30. Same as everyone, but now, after people had passed the "grind" part of this game, they're sent back into it. Just double the xp gain for everyone and you can have all the looms back with pretty much no one complaining.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 02:13:13 am »
This is awesome for those who are level 34+ now. Nobody will ever catch them  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 06:16:27 am »
There's no point in retiring anymore with this new experience nerf.

Higher generation people like myself have all the advantages over new players and we will all stop retiring now that you've taken our bread and butter away.

If i get up to level 35, I'm pretty much going to be a demi-god.

and in a couple of months, when I'm level 35 and you suddenly want to change the nerf back (so people will start retiring again)... it'll be too late.

None of us will want to retire after getting up that high, because we'll already godlike.

It'll be too late to change things back to the way they were without having to do something drastic; like setting players generation numbers down. (I'm sure that will go over well  :rolleyes:)

Overall, this decision is only going to end up hurting the community in one way or another.

Mark my words.

You were all better off when we were on even ground; frankly because you can only wear so many heirloomed items.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:19:21 am by Spook Island »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 06:18:37 am »
yeah yeah yea, I am still going to retire everytime I hit level 31, and Canary is already level 33... so several people have beat you to "becoming a god."

besides, if Canary does not hit level 35 first, lord knows Kesh will with her 25/25 build.

You will still die on the battle fields, as our gods are rather mortal.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 06:21:34 am »
you must not read very well because i never said 33 was god-hood

but besides that, you will undoubtedly be eating your own words in a couple months when the gap between die-hards and new/casual players becomes so great that patchmakers have no other choice but to do something drastic to change things back to the way they were before.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 06:28:22 am »
you must not read very well because i never said 33 was god-hood

but besides that, you will undoubtedly be eating your own words in a couple months when the gap between die-hards and new/casual players becomes so great that patchmakers have no other choice but to do something drastic to change things back to the way they were before.

You did say 35 was, and since Canary is level 33 he has a significant head start. Forgive me, but you best read better lest I say the same to you, good sir.

We already have at least two players who are past level 70 ffs. That already is a massive difference, and I still don't care. A gen is a gen is a gen, and while a level 35 will have a nice advantage over a level 30, it will still not be something I am too worried about. You worked for it, you earned it, and you will still die to range, ninjas, better players, exploits, or a half dozen melee players deciding to work together, or even a pair of expert fighters tag teaming properly, and of course Lady Luck. Have fun with your Demi-God build, you earned it, and I still don't care if I win or die against it and I will still be levelin and retiring to keep up my usual "rebalances" as I like to change stats every gen for experimentation.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:49 am »
As much as I'd look forward to you eating your words in a couple months when things do pan out my way (which they most certainly will because time is on my side)

I'm smart enough to realize that you won't be able to change it to back the way it was without having to force that change and take away progress in some form or another.

There's a general consensus among veterans of this game (you know.. the people who have played a lot longer than you and have actually seen the game progress) that this is going to hurt new players far more than it'll ever hurt us.

You should try listening to us instead of just babbling third-hand accounts.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 06:45:14 am »
And I am sorry to say that the level of hurt is not appreciable for me, at least. If you forced me to stay at level 20 cap while others enjoy 30 I am sorry to say that I would still play the game.

To each their own.

To Clarify: I am listening, but I have the arrogance to discount most of the things I hear, due to innumerable reasons as I find the judgement to be rather suspect for most accounts. I have seen this reaction in many games whenever a patch of this magnitude hits, and usually it takes the two week mark for things to actually be credible, and the 4-5 week mark to show trends that highlight the majority of the flaws.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:51:01 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 06:53:20 am »
Not every other new player is so appreciate of eating the 'shit sandwich,' and I think it's pretty unrealistic to think there are many of them out there.

Honestly, it's kind of hard for me to imagine new players gladly settling for scraps.

New players already have to deal with a steep learning curve, now they have to deal with a steep item/generation curve too.

Something about that just doesn't seem logical to me; especially if we're actually trying to get new people to join the community.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:21 am »
Said it somewhere else, but I fully support xp cap on bonus xp for gens.  But I think they should have kept it at 10% per gen, they didn't need to change both as either solution worked toward the same goal, reducing exponential xp for higher gens.  However, an xp cap benefits newer players relative to older players by still providing significant benefit for the first 9 or 10 gens with xp in addition to the heirloom as the current xp system is a serious grind once you hit level 30.  As it is their is an xp bonus for more gens before hitting the cap but such a small gain that higher gen people are still vastly ahead.  I know a lot of people still in their first 3 gens and it is a nightmare enough if you want to even think about getting one weapon masterworked (which now has been considerably nerfed in benefits).  This would still produce the same result as higher gen character would still have exact same max xp gain, but lower gen people wouldn't be punished for starting with cRPG later than others.

P.S. By the way my original goal was 36, with new patch its obviously only 35 at some point in the future (xp cap will significantly extend the time to get there) and was doing a 21/21 build fully functional hybrid with 120 in 2h and 138 in archery, not monster stats, if anything lower in both than most dedicated archers or 2hers at level 30, just because I get really bored playing only 1 classs for too long and this is better than having 2 alts and yes I know with 2 slot equipment can't play both at same time, which is fine with me.  Think patch was great, my only real personal disappointment is they gave in to the complaining about archery and longbow went back to being an inaccurate piece of crap (with hotfix) instead of my favorite weapon used for slow, but long range sniping on the battlefield (having an arrow shoot an arced straight line instead of veering left/right is not OP, as you have to be quite skilled to plot a target's movements and adjust for ping differences and and the ahtletics of the target to hit them at very long ranges).  But I guess like everyone else I found something that personally affected me so i thought it was done wrong, but maybe its for the best of the player community in the long run, much like many of the other nerfs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:18:03 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo