• Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
Re: Crushtrough broken on EU1
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:25 pm »
i'd say put back the old crushthrough, BUT remove knockdown when crashthrough amazing power manage to pass over the up block
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline slimpyman

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:02 pm »
+1
I dont use mauls but i find this to be a silly nerf.   When in seige and people are blocking doorways, this is going to negate the benefit to having a maul crushthrough to clean open the door.

bad nerf imo.this may balance 1v1s, but is detrimental to the class.

Me using a pike, the maul is seriously the biggest counter balance to a piker. block down, get in range and overhead. now that i noticed a couple maulers i encountered, i seriously RAPED the mauler. he did block down, but he couldnt get through my up block!     Now im all for this game being competitive and not blind when it comes to balance.   But this nerf really hurts the maulers.  No longer are the good at 1v1s, but they are weak against support (pikes and longspears)

Just for tweaking sake. If the devs really feel comfortable about the crushthough not working unless the attack is held, you should really think of ways to balance it out. at the moment, its really dropping the value of using a maul.   a game that balances from the bottom up (low tier to top tier) is a better balancing system then going from the top down (top tier to bottom tier)  I have participated in much testing for a wide range of games, and ALL games tend to become less fun when you nerf stuff to bring it down, rather then buffing stuff to make it more viable.

lets just discuss why this change was implemented and figure out how to right this wrong.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:24:40 pm by slimpyman »

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:43 pm »
+1
i'd say put back the old crushthrough, BUT remove knockdown when crashthrough amazing power manage to pass over the up block
there is no knockdown, when crushing through block.

I always thought the shield/block sucked up quite a bit of the damage. Has always seemed like that from my own experience with using and defending against mauls :?
Definetly, I need at least 3 hits with 7 PS 40 blunt for a highlvl shielder, when he is blocking with shield, while I need 1-3 hits without them blocking.

There was no need for a nerf at all, since the turning limit CT vs. shielder is very balanced, I was actually expecting a damage buff to long maul all the time.. but I guess the long maul lobby is to weak^^

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 08:04:26 pm »
+1
New patch:

- increased crushthrough damage from 40-60% to 70-80% (test server only)

Maulers might get a buff to combat the hold nerf

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:53 pm »
Personally i hate Crushtrough.  I do like that changes. Maulers became a plague on EU2.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 08:25:26 pm »
+1
I have no idea what EU9 is. Current test servers are EU1 and EU3 (in WSE2 you can see a "beta" checkbox in the server browser).

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
New patch:

- increased crushthrough damage from 40-60% to 70-80% (test server only)

Maulers might get a buff to combat the hold nerf
I don't see how that is making things better. Maulers are most annoying on top of a ladder and when guarding doors, the hold thingy isn't really affecting that, while the crushthrough damage increase is making it worse.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 09:14:02 pm »
Frankly I dont get why people are so happy about this nerf. Its not like the maulers were such a big deal before the patch. Shit even I with my butterknife managed to take couple out from time to time and when I used my 2h, baaaaah maulers were dogmeat. Turning already a hard class more hard is nothing to rejoice about. Im gonna miss the maulers, they will be a rare sight after this. :cry:

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 09:20:33 pm »
1on1 with long maul vs long spear = auto loss

chambering stabs is as useless as fainting overheads -> removed every skill from my class :mrgreen:

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 10:54:48 pm »
Personally i hate Crushtrough.  I do like that changes. Maulers became a plague on EU2.

funny how every shielder hates mauls. biased much?

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:16 pm »
Frankly I dont get why people are so happy about this nerf. Its not like the maulers were such a big deal before the patch. Shit even I with my butterknife managed to take couple out from time to time and when I used my 2h, baaaaah maulers were dogmeat. Turning already a hard class more hard is nothing to rejoice about. Im gonna miss the maulers, they will be a rare sight after this. :cry:

a hard class?

ah i get it, you are being ironic, oh lol i nearly fell for that one............

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »
+3
Turning already a hard class more hard is nothing to rejoice about. Im gonna miss the maulers, they will be a rare sight after this. :cry:
Mauler isn't a class. A mauler is some normal 2h my old friendgot that takes a great maul instead of his great sword to get easy kills on the siege servers.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:37 am »
a hard class?

ah i get it, you are being ironic, oh lol i nearly fell for that one............

Seriuslly, I see it to be somewhat hard. I dunno about you man, but I have enough brainpower to easly take out a mauler with a butterknife or some other weapon. They have never really bothered me. Every time I saw a mauler. I knew I could take him/her. They are slow and the overheads are only things that crushtrough. Its not hard to dodge those slow as ass crushtroughhits. Learn2play is my suggestion not beg for nerfs. This was definately a working class that got pointlessly nerfed. Over all my gametime ive like seen only 3 maulers who I really cant beat and I suck when I go on a maulingspree.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »
+2
That can't be right? I'm pretty sure crushthrough does not decrease damage, how can a 37 blunt damage (it's a lot) weapon with 9 PS need 4-5 hits?
I just wanted to say that my usual tactic to deal with crushthrough as a longspear is walking backwards, upblocking and waiting for help. The block reduces damage from the crushthrough hit a lot.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 02:32:02 am »
+3
First of all, let me say that I approve that you are looking into the CT mechanics. However the situation is now that you started changing it, the fact is that you are changing things. With some feedback and tweaking I think we can get CT to it's proper place. I've always liked CT as it brings something very different to the battlefield. A mechanic that isn't very common and very different from the other fighting styles. It's good to have variety.

I did some tests some time ago with the great maul and mallet (both unloomed) against a guy with a regular huscarl and 6 shieldskill. It wasn't any fancy testing, but it did give me some insight.
(click to show/hide)

What the tests showed:
An unloomed Great Maul needed 7 PS and no wpf to CT on most things. A Mallet needed 8 PS and no wpf to CT on most things.

These tests actually made me think of going 24/12 2h/archer hybrid with a Mallet and a Horn Bow. It would give me good ranged capabilites while also giving me a very powerfull melee weapon. Now with the changes, I'm actually relived, since I kinda think that would be a bit too OP hybrid.

How Mauling was recently changed:
After reading Kulins posts I assume the following:
A GM can still CT most things without needing to hold.
A Mallet can NOT CT most thing unless it holds the attack.
A Maul can NOT CT most things, unless you got a LOT of PS (12+?).

I know I should go an test this out myself, but since I almost always hold my attacks (especially when I use CT weapons), this would have me change my playstyle a lot, meaning I wouldn't get "proper" combat testing of it. My apologies.

My thoughts:
So we got the case that the GM, which has always been the most powerful of the mauls, still maintaining it's CT capabilities, while the Mallet and Maul is now weaker when it comes to CT. They didn't do anything with the speed, damage and other stats, it was only the CT mechanics that was changed.

I actually think this is a good idea. After all: the GM is the only 3 slot 2h. Why should it NOT be the best in what it does (CT) when the others are just 2 slots? The thing with the mallet was that is was a proper CT weapon as long as you had 8 PS. Considering that many 2h builds are of the 24/15 variant, greatswords/bastard swords (some of the best dueling weapons) were also 2 slots, made the 2h sword&mallet a really powerful setup. I know, since I was it many gens ago (although I used a bardiche and not sword for the most part. Upkeep :P). I say we keep the mallet as a powerful secondary/main hybrid weapon, but make it so it can only CT if you are doing held attacks OR got so much STR you are pretty much dedicating yourself to mauling. It's not the best for 15/24 crossbowmen, but it should be great (as it already is) for 24/15. They just need to hold their overheads and not do a "quickswing" (or whatever we call non-held swings).

Now that we are already looking at the mauling mechanics, I think we can expand on the hybrid/dedicated CT weapon idea. I've always wanted more diversity in the slot system, more 1 and 3 slot items (and 2 slot 1h). So, we got the superior maul, GM, being 3 slots. We got the secondary maul, Mallet, being 2 slots and we got the inferior maul, the Maul, also being 2 slots. You can probably guess where I am heading... Let's make the Maul 1 slot.

I've been wanting to propose this for some time, but didn't because of how the CT mechanics worked. They were based on Damage and weapon weight. The thing with making the Maul 1 slot is that it would then be a really, REALLY good sidearm. Having a 1 slot CT weapon that could CT would just be too OP. Sure, it wouldn't CT most things unless you had 10+ PS, but with 5 or more, I am guessing there's enough weapons (1h swords, bastard swords etc), that it could CT. Ofc, this could be fixed by reducing the damage or weight of the Maul, but that would just gimp it. But now that we can make it so it wont CT with low PS, while not having to do anything with the damage or weight, I think this could be something cool to experience with. This would be a huge boost to the Dedicated archers&crossbowmen*, but since this would make most of them not run, I say it's a good thing.

Damn. It's late and I got more to say, but I am fucking tired. Posting this and re-reading it tomorrow. Hope it's not too derp.

EDIT: Just remembered one thing I wanted to say:
To that guy complaining about CT weapons not being able to do "their job". Chillax. He mentioned something about "what when people are blocking the door? We need Mauls to run up and CT them!". Well, I'm not gonna mention that kicks also work against shieldwall (oooops, seems I did), but why would this change for maulers? I don't know with you, but when I went running up to fuck up some shielders blocking a door, I ran in with the overhead ready to go. There's nothing stopping you from readying the overhead and then rushing the shieldwall. Ofc, they can interrupt you, but then they aren't shielding anymore now are they? Same goes for defending a ladder. Sure, we had the people spamming overheads with mauls there, but the maulers that did best where usually the ones that held it and timed it for when people actually went up the ladder.
Now, for real this time, I'm going to sleep. GN.

* For me, you can put builds in 3 categoriez. Pure, dedicated and hybrid. A pure archer is one of those scum who takes archery and ONLY archery. No PS, no melee wpf and usually nothing but a wooden stick to block with. A dedicated is still mainly an archer, but he got at least 3 or 4 PS. Not always wpf, but even with 50 melee wpf, it's still a dedicated archer. Archer is the primary role. A hybrid is a build that is equal in two or more things. 6 PD, 6 PS archer comes to mind. Or my 24/12 thrower/1h build. Currently: most throwers are hybrids, most xbowmen are dedicated and most archers are pure, just to give you a reference.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:38:23 pm by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia