Author Topic: This double hit business  (Read 17073 times)

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
Re: This double hit business
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »
+2
Does every single thread have to degenerate into either a weapon class dick-waving match, or an NA vs EU dick-waving match? That got really old over a year ago.

If it didn't this would be a really really boring forum.  :lol:
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »
+1
It's pretty common, quite a lot of players learned how to "bypass" the shield with longer pole/2h, you get the impression that guy is right in front of you and the hit should land on your shield, yet it hits your side.

I've seen this, but I attribute it to having a relatively low shield skill. I usually have 4 or 5 and I think the "force field" effect gets larger as your skill increases. Maybe the shield skill should be capped at 10 and the relative size of the force field adjusted so that it is larger at lower shield skill levels and remove this weird looking effect at lower shield levels. Right now, a small shield with the hidden higher skill level appears in game to be better than a very large shield with the hidden lower shield skill level. We know it is due to skill points, but in game it looks very weird.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2013, 06:31:55 pm »
+1
...or an NA vs EU dick-waving match?...

An oldie but a goodie....right?  :rolleyes:
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Sable Keech

• Earl
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I know a good rye when I see one
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Keech
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »
+2
You play a class that has a weapon like Bar Mace and call 1h op? Aren't you using a Bastard Sword all the time btw?  :lol:
atm danisch and longsword( longsword is op but I use that for soo long time)
but during my 35 gens I played every class witchout pure archer,
also I play 1h shield on my alt(4 gens as shielder) and 7 as xbower also alt,
that gives me over 40 gens and 5 of them are on Shielder,

bar Mace is unbalanced have 92 speed with 96 lenght
compare to warhamer it is not soo op and....

we can follow that  conversation and claim wich class is better and who have longer e pen,
in my opinion  1h is relly good classe with some + and - like every class

and you, better obey that awesome axe :P

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »
+2
Heaven forbid those 5-7 points spent in shield that could be used elsewhere can have a use every now and then.. Shields have a healthy number of disadvantages that prevents them from being too strong in any way, yet unique.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01:47 pm »
+2
Heaven forbid those 5-7 points spent in shield that could be used elsewhere can have a use every now and then.. Shields have a healthy number of disadvantages that prevents them from being too strong in any way, yet unique.

This. Shields in terms of skill points cost about the same as cavalry, plus one or two weapon slots and more weight. One deserves to get an advantage out of this. Or maybe crutching on IF isn't good enough.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2013, 08:55:12 pm »
+1
This. Shields in terms of skill points cost about the same as cavalry, plus one or two weapon slots and more weight. One deserves to get an advantage out of this. Or maybe crutching on IF isn't good enough.

Well, they are a massive boon.

After I discovered the merits of having a decent shield skill, I've never had a build without it. Ranged, couches, groupfights... Shields are awesome, and most are 1-slot only as well, meaning you can bring a lot of other stuff.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:37 pm »
I was thinking that incorporating wpf into the turnspeed formula would be interesting, making oft neglected WM more important.  This is mostly moot since cmp announced that each weapon's turn rate will be adjusted individually, but perhaps each weapon could have an individually assigned turn rate that wpf could improve (linear, non-linear idk), just like each weapon has an attack speed rating that wpf improves.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:38 pm »
Fighting one shielder is quite easy yeah, but when outnumbered I'd prefer fighting two 2h stab-heroes or whatever than two shielders.
Reasons for this are their fast (often unblockable) attacks, the forcefields of the shields, which result often in my swings being blocked before I can actually swing, no space to actually swing (on siege) while they can spam like crasy without having to fear their swing will get stuck in a wall.
Also as someone relying on chamberblocking, shielder are hardest to fight, because the timeframe is due to the length/speed of the 1h weapons very short, in many situations it is simply impossible to chamberblock, which buggers me the most..

According to recent chrush-through nerf and the upcomming turn-rate adjustment it will become a lot easier for them.. 1h damage (especially knockdown weapons and picks) is already op in my opinion and will need adjustment in the future.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2013, 12:08:49 am »
+1
According to recent chrush-through nerf and the upcomming turn-rate adjustment it will become a lot easier for them.. 1h damage (especially knockdown weapons and picks) is already op in my opinion and will need adjustment in the future.

On paper, the maces/hammers/picks seem awesome, but in practice, most people just backpedal away from you while swinging. If you actually get close enough to land a hit, chances are your teammates will hit you also. I did a couple gens with both Steel Pick and Warhammer, and I've never been TKed so much. Also, you get kicked a lot. Only situation where they own is on top of a ladder or in a tight corridor on siege, but mauls are much better for those situations anyway. The most successful 1H (on NA siege at least, all I play) are all using 1H swords now, not picks or hammers. Since it takes a 1h sword 5-10 hits to kill anyone now, you'd be hard pressed to call those OP.

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2013, 12:17:41 am »
Oh yeah, I was also thinking that unrounded, non-integer values for turn rate (or using another system with more than the 10 values 5-14) would be a good thing in the name of greater weapon differentiation i.e. fairly similar weapons would be made very slightly more different with subtle turn rate variations. 

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:51 am »
+2
Fighting one shielder is quite easy yeah, but when outnumbered I'd prefer fighting two 2h stab-heroes or whatever than two shielders.
Reasons for this are their fast (often unblockable) attacks, the forcefields of the shields, which result often in my swings being blocked before I can actually swing, no space to actually swing (on siege) while they can spam like crasy without having to fear their swing will get stuck in a wall.
Also as someone relying on chamberblocking, shielder are hardest to fight, because the timeframe is due to the length/speed of the 1h weapons very short, in many situations it is simply impossible to chamberblock, which buggers me the most..

This simply isn't true. It is faster to use a 1 hander without the shield than it is to use the shield because you have to lower your shield before swinging (if your shield is down it is the same, but then you wouldn't be blocking either). It isn't unusual to put the shield on your back when going up against a fast spammer so you can get your own hits in rather than simply blocking. Sure, defense is better, but offense is not.
Shielders attacks are certainly not unblockable, and if your issue is chambering, it is simply due to the slower timing. You are trying to chamber too fast for their swing and end up missing the chamber window.
Shielder attacks are also just as prone to getting stuck on a wall or object as any other class. There is no magic "make weapon go through walls if class is a shielder" mechanic in game.
And as Phew stated, just use kick on a turtle.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:38 am »
+1
It is faster to use a 1 hander without the shield than it is to use the shield because you have to lower your shield before swinging (if your shield is down it is the same, but then you wouldn't be blocking either). It isn't unusual to put the shield on your back when going up against a fast spammer so you can get your own hits in rather than simply blocking. Sure, defense is better, but offense is not.

This is...actually untrue. Having a shield has no affect on your swing speed. I tested this a looooong time ago. The only reason to put your shield away when fighting a fast spammer is if you are using a slow shield. A majority of shields block slower than if you were manually blocking.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2013, 06:33:34 am »
This is...actually untrue. Having a shield has no affect on your swing speed. I tested this a looooong time ago. The only reason to put your shield away when fighting a fast spammer is if you are using a slow shield. A majority of shields block slower than if you were manually blocking.

No, it is true if you are holding your shield up. You have to raise it and lower it and that slows things down slightly. If you aren't holding it up, yes, it is the same amount of time. But then you aren't blocking with it. When you don't have a shield it is faster to go from swing to block to swing again.

At least that's my recent experience.