• Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: cRPG is hell for new players
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 01:38:49 am »
+2
Id like to add this certainly not mentioned before suggestion: remove looms

Sure! And re-implement infinite leveling and skill progression like I had to go up against as a new player. Oh yes, re-implement area experience gain so that only players with survivability would get experience when the scrum moved away from your dead newbie corpse so that you really had no chance of ever catching up to veterans! Watching twenty level 25 players unable to take down a single veteran even in a swarm was sooooooo much easier than newbies have it today for sure!

/sarcasm

And yet somehow the mod survived.  :idea: Just make the New Players guide pop up when they login to the website and register their first character with a "don't show this again" checkbox next to it. They may not find the forums, but they have to login to the website.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ToniTcc

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_ToniTcc, Fallen_Inheritor
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:04 am »
Well I can still remember my first time in Crpg. Can't even remember how I found this mod, but it happened anyway. Came about a year ago, I have known mount&blade warband since it was released back 2006? Before I found Crpg I played mount&blade with fire and sword for about 3 months. But the battle mechanism is pretty much different from Crpg's and you couldn't fight in melee so often.

Anyway, when I started a year ago it was all awesome, I'm not a stupid player and usually check for all tips and everything. Didn't do it this time. I made an account, joined a game and started playing. First two weeks went with 21/12 build with skills in riding, archery, 2h, 1h and shield. I got frustrated because I couldn't kill anyone. So I checked the forums for good advices and also found them.
Today I think that I'm better than average player in Crpg community, still can't beat those freaks, who chamber or kick me to death, but I'm still happy with mah skills.

Back to topic. It is fun to help new players, especially since I'm pretty new myself, but still know all the basics already. The problem is that new players are too shy to ask for help. I would gladly help any new player who would just ask for it.
Crpg got one of the best communities what I have ever seen in any game. I'm sure that more players would join, if they knew how helpful, awesome and great place this is. Problem with new games is that so rarely anyone is ready to help you.
I have played WoW, I have asked for help, but only answer what I usually get from there is "use the fucking wow wiki, you noob". Yea wow wiki is full on info, but how can a noob find that info??
Tales of the fallen brigayd wasn't quite the bedtime story I was looking for.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 06:08:12 am »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/beginner's-help-and-guides/
dude, follow the post please. we already agreed that new players dont find their way to the forums without help

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 06:29:34 am »
Just direct them to the forums, there is a beginner forum that has all the information anyone could need.

If they dont have the will to learn on their own, and expect to be coddled through the whole process.......fuck them.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:04 am »
Kulin....

I admit I havent read the whole thread--- but I kinda agree with your OP.

Basically there are 3 factors that, when combined, could crush a new player before they get a chance to get addicted like we all are:
1 - lack of experience with Warband combat
2 - lack of experience with cRPG mechanics and builds
3 - the fact that you start out at lvl 1

The first 2 are enough, the 3rd can (i think) make it difficult for new players to see the light at the end of the tunnel - not only might they be new to M&B combat AND crpg mechanics, but they are also lvl 1 which even GOOD experienced players struggle to do much at lvl 1.

Now...of course the levels go fast etc....and the struggle is part of the fun...but maybe we present new players with a set of options when they first create their account....

Possible Options menu presented to new accounts:

"Are you new to manual attacking and blocking combat?  If so, we suggest you start with a "Skip the Fun" character, and go through our simple tutorial."

[If no, then....]

"Being new to cRPG mechanics and builds, we suggest you start with a "Skip the Fun" character."

[If no, then....]

[start them with level 1 character]

With a skip the fun character at lvl 30, even someone who is just learning the mechanics could eek out a kill or two, and thus start the addiction  :twisted:
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 07:35:39 am »
+1
When people ask questions in the battle or siege servers, I try to keep up with them and answer. If they have a ton of questions I tell them to go to the forums via the flag on their character account page, and read up on guides. If they care that much and want to know the answers to all those questions, they can read. Or watch good players after they die in battle. That's how I learned and I encourage new players to be observant and ask when something doesn't make sense.

Remember when peasants used to hide in a shed and pray that a plate-god didn't roll in and skewer them all? That was my first CRPG experience, and I LOVED it. Sure, I was slaughtered again and again, but seeing those knights tear up a pile of peasants got me excited. One day, I could be That Guy....

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:29 am »
>> forums <<

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:21 am »
+1
build a tutorial option into the patcher, with a skill pyramid: short youtube tutorials covering the basic knowhows to protips.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:46 am »
the first month is really just learning to control the directions. about builds and stuff - forums helped me alot there, I made threads, asked questions etc. new players shhould do that too.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Elmuri

• Marshall
  • Renown: 817
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elmuri and co
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:21 am »
+1
Maybe there could be some info-section in the opening menu, which would explain what each attribute ans skill do and such basic info.

I was a classic samurai with a shield and a bow myself in my first gen, didnt know about forums and something like that would have been very helpfull, though the website explains nowadays at least something. Old ugly one didn't have much info as far as I remember.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 10:23:29 am »
I stumbled upon this forum rather early and checked it. I remember actually finding some newby-threads but I was too lazy to read those walls of text...  :mrgreen:

2nd day on the server and I already started talking to Gnjus by asking something about his crossbow and he actually became some kind of mentor to me  :D

Yes, Gnjus... believe it or not, he taught me the basics by letting me follow around and asking stupid questions. Guess that's where my loyalty comes from  :oops:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Duckzern

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Slurchenburch
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Duckzern
  • IRC nick: Duckzern
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:31 am »
+5
I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I started playing, and when I started out the last thing I wanted to do was reading a wall of text, in a new mod that I might not even like.

In my opinion we should have some sort of Video tutorial, that the browser will redirect to after you're done signing up.

Butts

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:42 am »
i actually never searched for the forum, i have used it ALOT though. i always searched in google things like eg: 'crpg ironflesh cav' if i wanted to know what people thought about ironflesh on horseback. I also found all my (back than crappy) builds there

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »
Played native quite alot, learned the basics.

Then joined a clan because it was fun, learned everything i wanted to know.

Still learning even now tho, its what makes it more fun for me any ways.