• Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
Re: cRPG is hell for new players
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:41 pm »
+2
I can think of worse things. Malaria being one of them. And that's not even that bad compared to having your testicles sliced off with a rusty spoon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »
I can think of worse things. Malaria being one of them. And that's not even that bad compared to having your testicles sliced off with a rusty spoon.
gg, u win.

Anyway back to topic prob. Since this seems to stop alot of the new players, even a few which might have stayed with a little bit of help.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:41:07 pm by _GTX_ »

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »
FUCK YES I WIN GO TO HELL NOOBS ALL YOU NOOBS CAN SUCK IT

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
+4
(click to show/hide)

^
One of the best parts of this game, watching new players make sexy outfits. Don't need them to be kuyak clones straight away.

Anyway, linking a guide with the installation like Teeth suggested might be of good help.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:46:50 pm »
+3
Id like to add this certainly not mentioned before suggestion: remove looms
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »
+4
Give them the guide.we had  :twisted:

Stay near shiny man, try to die near a group, after 2 weeks buy sword :-D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 12:01:42 am »
+1
not all is the community. Tips ingame, menus with small explications, and lots of other stuff could be done to make it less obscure for new (and old casual) players
My fridge is my shield

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1645
  • Infamy: 2044
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 12:05:10 am »
+1
Game mechanics has steep learning curve but imho hardest part is char building system which is explained only in Guides section on forums and many newbies don't visit forums until it's too late. For them it's trial and error because there is no example how effective build should look like.

They should put some predefined builds on site as hints where to put points.

Edit: Grumbs already suggested it, didn't notice before I wrote my post.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:09:56 am by Leshma »

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 12:11:54 am »
+4
(click to show/hide)

^
One of the best parts of this game, watching new players make sexy outfits. Don't need them to be kuyak clones straight away.

Anyway, linking a guide with the installation like Teeth suggested might be of good help.

Is that a long espada I see? Classic. Now the only thing left is a short bow on this guy's back, that would certainly add to the picture.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 12:18:49 am »
+1
I feel like the early difficulty is part of the appeal. Not only that, but I also find it unnecessary to have to teach things to the new guys. Going through my first gen without experienced players to show me the ropes and ending that gen as a 22/18 poorly built 1h shielder / twohander / polearm hybrid with horribly allocated weapon proficiencies taught me a lot. More than enough to fine-tune my build, get the timing of blocking and chambering down and trade on the marketplace (I had a +3 Bec de Corbin shortly after starting my 2nd gen).

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 12:28:29 am »
recognising new players is extremely easy: i join a server, look at the scoreboard, look at how the players look (analysis of both how they choose their armor and what their build is). I atleast find 1 new player each time and i pm them with help.

this is what i would like to ask if people see a new player:
1) help him (or not if you are too lazy)
2) write down his name and pm it to me/post it on the Peasants United thread.
You can also direct them to this thread by telling them to look for the sticky called 'Peasants United' in the faction halls section of this forum.

it would be really cool if people would help us find the new players, our financials are going well again and our armoury is filled since i cleaned it up. We just need advertisement and i hope we get the official announcement on c-rpg.net soon!

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:52 am »
I have to agree. A friend of mine played this and he went completely bonkerz with his build. Had points all over the place. I did help him out of it, though, when we started playing together.

Personally. When I first started playing I just put everything in 2h and the asked someone for a good build for speed. He recommended 15/24. I ran with that 'til I stopped retiring. Now I'm 20/24.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:45 am »
Prebuild optional arquetipes should be implemented, so charachters grow up without  choosing points onyl when unlocking it ingame or in the webpage  http://forum.meleegaming.com/Smileys/default/icon_neutral.gif :D
My fridge is my shield

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:50 am »
Oh man, I've had trouble keeping players here even after teaching the newbies how to play and what to get. Its exactly what you wrote, its just too much and too hard for them to get started, players need to be viable early on.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 01:30:46 am »
+4
I think that the challenge is part of the appeal for some people. Sure you start out as a helpless peasant, but that only makes it more satisfying when you finally start to get better equipment and more levels. I remember when I was a peasant I'd just flail wildly and be lucky to block one attack. I looked for other peasants to fight and ran like hell from everyone else, especially the guys in plate armor and winged great helms. They were terrifying to me, but at the same time I knew that if they could do it I could too. That's a big part of what motivated me to practice and learn and get better so that I could be one of those super awesome badass knights some day.

There's a lot of trial and error for new players while they figure out what kinds of skills and equipment that they prefer to use. The amount of variety can be daunting, which is why so many new players waste gold and experience on things they find out they don't even like. At the same time once you begin to get a handle on how to make a proper build and gear set and become that much more effective, it's very rewarding. You find that you're no longer helpless; you can take on some of those dangerous enemies and actually win!

cRPG is difficult, but I think that it's better that way. Too many games avoid challenging their players because they don't want to scare away the casual babies and they end up being worse for it. The community is overall very helpful, usually giving good advice when people ask and even giving away gold and items to help them get started. The peasant clan was a great idea, and I think that if the developers could add something like NPC trainers on the duel servers or a FAQ on the website to give out basic information new players would be very well off.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.