• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: cRPG is hell for new players
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:38 pm »
+4
meh games are more fun when they are new. imo the funnest/best way to learn is to just play! may not be the quickest. also peasant server is quite awesome, I think new players have it alot easier than before.

remember when there was only battle mode and you couldn't even interrupt guys in heavy armour?  :o

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:25 pm »
+1
This game itself has a steap learning curve and this mod especially.

Hell i dont know a person who dodnt waste couple of wpf or skill poits in something random.  :mrgreen:

I am willing to help to make a tutorial/wiki page whatever for new playrs.

I agree this game and mod are really hard to comprehend.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »
+9
well what can i say... There is a massive beginers section of the forum for a reason. don't want to read it? well have fun trying to learn :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:39 pm »
+4
(click to show/hide)

Gj helping him out to both of u, rly nice of u 2 :).

And sadly the only way is to read the forum, since thats where u can get help from clans and guides. People generally do not help new players, they just ignore them. I always try and help as much as i can, which is why im in peasants united.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »
+7
if you download a mod which is based on skills and attributes and don't even bother to read up on what they do then rage when you do it wrong.... well your just an idiot
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:01:12 pm »
+6
Put Tears guide on the website somewhere during the installation or account creating process. There is a lot to know and most of it is in there.

Also, remove looms.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »
There's a huge learning curve, and you really realize it when someone who's played Warband a lot comes to cRPG for the first time.  There's a lot of nuances to explain. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »
Step 1 is realizing that you are a peasant.  You are not going to be owning anyone as a weakling with no armor, a cleaver, and some rocks.

Once you get past that part, and are willing to be humbled while you learn the ins and outs of the game, then the forums & training can begin.

I think one of the reasons the community is small is because most people can't get past step 1.  STF alts have come a long way towards giving people a taste of what they might be able to do, but a lot of people lack the patience to learn the combat system & it's unique mouse attack/block system.  There is a lot of hidden knowledge in this game yes, but there's a lot that's right there for the taking but people aren't willing to look/ask.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:51 pm »
Game is harsh for newplayers, true, but many of them just don't think. Making build with 3 points in every possible skill from archery through throwing till riding just doesn't make sense and you don't need guide to know it. Wearing plate with bow and shield also doesn't look like good idea, especially that they can see archers on the server who don't use shields and dont wear plate.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:20 pm »
+4
Most people never visit a forum and I don't think they should be expected to.

The game really needs a RPG style Profession system, that lets a guy pre-plan his build from level 1 if he wants. There could be some pre-made builds that let you see the end result at lvl 30, and then you just put in the points where it says as you level up. The actual website where you tweak your character could give loads more relevant info to help players out.

I would even be tempted to disable the C menu then (unless you specifically enable it on the website), so people only go to the website and follow the build template on there.

This is probably beyond the scope of what Donkey crew might want to do with cRPG now though. Theres stuff we can do as a community though, like updating the wiki (and maybe then Donkey can integrated better into the main site). We can have newbie helpers like No_Rules is doing. Again Donkey could make that even easier for people by giving them a title when they join, or coloured text (maybe a newbie chat even like with I)

I like to see new names on the server, and hope eventually they will become vets. Its very often just the same names though, people who have played for years
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:33 pm »
+1
Dilemma: How much time are you willing to devote to helping others learn? After all it impacts on your fun time, which can be limited for many of us.

Solution to helping new players: Everyone takes the time to teach 1 or more new players on their game lifetime, if new players do that once they learn, everyone is helped.

Reality: Online communities are multilingual and made up by people who have lots of time to play, and does who don't. The latter will rarely want to help, as they have limited time to play - Fair point. Those who play a lot tend to be busy with team thing, or self-centered, or working towards a goal that requires all their time (hence on all the time); Only a small number of those who play a lot are willing to help out, and a good number of those get bored after teaching a few and stop.

The reality is that there will always be people who fall through the net, no matter how hard those willing to teach try to teach, especially in olde games, thus making this topic a never ending one. But being realistic, if you really wanna learn, there is always the helpful guy who wrote a guide or made a video, so hope is not lost for newbies, if they try a little :)

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »
+3
cRPG is hell for everyone. That is why we play, because it isn't some cookie cutter game like the newest COD/whatever. cRPG is one of the games that people cannot escape from and always come back.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:29 pm »
+2
It's definitely not an accessible game or community for newcomers. You have to be really into it independent of any other factors to get past all the shit your gonna eat for a good portion of your life on earth (if we mean a few months at least, you only live so many months!). It absolutely isn't and shouldn't be worth it for most casual gamers. Those who can escape the draw are the lucky ones. God I wish I never found this game. Help me. Help. Me.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »
cRPG is hell for everyone. That is why we play, because it isn't some cookie cutter game like the newest COD/whatever. cRPG is one of the games that people cannot escape from and always come back.

Idd, try having a bad team in rageball..... Worst thing ever... -.-. Oh..not what u were thinking about?