Author Topic: Bar fights tips:  (Read 14558 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bar fights tips:
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
+1
Chocolate chip cookies never killed nobody, man.

Edit: Well okay, they might've killed somebody, but I'm pretty sure they're not guilty of genocide.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:50:42 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »
 :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »
+3
This thread delivers exactly what I expected :

- people looking cool

- people denying coolitude

- forum war

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:39 pm »
This whole argument is bullshit. The environment shapes human beings, NO SHIT. It still doesn't mean that every human is as strongly affected by this shaping, and if you really believe there are no cases that don't seem to be shaped very much at all, you should probably visit different parts of town once in a while.

You are right about the statistic stuff.
But even what you call almost not at all shaped is heavily shaped. Sure people may not hold the views upheld as normative by the "leading fraction" of their peers/state/culture. But when growing up people take up a set of core believes and habits, pattern recognition and problem solving, etc. (*) that - assuming that they have an internal logic - will shape what they believe. There's also statistically some who do differ to others here, but they either become institutionalized or great mathematicians. Sometimes both.
That is what is meant with shaped - I assume you understood it more directly (on of those cultural habits is, unfortunately, never to clarify statements with several meanings in an argument). Still that doesn't mean "everything" or that we could make silly laws about culture -> action, but outright denying that you are influenced makes you look like you are unable to reflect about those things.

(*) Arguably a lot of that is genetically hardwired or something. Still makes little difference - you are still influenced by your parents.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
+1

Edit: Well okay, they might've killed somebody, but I'm pretty sure they're not guilty of genocide.
Funny you. Telling others to amuse you, while you are the real comedian.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »
Oops I read Marcel Mauss as Levi-Strauss for some reason. And just to nitpick again, none of their works are used in any scientific discipline as far as I know. Psychology is not a scientific discipline, no more than sociology is. They have had a huge impact on the humanities, that's for sure though.

They do try to look the part now. Doing statistics and shit.

Also I meant cheating as in looking answers on my exam, but I'm sure everybody understood. It came out hilarous anyway.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
Why nobody told me there was major drama up in this bitch yo!

I don't want to read all of Xants 1st world patronising bullcrap, so could somebody please say what is the fuss about in a sentence or two.

Danke chaps!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »
This thread was better two pages ago.

We need to talk about social sciences more often.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2013, 07:06:10 pm »
+1
You are right about the statistic stuff.
But even what you call almost not at all shaped is heavily shaped. Sure people may not hold the views upheld as normative by the "leading fraction" of their peers/state/culture. But when growing up people take up a set of core believes and habits, pattern recognition and problem solving, etc. (*) that - assuming that they have an internal logic - will shape what they believe. There's also statistically some who do differ to others here, but they either become institutionalized or great mathematicians. Sometimes both.
That is what is meant with shaped - I assume you understood it more directly (on of those cultural habits is, unfortunately, never to clarify statements with several meanings in an argument). Still that doesn't mean "everything" or that we could make silly laws about culture -> action, but outright denying that you are influenced makes you look like you are unable to reflect about those things.

(*) Arguably a lot of that is genetically hardwired or something. Still makes little difference - you are still influenced by your parents.

I understand that perfectly fine, but I still disagree with you, and it will be damn hard to prove your claims.

Why nobody told me there was major drama up in this bitch yo!

I don't want to read all of Xants 1st world patronising bullcrap, so could somebody please say what is the fuss about in a sentence or two.

Danke chaps!

We were discussing whether a Wiener sausage is still a Wiener sausage if it contains horse meat. This question quite divided the participants, and discussion got a little heated. Thankfully it has calmed down now, so please don't put new coals on the fire.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2013, 08:26:07 pm »
Butthurt liberals crying about Sovjet-banners

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »

There is no real evidence that during ww2 gas chambers were used to kill millions of people in chocolate chip cookie concentration camps.

Robert Faurisson: The gas chambers problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZH0xQQuFo&pxtry=2

If you can't watch the video, use a proxy : http://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php or http://www.freeyoutubeproxy.net/#sthash.tgwLaDZg.dpbs

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2013, 09:20:13 pm »

Correct. Even if you are influenced to reject everything that they stand for, you are still influenced.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »

There is no real evidence that during ww2 gas chambers were used to kill millions of people in chocolate chip cookie concentration camps.

Robert Faurisson: The gas chambers problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZH0xQQuFo&pxtry=2

If you can't watch the video, use a proxy : http://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php or http://www.freeyoutubeproxy.net/#sthash.tgwLaDZg.dpbs
Not to mention the logistics of killing off 6 million people while your country is fighting a war on two fronts. The math doesn't add up.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.