Author Topic: Fips' Maps  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Fips' Maps
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »
Maybe if you could change those tents you have put inside of the castle , they look more like persian ones. Im not sure if there are any other kind of tents but if there ar you could add me ...also i dont like the color / texture of the castle walls ...shouldnt they be more like darker and greyer ?

There are only those 2 types of tents in m&b and i cannot change the texture of the walls. I mean, it's winter after all, can't it be a little brighter? Besides, the actual Hornburg is not that dark, just take a look at the screens while it's still daylight. But yeah, it should look older, more used, maybe even another colour , but M&B has a crappy editor so i can't do anything about that =(

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »
Actually, the color of the walls isn't too far off from the color of the rocks...which is good since the Keep was carved out of the very rock itself.
If it is nighttime, then everything will probably seem darker.

After the Nexus forums are back up (can't connect atm) I'll download the file and terrain code and take a look around. If there's anything I add, I'll screenshot and upload for you.

I don't think there are any other tent styles in the editor. If I feel adventurous, I'll see if I can't rig up some tents out of other props. But in the end, the focus in the battle won't be around the tents, but near the armory and stables (aka at the flag).

Looking at it is actually giving me flashbacks to playing The Two Towers Battle of Helm's Deep on my Gamecube years ago. (need to emulate that thing.)

As for the side passage Gimli and Aragorn took (I don't think there was a side passage in the book and it was Aragorn and Eomer who went, though Gimli tagged along and enjoyed their sport until he was needed. :P...*AHEM* sorry...rant..) I don't think it should be added if it hasn't yet. Attackers cannot get to it, and in the past (the older map) it became a distinct advantage for defenders. With a map this size, really you want to try to put defenders at some disadvantage.

Good news is, if the new siege system is ever finished, I remember it promising longer battle times (9~12 minutes) and capturable spawns (which this map would be ideal for).

....There might have been a dead tree somewhere near the Dikes (not in your map and actually far out from the Deep) that the Uruks and Dunlanders cut for a battering ram...... Just trying to remember things. Been a decade since I read the book. :P

Still, looks good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 09:01:15 pm »
Already added it as you may see in the screens. Defenders can get there, but from the distance i guess you really need some athletics to actually get there and not fall down, but that needs some real testing on the servers.

Yes, new siege mode would be the best thing happening to this mod right now. =D
Creating huge castles (Larger than helms deep and more complex) would be the shit!

If you can make another tent out of the existing props, i'll be very impressed =P

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
Already added it as you may see in the screens. Defenders can get there, but from the distance i guess you really need some athletics to actually get there and not fall down, but that needs some real testing on the servers.

Yes, new siege mode would be the best thing happening to this mod right now. =D
Creating huge castles (Larger than helms deep and more complex) would be the shit!

If you can make another tent out of the existing props, i'll be very impressed =P

Ooohhh....challenge accepted.  :mrgreen:

*Edit*

Your tent, my liege.

(click to show/hide)

I'm inclined to say that the persian tents will work just fine. Using awning props is a little bulky.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:32:06 am by Thranduil »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »
hey, why is this thread so dead? come on fips!!!

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:08 pm »
+1
I am already working on the Details to Ishtar, rough structure and ground texture is done. Will upload screens and stuff when it's done. And for the first two maps i need to wait until they are in before i can do anything. Especially Helms Deep will probably need a lot of balancing to do xD

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:36 am »
+1
Aaaand it's done. Next one will be some kind of siege within a town =)

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:48 am »
Aaaand it's done. Next one will be some kind of siege within a town =)
love the idea, im dying for something else than these stupid climb over the walls and go to the flag sieges :)

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
+1
love the idea, im dying for something else than these stupid climb over the walls and go to the flag sieges :)

There will be a wall, too, ofc. But it won't be necessary to get up there.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
fips was there during the testing so he already knows it, but burg rabenstein is untakable. i suggest making the front gate destroyable and/or making the castle not so wide so its easier to go bd.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »
Just fyi, if Erzengel didn't fuck up the map-change, attackers would have won the second round. so it's definitely not impossible. I would like to see them on the server a second time before i change anything, though. I mean, people didn't even know you could get right to the flag if you break down the backdoor until me and 2 other guys got there =)
Plus, people were just charging towards the flag instead of opening the gate, i hope in the next try people will see how important that damn gate is.

But yeah, here's what i have in my mind after the first rounds on my maps:

Burg_Rabenstein:
- smaller lake, smaller bridge, replacing the bridge on the right
- ladder/wooden plank/whatever from attackers spawn to the way to backdoor (Another bridge wouldn't make any sense)
- spawn closer to castle so defenders don't spawn inside the lake
- more defenders spawns close and/or inside the flag area

Ishtar:
- more defenders spawns inside the inner castle
- ladder from the inner castle to the walls outside, so defenders can interfer with attackers crushing down the 2nd gate
- a way for defenders to get from the bridge right next to the gate to the outer walls (You had to go down first and then up the walls again to get to the gatehouse, which is kinda annoying, plus attackers get there too quickly, and gatehouse is very important on this one)

Helms_Deep:
(I actually thought that it went quite well. The expected 3:0 victory for defenders did ofc happen, but attackers constantly were close to flag after minute 3 or even 4. Plus, attackers spawned almost exclusively on the wall on the left, which was not what i intended)
- attackers spawns will be rethought completely and closer to the castle, more spawns on the bridge to the gate, less on the left wall
- less defenders spawn next to flag, more at the first wall of the keep
- will rebuild the ground leading to the keep, now that i played it on the actual server it feels very wrong

Oh, and there is always the fact that if you play a map for the first time and have no idea where to go, it will most likely be unbalanced. So i will keep an eye on mine, maybe they don't turn out to be just as bad.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:52:03 pm by Fips »

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »
helms deep turned out to be a 'just fight at the flag' map (this morning, very little players online). people just broke the front gates and ran to the flag.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:26 pm »
helms deep turned out to be a 'just fight at the flag' map (this morning, very little players online). people just broke the front gates and ran to the flag.

I find that to be the case for all seige maps if there aren't enough players online (ie. under 20).

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »
on the burg rabenstein map a few less trees in the background would be nice for those of us on crappy machines :P but otherwise very nice stuff dude
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:25:27 pm by Crob28 »

Offline Tagora

• Duke
  • Renown: 522
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
  • there's bollocks in yr tea
    • View Profile
    • ClickCLICKclickCLICKCLICKCLICK
  • Faction: Dubliners
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 06:15:44 am »
+1
Hey helms deep map is awesome, thank you!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tagora/

c h e l s e a  b o y s