Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 186235 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #2760 on: June 28, 2016, 10:16:37 am »
Vary's line was very cheesy even if it does make sense plot wise.

What irks me though is they had a long drawn out scene with him saying goodbye to Tyrion like 2 episodes before as if he was never coming back and they'd only see each other when Daenarys landed in Westeros. Then all of a sudden, ooo hi I just went on a little vacation.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:33 am »
Haha, all the complaints about the travel per time "paradoxes", oh well.
People assuming that every episode covers the same amount of time for every plot line is really funny.
Suddenly teleporting? How do you know how much time it took her to sail there? Like, really?
Hey, let me explain that to you, no problem. Varys sailed to Dorne and then sailed back to Dany. Then they all together sailed to Westeros. See now?
Because what you don't understand is that the episode takes place within a certain timeframe, and the timeframes aren't consistent with the teleports, not to mention the fact how badly written it is to have characters teleport vast distances constantly and consistently with no exposition.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #2762 on: June 28, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »
+1
the episode takes place within a certain timeframe

Please, do try and provide a source.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 28, 2016, 03:57:33 pm »
Please, do try and provide a source.
???????? wat

That's some Jaden Smith level shit right there. Are you suggesting the events in the episode exist outside of space and time?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:00:37 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #2764 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:14 pm »
+1
Come on Xant, you can't trick us, we know you're not that dumb. Jona's question was legit and I'm sure you understood what he meant.
Because what you don't understand is that the episode takes place within a certain timeframe
Indeed, I don't even understand why would you think so, when it clearly doesn't. The timeframe may be different for each storyline.

What's wrong with me? Is it too much to ask for a show with a budget of a 100 million dollars to put some effort into the writing? The scene in Dorne was necessary, even if it was poorly written in my opinion. But they wanted a cool scene on a ship where Daenerys looked over the ocean with all her companions behind her. It was so necessary they just put him there. They didn't give a single fuck. Logically, why the fuck would he even return?
What's wrong with you is that you assume you know the full story and that they show the full story, while actually you don't and they don't. You assume that the only thing Varys travelled to Dorne for was to speak with Ellaria (which is probably true though) and you assume that the only thing Varys came back for is to sail with Daenerys, which is probably NOT true, because he could have other business to do in Meeryn before the sailaway. On top of that you assume that all this happened in the same time frame with other story lines shown in this episode, which is clearly not the case.
So just stop assuming too much and just watch the show, and make conclusions based on the shown story, not on your assumptions. Then it would probably make more sense.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #2765 on: June 28, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
You contradict yourself.

I do make my conclusions on what they show, they showed Varys travelling to Dorne to make alliances with the the Reach and Dorne. He then goes to Mereen to go back. That's what they are showing. You on the other hand is making assumptions...

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 28, 2016, 04:20:53 pm »
Afaik, the only tv show that ever pretended to be in real time was 24, and in that show there were definitely plot holes/people teleporting all over the place. In every single other show or movie it is assumed that the events aren't happening in real time, and that we're only being shown the important parts. Did it take frodo only a few hours to walk across all of Middle Earth? No, we just saw a few snippets of his story. You guys are smarter than this, at this point your only defense is "lel i was trolling i got you good! xDDD" If you can't understand that GoT is only showing us a few select scenes from each characters' story, then I don't know how you've been able to enjoy any tv show or movie up until this point.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
Let's throw in a two month journey inbetween 40-50 scenes that happen in a time period of a week and don't give a shit about how or why that was. (I'm David Benioff right now)

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 28, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:16 pm »
Come on Xant, you can't trick us, we know you're not that dumb. Jona's question was legit and I'm sure you understood what he meant.
Legit to you, maybe.

But I mean, it makes perfect sense. To get what I was saying takes some understanding of context, and to understand the complaint and problems people have with the teleporting also takes some understanding of context. It's no surprise, then, that the two people incapable of understanding the latter also don't understand the former.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Macropus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 28, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »
You contradict yourself.

I do make my conclusions on what they show, they showed Varys travelling to Dorne to make alliances with the the Reach and Dorne. He then goes to Mereen to go back. That's what they are showing. You on the other hand is making assumptions...
There's no contradiction there really, making assumptions isn't wrong, making too much is. Perhaps my wording of that wasn't entirely correct.
I'll put it this way.
You assume Varys only goes to Mereen to sail back with the crew, because that's all they've shown him do. You assume that's the whole story, that he didn't do anything else, had no other reasons to return to Mereen.
And I just think he probably had some other business to do as well, because from what we've seen before he's not stupid and it fits the story.
So from your perspective it all looks like bullshit, from mine it seems alright. So maybe change the perspective and enjoy the show?  :)

But I mean, it makes perfect sense. To get what I was saying takes some understanding of context, and to understand the complaint and problems people have with the teleporting also takes some understanding of context. It's no surprise, then, that the two people incapable of understanding the latter also don't understand the former.
I do understand why people complain about "teleportation", I never said otherwise. What I say is - these complaints are quite stupid frankly, and I don't get why you think that each episode covers the same timeframe for each storyline (the assumption that leads to the "teleportation paradox"). Could you at least elaborate on that?

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »
You do it again, you assume too much, while in reality, they only want a cool scene with all of Daenerys followers. There was nothing else he did there. They planted him in the scene, they gave no fucks about how he got there, in which timeframe, how much sense it would make etc.

Offline Macropus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »
+1
You do it again, you assume too much, while in reality, they only want a cool scene with all of Daenerys followers. There was nothing else he did there. They planted him in the scene, they gave no fucks about how he got there, in which timeframe, how much sense it would make etc.
With that kind of logic you probably think Daenerys should die of hunger because they didn't show her eating anything since like season 3, she must be starving.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 28, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »
Yes, I'm glad we understand eachother.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 28, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »
Legit to you, maybe.

The classic Xant tactic when losing an argument - make unfounded remarks insulting the intelligence of those mentally superior to you every time you're getting fundamentally ruined instead of actually backing up your argument.