Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 160983 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #2775 on: June 28, 2016, 07:04:20 pm »
I do understand why people complain about "teleportation", I never said otherwise. What I say is - these complaints are quite stupid frankly, and I don't get why you think that each episode covers the same timeframe for each storyline (the assumption that leads to the "teleportation paradox"). Could you at least elaborate on that?
I'm not assuming that. The teleportations don't only happen across different storylines. The Arya teleports, for example, have logical consistency -- it's just not very good writing to have her appear like that out of nowhere. They don't have to show weeks of boat travel, but they should have some exposition. E.g., Varys being in Dorne - that's fine, they showed him leaving. Varys suddenly being back with Daenerys, not fine, especially because the difference is so jarring: first they have big goodbyes and show him leaving, then suddenly he's back with Tyrion and Daenerys with no transition. But a lot of the teleports touch other storylines with characters who aren't teleporting, for example the Queen of Thorns, Jaime, Cersei storylines are all connected, with the two former teleporting across the place, while nothing seems to happen where Cersei is. Which doesn't make sense, after what Cersei did there'd surely be huge repercussions, what with her killing all those nobles (who have relatives and allies), the Tyrell army being the biggest one in Westeros, etc.

In general, it feels like they're checking boxes. "Character X has to do Y", so they just teleport character X to Z, have them quickly do Y, change scene -- super lazy, and fails to elaborate on all kinds of background things that would surely be happening. It's the exact opposite of the books, all complexities stripped away, children's fantasy style.

The classic Xant tactic when losing an argument - make unfounded remarks insulting the intelligence of those mentally superior to you every time you're getting fundamentally ruined instead of actually backing up your argument.
Maybe I don't want to spend two hours explaining the obvious to dumb cunts who'd probably still manage to somehow misunderstand it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:07:52 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #2776 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:57 pm »
I'm not assuming that. The teleportations don't only happen across different storylines. The Arya teleports, for example, have logical consistency -- it's just not very good writing to have her appear like that out of nowhere. They don't have to show weeks of boat travel, but they should have some exposition. E.g., Varys being in Dorne - that's fine, they showed him leaving. Varys suddenly being back with Daenerys, not fine, especially because the difference is so jarring: first they have big goodbyes and show him leaving, then suddenly he's back with Tyrion and Daenerys with no transition.
So you are basically complaining that show producers don't have free screentime to show all the travels to make character moving more smooth. Yeah, well, I'd love GoT to be 100 episodes per year instead of 10. That's impossible though.

But a lot of the teleports touch other storylines with characters who aren't teleporting, for example the Queen of Thorns, Jaime, Cersei storylines are all connected, with the two former teleporting across the place, while nothing seems to happen where Cersei is. Which doesn't make sense, after what Cersei did there'd surely be huge repercussions, what with her killing all those nobles (who have relatives and allies), the Tyrell army being the biggest one in Westeros, etc.
That's what I personally mean by "teleportaion" - when we can see that in a definite span of time some character moved unrealistically faster than he could. But do we know from the show how much time passed from Jaime leaving Kings Landing to Jaime arriving back and Cercei burning her enemies? I don't think so. What makes you think there's a contradiction there?
To me it seems like Cercei's coronation went quite shortly after the burn, not like it took weeks for her to find herself on the iron throne.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #2777 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »
+4
I don't think they're trying to hurry it along, I think they're trying to cram two book's worth of material into this season and the next. And they probably didn't have the same sort of relatively polished plot from the already released books, which they used to have as a pattern for the plotline of the tv show, just a general guideline.
And sorry but the sense of time and distance, something essential to world building, creating a believable world for the story to take place in, was handled well in those earlier seasons. You can't pretend there's no difference in the disjointed and sometimes frenetic pace of movement and timelines in the the past episodes as compared to the starting ones.   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #2778 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:40 am »
for the first time i'm glad the series is over and i'm quite sure i can easily make it waiting for the next one.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:09 am »
Teleportation is legit part of the show, if you rewatch e9 you can see giant in middle of army, then 2 seconds real time later he has teleported next to jon snow.

Also sansa rode off before ramsay says he has starved his dogs 7 days. then later says "you said it yourself...

there was some great CGI and scenes in ep 9. but really it was one of the silliest most impracticable battles Ive seen. I think people give the director way too much credit, such as waste of resources. it could have been a normal battle and one of the best ever in tv/film but instead it had to be full of stupid gimmicks and plotarmour.

Offline Macropus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: June 29, 2016, 01:47:20 am »
Also sansa rode off before ramsay says he has starved his dogs 7 days. then later says "you said it yourself...
And what exactly is wrong with it?

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #2781 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:06 am »
Read it again. If he said it after she had left the bloody castle then how the fuck would she know what he said unless she has a superpowered ability to hear better (Although not surprising given the weird advantages that pretty much every female is given in the show)

That being said, so much shit happened in that episode it was like every 5 fucking minutes something new happened, either way, pretty obvious that when Daenerys gets there everyone is just fucking dead. An army that size and three dragons? Nobody can stand up to that even with an army. In a way it's necessary because dragonfire reks the black runners so she needs to win to go over to the wall and burn the black runners

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:01 am »
burn the black runners
what are those?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:06:37 am by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #2783 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:51 am »

She wasn't there to hear it? You're gonna pull a "Well, em, durr, Jon Stark told her ofc xdd", but they clearly fucked up, like they do on a lot of shit. Ofcourse, if you want to take your route, you can defend absolutely everything in the show that is being questioned with some bullshit. "It happened off scene".

nice trap you tried to set up tho

Offline Macropus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: June 29, 2016, 02:24:19 am »
how the fuck would she know what he said unless she has a superpowered ability to hear better
Or unless she actually has living people around her to talk with?

She wasn't there to hear it? You're gonna pull a "Well, em, durr, Jon Stark told her ofc xdd", but they clearly fucked up, like they do on a lot of shit. Ofcourse, if you want to take your route, you can defend absolutely everything in the show that is being questioned with some bullshit. "It happened off scene".

nice trap you tried to set up tho
Thanks, although it's obvious as fuck that Jon or someone else of course told her. It's not like she tied Ramsey up in the cage with his dogs all by herself.
And it's not a fuck up, it's more like cutting off unnesessary scenes that don't bring anything to the story, which to me is good directing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:27:20 am by Macropus »

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #2785 on: June 29, 2016, 01:55:52 pm »
what are those?
Was just me making opposites, black runners, white walkers.

Or unless she actually has living people around her to talk with?
Yeah I'm sure loads of people from the Bolton's castles escaped with her that day.. Oh.. Oh wait it was just her and Theon wasn't it? Oops!
You're grasping at straws Macro.
I appreciate that they don't need to show her being told everything on the planet but there's a difference between not showing that and showing a piece of information which would easily make the story have a lot more sense to it.

Overall, I don't really give a shit, as it's basically just me being pedantic, but either way she shouldn't have known that without being told on camera about it or something happening to let her know about it.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Macropus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: June 29, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »
Yeah I'm sure loads of people from the Bolton's castles escaped with her that day.. Oh.. Oh wait it was just her and Theon wasn't it? Oops!
You're grasping at straws Macro.
What are you even talking about?
Sansa's escape has nothing to do with it. Or do you think it only took her a week to travel all the way to Castle Black after escaping, meet with Jon, gather the army, and then travel back to Winterfell? Don't be ridiculous.
Ramsey mentioned him not feeding his dogs at their meeting before the battle. Sansa didn't hear it but she clearly was told so after the battle and before they put Ramsey into dog cells.
I hope it's clear now, lol.

showing a piece of information which would easily make the story have a lot more sense to it.
No it wouldn't, it would be a waste of time, "Hey Jon how should we kill Ramsey? Hey Sansa, he said he didn't feed his dogs. Alright then".
Why would they waste their screen time on something so little and obvious? Just to please the people who love to nitpick shit and try to see a plothole everywhere?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #2787 on: June 29, 2016, 04:02:39 pm »
That being said, so much shit happened in that episode it was like every 5 fucking minutes something new happened, either way, pretty obvious that when Daenerys gets there everyone is just fucking dead. An army that size and three dragons? Nobody can stand up to that even with an army. In a way it's necessary because dragonfire reks the black runners so she needs to win to go over to the wall and burn the black runners

They still haven't introduced Euron's dragon horn.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2788 on: July 01, 2016, 05:30:44 am »
+1
Sad to see Ramsay go, he was entertaining. Lost a lot of interest in this season, the remaining characters just feel boring, and the progress is slow and not interesting either. The battles were horribly boring and stupid. I mean Jons army are pretty well armored but not a single one wears a helmet or brings a shield.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:22 pm »