Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 187198 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #540 on: February 04, 2013, 04:03:55 am »
+4
I have a few minutes to kill, time to amuse myself...

He was an early 20th century Englishman.  You don't think he had a Eurocentric worldview, reflected heavily in his work?
Ah, lovely way to stereotype someone just because of a background and using said background as a negative connotation. I commend you for your imagination.

The subject matter speaks for itself.
Hmm, really?

Heroic white race of men.
Heroic race as in every race in the book had some degree of corruption and was hardly infallible, and every human race had a very long history of idiots or evil men, and every race making terrible mistakes in some point in history? Oh, as in every race proving that it can fall susceptible to the Ring which symbolizes evil and temptation? Ah, how heroic that the least fallible of all the cultures were the Hobbits, of all people, and even then they have proven themselves hardly infallible and hardly heroic as a race due to falling susceptible to murder and such things (Such as the origins of Gollum).

Brown "eastern" people corrupt by evil with no culture that are faceless enemies.
Oh, so here we have you saying he had too much detail, and then now are blasting him on not giving enough detail to a mere minor plot device. I can't really support this notion because they are "faceless enemies" as simple as that is, and are hardly different from the corrupted and evil "white men" cultures mentioned in the books that tore themselves apart (Like the origin of the crypt wraiths?). Why should we pay attention to the faceless "evil" brown people and yet ignore the faceless "evil" white people? They are both minor plot points that hardly deserve more description then they already had.

Black people are literally subhuman savages created as a slave race to serve their masters.
You mean inhuman monsters that only have one common attribute with black people, and that is the color of their skin? You mean the man-made demons? Oh, I see, so since they have literally only one thing in common, then they must be direct analogies to black people. So you're saying that if a culture/race in fiction is depicted as primitive, then it must mean black people? Oh... Oh my...

I eagerly await you usual imaginative and colorful responses.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:11:58 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #541 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:54 am »
If you were to say the people of Rhun or Haradwaith were generic brown exotic outsiders, I would be with you... little explored there, so far as I know (I never read the silmarillion, maybe there is stuff in there). But if you're referring to the orcs, I really think its a stretch to imagine they're meant to be a commentary on humans of African decent.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #542 on: February 04, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
+2
I came to this thread to talk about game of thrones, and i ended up reading a smoothrich post.

can we not just ignore the guy and start talking about game of thrones again?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 04, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »
+3
how is smoothrich allowed to have a boss n1gg3r avatar, yet people are permanently banned for n4zi allusions.

by the way Ezra Pound was a more significant writer who was much more racist than Tolkien.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:11 pm »
+5
Smoothrich being a self-righteous ignorant retard again. Tolkien was more of a luddite hippy than anything else. Orcs and Sauron are supposed to represent the fires of industry. Tolkien witnessed first hand some of the most horrible parts of the industrial revolution. That Orcs were black-skinned was symbolic of smoke and dirt and pollution. Entire cities and the poorest people living in them were constantly covered with a disgusting layer of grime at the time. The inspiration for Isengard and Baraddur or however the fuck you spell it were both inspired by industrial smokestacks near where he lived. Orcs even speak like british hooligans in the book. It's news to me that they were supposed to represent subsaharan Africans.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 06, 2013, 03:07:47 am »
(I never read the silmarillion, maybe there is stuff in there)
You should, best fantasy ever put to paper in my opinion.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »
some people interpret the Lord of the Rings as like WWII Europe, with Sauron representing h1tl3r, creating the Orc/Master race using eugenics and the heroes have to cross the Alps/Misty Mountains, etc. The elves are like Switzerland, staying neutral or France rolling over  for the naz1s.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:57 am »
+1

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
+1

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:40 am »
+3
Official Official trailer came out last night:

Glad they did the dragon flying around the boat. I thought they'd skip that due to costs but shows them off quite nicely.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:04:56 am by Overdriven »

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 23, 2013, 11:09:03 am »
WOO. i read all the books between the last season and this one because i couldn't wait for it to release, but it actually made it worse. now i want to see it more than i already did, just because i know what awesome shit i'm going to see.

No spoilers, but im going to declare it. if both parts of the third book are covered in this season, it will be THE best season.

REAL spoiler
(click to show/hide)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:55 pm »
+2
No spoilers, but im going to declare it. if both parts of the third book are covered in this season, it will be THE best season.

The third book will be split into the next two seasons.  They considered it far too big and complicated (the word more likely is, expensive) to condense into one season.  That just makes me more excited, if anything.  More time for the characters and scenes to breathe before shit gets real.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #552 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »
+1
The third book will be split into the next two seasons.  They considered it far too big and complicated (the word more likely is, expensive) to condense into one season.  That just makes me more excited, if anything.  More time for the characters and scenes to breathe before shit gets real.

In the past, as a cost control measure, they've simply skipped things. So, taking more time to tell the story (and thus actually telling more of it) can only be a good thing.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:01 am »
I dont know if this is yet common knowledge. but here is something i thought was ****ing hilarious.

The guy that plays Theon Greyjoy is Alfie Allen, who i found out to actually be the brother of the singer Lily allen
And then i remembered this song from a while ago
this song is about theon greyjoy being a lazy twat. one of the most mindblowing discoveries i have ever made
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:01:10 am by Count_Curtis »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 03, 2013, 07:11:31 am »
Haha yup and they are the kids of Keith Allen who is also quite a famous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Allen_(actor) .