Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 187175 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #510 on: December 22, 2012, 08:14:42 am »
+1
Well at least he's told his editor and a few others what is going to happen. Worst comes to worst if he did happen to die or something before finishing the series I'm sure others would do it. It's happened before. Forgotten who the author was but there was a Troy series of books not long ago that were very popular, the author died before writing the last book so his wife and editor wrote the final one based on his notes.

Aren't you thinking of Wheel of Time? Robert Jordan died, its being finished by Brandon Sanderson. Jordan finished through book 11, Sanderson was hired by Jordan's wife to finish it based off of Jordan's notes and has done book 12 and 13 with book 14 (the finale) coming out next month.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 22, 2012, 08:41:18 pm »
+3
too bad the story isn't that great. G RR Martin can't finish what he started 25 years ago. it takes like a decade for him to write a book.

The first three books are fantastic.  Not necessarily just the story, but the pacing.  He was a successful Hollywood script writer in television for several years before he began writing ASOIAF and it really shows.  1k+ page books that are constantly shifting focus, great cliffhangers ending almost every chapter, strong interconnecting themes, a fully realized world mixed with the best of historical fiction and fantasy.  Its really terrific stuff.

After book 3 though, is when he began taking 10 years per book, and they became awful :(.  Terrible pacing, no idea where to take the main plot (was originally going to be a timeskip, instead we get characters doing nothing for 2k pages) and all sorts of  problems in between the really good bits of prose.  Hopefully the tv series cleans those up cuz they are a disappointment.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
+1
Aren't you thinking of Wheel of Time? Robert Jordan died, its being finished by Brandon Sanderson. Jordan finished through book 11, Sanderson was hired by Jordan's wife to finish it based off of Jordan's notes and has done book 12 and 13 with book 14 (the finale) coming out next month.

No looked it up and it's David Gemmel. He died in 2006 after completing half of the final book so his wife (who was a journalist and had been involved in his writing process) wrote the second half.

They were very good books:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Series

After book 3 though, is when he began taking 10 years per book, and they became awful :(.  Terrible pacing, no idea where to take the main plot (was originally going to be a timeskip, instead we get characters doing nothing for 2k pages) and all sorts of  problems in between the really good bits of prose.  Hopefully the tv series cleans those up cuz they are a disappointment.

I have to agree. Aspects of the story line in the 4th and 5th really did excite me and keep me turning pages but sometimes you can't help but think he is struggling to find stuff for certain pov characters to do yet he has to include them to please everyone as we all have our favourites.

Excited for the 6th book simply to find out what happen's with Jon Snow as it's my favourite story line. I can see your point about the main story. I'm not entirely sure where he is going with it though and how he could possibly tie it all up in another 2 books without a big time jump. But then equally a time jump would suddenly skip a lot of stuff he's set up.

Trying not to write in any spoilers  :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:57:27 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
+1
agree with you, the first three are good, I read them twice. book 4 was disappointing after waiting 7 years, then another 7 for book 5 which is kind of shite.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:47 am »
+3
Chills:

Like the way they did The Rains of Castamere.

For fun...full version of song:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:00:39 am by Overdriven »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2013, 04:35:32 am »
+1
dont buy the game, its the worst

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »
+1

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #517 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:22 pm »
agree with you, the first three are good, I read them twice. book 4 was disappointing after waiting 7 years, then another 7 for book 5 which is kind of shite.

Feast for Crows is the biggest steaming pile of worthless shit ever. You could skip Feast for Crows altogether and not miss a beat. Thank god I wasn't following the books as they were written because I would have written off the entire series before the show came out upon reading that book. Can't imagine waiting almost a decade for a million pages in which nothing really happens and all the best/more interesting characters aren't present.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #518 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »
+1
2/3 through book 5 now. Book 5 is much better compared to 4, which was really boring.
Dunno why you guys dislike 5, i like it, maybe because it has Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys in it.

Though the daenerys chapters are boring like the Cersei chapters from 4, maybe because it are all courtly settings.

I am just wondering how season 3 and perhaps 4 will look like, as some small details deviated from the book, like the whole Bolton business.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2013, 11:39:04 pm »
2/3 through book 5 now. Book 5 is much better compared to 4, which was really boring.
Dunno why you guys dislike 5, i like it, maybe because it has Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys in it.

Though the daenerys chapters are boring like the Cersei chapters from 4, maybe because it are all courtly settings.

I am just wondering how season 3 and perhaps 4 will look like, as some small details deviated from the book, like the whole Bolton business.

Book 5 is an improvement, but it suffers from a lack of focus and pacing, and not much of a sense of purpose.  Books 1-3 are clearly a coherent, amazing trilogy, with tons of forward momentum building up and mind blowing payoffs all through Book 3.  Books 1 and 2 have their own arcs to every story and big payoffs at the end too, but still all lead towards the end of the trilogy in a very satisying way.

Problem was GRRM planned on having a timeskip after book 3, where the kids and dragons are all grown up.  Sometime into writing it he decided it didn't work and went back and started over, right from the end of Book 3.  End result was tons of meaningless bullshit, of people traveling place to place for stupid reasons with barely anything interesting happening to anyone.  Unsatisfying storylines, lack of drama, poor pacing.

I hope the show shuffles events around and heavily rewrites things to make the story much more interesting and cohesive after book 3.  Book 3 alone is being split into two seasons as well, because of it being so good and full of content.  Can't see them doing that for 4 or 5.  Wouldn't mind seeing both books as 1 season to be honest.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2013, 02:43:47 am »
+1

Why does Tyrion have a nose damn it!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 21, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
+1
I hope the show shuffles events around and heavily rewrites things to make the story much more interesting and cohesive after book 3.  Book 3 alone is being split into two seasons as well, because of it being so good and full of content.  Can't see them doing that for 4 or 5.  Wouldn't mind seeing both books as 1 season to be honest.

Yeah, I am sure they will separate the seasons completely different from season 4 or 5 on. Like parts of book 4&5 being season 5, then the rest of 4&5 and a part of book 6 goes into season 7 or similar.

IMO feast for crows and dance of dragons are perfect, and some of those not seeing it yet will maybe see it after (if :P) the whole thing is finished.

I would love to see your version of the series, bilwit, maybe you could write it after you are finished shitting textures for your new game? :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:09:14 am by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline donib

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:37 am »
+1

Why does Tyrion have a nose damn it!

I hope they choose a good actor for the wildling princess     :)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:13 pm »
+2
this guy is a dude

if your wondering who look at the sigil

Offline donib

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2013, 08:40:17 pm »
+1
When i saw the actor they used for Meera Reed i thought they used a dude.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:50:49 pm by donib »