Author Topic: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]  (Read 167400 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones. [No Book Spoilers]
« Reply #480 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:07 pm »
+4
If someone wants senseless violence they can watch shit like the Spartacus series, which is good in its own right, but Game of Thrones is vastly superior in terms of story, characters, acting etc and I enjoy it, the few fights there are on screen are alot more meaningful, I would rather wait 2 or 3 episodes to see a real story effecting fight than see 10 meaningless over the top ones all in one episode, ala Spartacus.

Offline Klauwaert

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant of House Eaglewood
    • View Profile
  • Faction: House Eaglewood
  • Game nicks: Eaglewood_Peasant_Klauwaert
  • IRC nick: Steam: Klauwaert
« Reply #481 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »
+1
such an awful show (and books) how can any of you watch this garbage? :evil:
Stream: http://www.couchtuner.com/game-of-thrones-stream/
Or download on Piratebay.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #482 on: June 09, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »
+2
I disagree with episode 10 being 'boring', it's main purpose was to tie off the seasons happenings and to set up for the next season, which it did, my old friendET equus africanus asinus.

That's kind of the point - it didn't tie off anything. There's like 10 different story lines not resolved, the conversations were dull and meaningless, the plot nonexisting. Overall, S01 was way better than S02.

(Not hating the show overall, just think S10 was a huge letdown)

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 14, 2012, 05:40:14 am »
+1
don't read the books then, you will be even more disappointed at the lack of cohesiveness in the story, as nothing gets closer to being resolved.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:23 am »
+2
That's kind of the point - it didn't tie off anything. There's like 10 different story lines not resolved, the conversations were dull and meaningless, the plot nonexisting. Overall, S01 was way better than S02.

(Not hating the show overall, just think S10 was a huge letdown)

The whole episode was like a massive cliffhanger. I don't think that's necessarily bad though. S02 was great, IMO.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:20 am »
+2
The first novel, and consequentially the first season, is by far the best self contained story in the series.  Ned really grounds the narrative except for a few trips to Essos with Dany who has her own tight, focused story with great side characters.  Stark vs Lannisters + King's Landing being a backstabbing shithole city keeps things moving, and rather simple.

Book 2 is where the GRRM really starts stepping out of his comfort zone and introducing tons new characters, conflicts, and locations.  I totally get where a tv viewer could come from seeing it not live up to the first season, especially because not enough time is given to any of the scenes except a few select setpieces to let you learn the new characters and their motivations.

Lucky for you guys, the third book, and most likely the next seasons, really makes everything in the second pay off a thousand times over.  Its fucking crazy, to put it mildly.  Really one of the most entertaining books I've read, with more twists, suspense, insane levels of badassedness, and small but poignant character moments than any TV show or something like that I can think of.

In fact, book 3 is so good, they decided one season can't do it justice, so they are splitting it in two.  I am really looking forward to seeing some of this shit on TV.

After book 3?  :?
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:45 am »
+1
Well... it's pretty commonly agreed that A Feast for Crows was more or less a misstep from GRRM. It didn't get very good reviews. The main characters are missing and so on. But A Dance With Dragons got stellar reviews and the main characters make up a good chunk of the book.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:38 am »
+1
I'm sort off hoping they will just skip book 4. That was a piece of shit.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 14, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
+2
I'm sort off hoping they will just skip book 4. That was a piece of shit.
I disagree. I am convinced once the series is finished, the ingeniousness of a Feast for Crows will be discovered. I enjoyed the book very much and it is exactly as smoothrich described with book 2, it sets ground for the finish of the series. You all will see.

As for S02E10 I fucking loved that as well, to see Tyrion lose everything he has build up in a single stroke by his father on his shitting horse, or Luwins death, or the destroyed throne room covered in snow and many other great scenes. Well, in case you didn't notice I am a bit of a fanboy of this series :D

On another note I am curious as well what they will do with Book 4 and 5 on screen, and I am pretty sure they will merge both books into 1 or 2 seasons without the character split.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #489 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:58 pm »
+1
what is the last episode, 10th?
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2012, 12:41:12 am »
+1
I disagree. I am convinced once the series is finished, the ingeniousness of a Feast for Crows will be discovered. I enjoyed the book very much and it is exactly as smoothrich described with book 2, it sets ground for the finish of the series. You all will see.

As for S02E10 I fucking loved that as well, to see Tyrion lose everything he has build up in a single stroke by his father on his shitting horse, or Luwins death, or the destroyed throne room covered in snow and many other great scenes. Well, in case you didn't notice I am a bit of a fanboy of this series :D

On another note I am curious as well what they will do with Book 4 and 5 on screen, and I am pretty sure they will merge both books into 1 or 2 seasons without the character split.

I think most of the problems with book 4 and 5 are that GRRM originally wanted a "time jump" to happen and advance the plot by 4-5 years.  This was intended to age up all the characters and get everyone in position for a big final showdown in the last book.  He decided to scrap the book he was working on and start over with Feast for Crows though, because he felt the aftermath of Book 3 was too important to his story to skip.

I think some of the plot lines really suffer for this and feel like they are unfocused and aren't getting to where they need to be, but there is still 2 more books, lol god knows if they ever come out.  Other characters are still immensely enjoyable, and the books as a whole are still excellent reads.

And yeah, I imagine books 4 and 5 will not be divided by character perspective, a big thing with a TV series is that actors you have on contract need to get moments to show up.  Jamie and Twyin Lannister, and Robb Stark, barely show up in book 2, however the showrunners gave them lots of extra scenes to keep them working and in the show.  All really good scenes I might add.

And for what faults season 2 of GoT has, its one of my favorite shows that I've seen.  HBO owns.  Check out HBO's Rome if you want something similar and never seen it, its great!
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:48 am »
And for what faults season 2 of GoT has, its one of my favorite shows that I've seen.  HBO owns.  Check out HBO's Rome if you want something similar and never seen it, its great!

I can't agree more on this. GoT as well as Rome (just finishing season 2 of Rome) are indescribably good. Good thing I have a big TV and HBO in full HD  8-)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 15, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
+1
big HBO fan here. Titus! A shame they cancelled that one. Personally I think The Wire is the best TV show ever made. Also liked Sopranos and on a total different level Flight of the Chonchords, gotta love Jermain. "Brit?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:16:42 am by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 15, 2012, 10:10:19 am »
big HBO fan here. Titus! A shame they cancelled that one.

Well to be honest the further story is not as interesting once Octavian becomes emperor of Rome, no more fights for power as Octavian stays on the throne till he dies at the age of 75 :D

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:04 am »
+1
Well to be honest the further story is not as interesting once Octavian becomes emperor of Rome, no more fights for power as Octavian stays on the throne till he dies at the age of 75 :D
eh? I already posted that? strange.

well, the problem is that the show was planned to go much longer. Then they cancelled it and cramped much stuff together in the last season with big time gaps and so on.