Poll

Was the turn rate nerf good or bad for the game?

Good
76 (29.9%)
Bad
178 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Voting closed: December 18, 2012, 07:08:46 pm

Author Topic: Turn rate nerf good or bad for the game in general?  (Read 9966 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Turn rate nerf good or bad for the game in general?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »
+3
What am I supposed to vote if I think that in the current state it is bad, but it should be reworked to work properly, instead of just being reverted? You know, the weight+length depending speed penalty, and perhaps even making overhead turnspeed faster than stab turnspeed, except for crushthrough weapons. If the patch will lead to such a change (and the change proves to be good, which I can't judge right now), then it would be wrong to vote "bad"...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2096
  • Infamy: 1524
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:48 pm »
+1
Me too. But thats not the point, it sucks (for me personal) even more when playing my 1h alt, and also sucks when playing my 2h gaysword alt (all 2h sword were affected less than all other weapons, but still).

It just sucks in general, thats a fact.

What Tzar said, too.

Well, your class is still broken which means that turn rate nerf wasn't successful there. I would personally revert it but you'll have to take hits somewhere else, like no jumping with pikes and proper hitboxes that actually represent pike models.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
+1
Yes, but my class has got squat to do with my appreciation of the turn rate nerf as I only started playing it after the turn rate nerf. In fact the removal of the turn rate nerf would mean that I would have to learn longspearing all over again. I don't even have a clue about how it used to work. Also, the effectivity of longspears was hurt very little with the turn rate nerf.
I hope this means that you voted bad?

It was much easier to handle. But then again, blocking down worked, too.

I would like to see it removed, just for the 1h-sake. Weapons without thrusts are all over the place, just spamming left/right.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2247
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
+3
I hope this means that you voted bad?

Yes I voted bad.

There are two aspects of crpg, one is skill based non realistic game where turn speed nerf makes no sense and realistic medieval combat simulator where turn speed nerf didn't help at all. That's why I voted against it.

Although I prefer medieval combat simulator more than exploiting badly implemented game mechanics and calling that skill or whatever.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
+3
What am I supposed to vote if I think that in the current state it is bad, but it should be reworked to work properly, instead of just being reverted? You know, the weight+lenght depending speed penalty, and perhaps even making overhead turnspeed faster than stab turnspeed, except for crusthrough weapons. If the patch will lead to such a change (and the change proves to be good, which I can't judge right now), then it would be wrong to vote "bad"...  :?
Voting bad means that you think the game is worse off than before the turn rate nerf. Voting bad does not however mean that you think there wasn't a point in the turn rate nerf, nor does it mean that the game used to be perfect. It you think the change should be either reworked, removed or reduced then vote bad. You should not vote on any speculations about future patches, it is just about a before and after comparison.

My goal with this thread is to gather a clear view of the community's thoughts about the turn rate nerf, not about the ideas behind it, but just about the execution and the effects it has had. If a strong majority says bad, that does not mean that the devs ought to simply remove it. It means they should reasses what they hoped to achieve with it and the way they did it.

This is really as clear as I can put it.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »
im a long spear user atm but before the nerf i was able to go 25-2 with an awlpike and just stabbing and wiggling like crazy. now only the good players can do it ^^

I think it does need some thought and tweaking tho.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:38 pm »
+3
Turn speed nerf is utter shit. This game has become too easy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »
+1
no jumping with pikes

That wouldn't do anything to long spears at all, just saying. Anyway, all jump attacks feel silly, not just the ones with pikes. Anyone else remember that (some name)_the_Frog who was using the scythe exclusively? :lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »
+19
Not sure if possible (probably not) but does dynamic turnrate depending on weapon speed/length/weight (or any combination of those) sound good?

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »
Not sure if possible (probably not) but does dynamic turnrate depending on weapon speed/length/weight (or any combination of those) sound good?

Suggested so many times!

That would be the best solution.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »
+2
Only if it could make 2hs count for at least 50+ reach due to god animations.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »
+1
Requires a lot of thought, but if well thought through, then yes. I see point in roflcopterstabbing with very long weapons being undesirable and the 180 overheads with a great maul are a bit nasty too. Maybe some amazing formula, otherwise weapon specific changes would do too. It all depends on what is possible o course.

In any case, if someone who knows what is possible modding wise clearly formulates what he wants to achieve with such a change, based on community requests or extensive ingame experience, and he thinks of a precise and discriminating solution, all is well as far as I am concerned. The current turn rate nerf does not reflect a solid thought process like that though. Part of making big changes in a beta mod like this should be listening to what the community thinks or atleast adequately explaining the reasoning behind a change. Here's hoping that the devs are not beyond doing that.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »
It sounds like a good idea, would maybe work if all melee weapons did not have similar weights.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »
+4
Turn speed nerf is utter shit. This game has become too easy.

This is the exact reason, why it sucks and is boring. To me it appears to me that all these nerfs/buffs move melee closer to the point were everybody is equal and all melee classes play identically the same.  Infinite fights between polearms, 1hs, 2h etc, doesnt really matter. Same basic, only different speeds, animations, lenghts. I kinda miss roflchoppering and wierdass shit. Now its just block left and right and do a few thrustblocks, without any suprises happening whatsoever.

I purely blame the community for this. Always the 1000 QQ threads when 1 class has some tiny thing than others dont, like they have a 100% disadvantage now. Well are you freaking happy now? Why dont we just finish the job fully, give all melee weapons same animations, same damage, same speed, same abilities and same lenght. Than you stop whining? Ofcourse you freaking wont!

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »
I like and hate it, but I think I hate it more than I like it :mrgreen:.

Worst change in my opinion is still the armor soak value whatever change, they did in spring 2011..