Poll

pikewalls? (new vote because people were too stupid to understand earlier vote)

i want crushthrough on the pike
buff formations, nerf ninjas (eg: no blocking)
you can try as much as you can to nerf close combat with pikes, i still dont want pikewalls.
add overhead stab

Author Topic: pikewalls  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: pikewalls
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »
I'm a pikeman, and I would hate to see this change. Pikes are fine (except for the massive thrust-stun :twisted:)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:04 pm »
Here's a better idea: Remove skill from the game, as it hinders fun. Here's how I imagine it works: First we're going to have to cut compatibility with the old client and move everyone to the beta, we don't need the dx7 guys anyway so w/e. Then all cmp has to do, is remove things like chambering, the ability to feint and hold swings and finally(I know it might seem like a bit much on this one), remove the ability to block, entirely.

What's fun is killing people and everyone blocking my attacks is clearly keeping me from having fun, therefore I conclude that this is the best possible way we can currently improve crpg and strategus.

(click to show/hide)

before you start bragging such shit, you might atleast write something like  "TL;DR lol"  in front of your comment as you clearly didnt even take the minimum time to read it. now read it, and read it good, because this thread doesnt want pikes to have an additional crushtrough 'buff', the point is that i was opting for a way to make pikewalls a valid tactic in the game. this with for instance adding a chance not to be able to block more than one incoming attack (wich is totally logic). I STATED that the pikes dont need a buff and that they are good as they are, so that is why i opted for some sort of nerf that makes the 'crushtrough' (call it how you want, i dont call it crushtrough btw) not OP.
you might want to try to read the comments of other players that took the time to read the original post and see that they have given some very good ideas like making the pike not able to block or making the turnspeed nerf even bigger. this offcourse would only be like that for for instance the pike so we have atleast 1 weapon in the game that is very good at pike formations but very bad when alone or when people come up close. it will need hybrid builds to make this build valid (i dont call that op).

So yeah, buff group use of pikes, nerf 1v1. Make them THE group weapon.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:26:25 am by no_rules_just_play »

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
I'm a pikeman, and I would hate to see this change. Pikes are fine (except for the massive thrust-stun :twisted:)

yeah i get that, having to change your build isnt really a nice idea to think about. thats why im only suggesting this. but i think its worth trying out (maybe adding a new polearm to the game to see how the community reacts to it before actually implementing this for the pike)

btw this 'unable to block multiple stabs' could also be added for twohanders and every other weapon that stabs. i am a long awlpiker and indeed i believe my weapon really doesnt need this. maybe only for the pike this might be a good idea. however very hard to implement (imagine all the pikers rage and imagine what happens when it seems like people dont like it and it is removed again => again pikers rage)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
+1
before you start bragging such shit, you might atleast write something like  "TL;DR lol"  in front of your comment as you clearly didnt even take the minimum time to read it. now read it, and read it good, because this thread doesnt want pikes to have an additional crushtrough 'buff', the point is that i was opting for a why to make pikewalls a valid tactic in the game. this with for instance adding a chance not to be able to block more than one incoming attack (wich is totally logic). I STATED that the pikes dont need a buff and that they are good as they are, so that is why i opted for some sort of nerf that makes the 'crushtrough' (call it how you want, i dont call it crushtrough btw) not OP.
you might want to try to read the comments of other players that took the time to read the original post and see that they have given some very good ideas like making the pike not able to block or making the turnspeed nerf even bigger. this offcourse would only be like that for for instance the pike so we have atleast 1 weapon in the game that is very good at pike formations but very bad when alone or when people come up close. it will need hybrid builds to make this build valid (i dont call that op).
You're absolutely right, I didn't make any comments about anything other than your "crushthrough" suggestion and I certainly didn't state that pikes are already strong and thus not needing anything of the sort in the emboldened phrase.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »
+1
Shielders define the lines -> pikes/2hlolstab support the shielders -> archers shoot enemy support -> cav kill anyone not in the line.

That is strategus.

No where in this will a pike wall be Effective, they will just get shot.

Note: The formation assumption is made that the team is fighting as a unit

Not seeing the benefit other than the current pike support role and 1v1 would be buffed almost OP. Which it does not need in the above basic strategus formation.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 06:10:37 am »
+2
You're video in the other thread shows that yes, pikewalls were harder to get through, but it ALSO shows just how unwieldy pikes are and just how in trouble a pikeman would be in close combat.

:arrow: Add the realism of pikewalls ** IF ** you add the realism that pikemen are not effective at close range combat.

With all due respect!  :wink:
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 07:21:40 am »
To be honest I despise the notion of weapons that have less than 4 attack directions.
Why not just make the swings that you see fit less effective, rather than non-existent?
VERY nice boy :)

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 07:35:25 am »
You're video in the other thread shows that yes, pikewalls were harder to get through, but it ALSO shows just how unwieldy pikes are and just how in trouble a pikeman would be in close combat.

:arrow: Add the realism of pikewalls ** IF ** you add the realism that pikemen are not effective at close range combat.

With all due respect!  :wink:
indeed, thats why i and alot of other people mentioned: not being able to block

To be honest I despise the notion of weapons that have less than 4 attack directions.
Why not just make the swings that you see fit less effective, rather than non-existent?
swinging with a piker? no.
maybe a small wiggle with where you hit with the stick so you can hit horsemen in the face or tap infantery on their heads, but swinging like in warband is extremely gay

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:15 am »
This would fuck up the balance so bad, luls i can see i infront of me.. byz pike squad, will be like in the glory days of shogunate but then we had overhead longspears.

This wont work, pikes are already good enough, and i doubt there will ever be more formations than simple shieldwalls.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:32 am »
This would fuck up the balance so bad, luls i can see i infront of me.. byz pike squad, will be like in the glory days of shogunate but then we had overhead longspears.

This wont work, pikes are already good enough, and i doubt there will ever be more formations than simple shieldwalls.
READ.THE.FUCKING.THREAD

nuff said

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:09 am »
READ.THE.FUCKING.THREAD

nuff said

(click to show/hide)
I.DID.AND.I.DONT.LIKE.THE.SUGGESTION

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:28 am »
I.DID.AND.I.DONT.LIKE.THE.SUGGESTION
ITS.CLEARLY.SAID.THAT.WE.DONT.WANT.A.PIKER.BUFF.WE.WANT.A.OVERALL.FORMATION.BUFF.WE.DONT.CARE.IF.THIS.MEANS.NERF.FOR.PIKES.LIKE.NOT.BEING.ABLE.TO.MOTHAFUCKIN.BLOCK

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:19:39 pm »
ITS.CLEARLY.SAID.THAT.WE.DONT.WANT.A.PIKER.BUFF.WE.WANT.A.OVERALL.FORMATION.BUFF.WE.DONT.CARE.IF.THIS.MEANS.NERF.FOR.PIKES.LIKE.NOT.BEING.ABLE.TO.MOTHAFUCKIN.BLOCK
Ah well..
I think pikes are fine though and dont really need to be nerfed. Noone ever does formations so i guess this would only be a pretty big nerf to them..

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
Ah well..
I think pikes are fine though and dont really need to be nerfed. Noone ever does formations so i guess this would only be a pretty big nerf to them..
that was the point: buff formations, nerf ninjas
even stronger, make ninja fighting with a pike impossible

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:39 pm »
swinging like in warband is extremely gay