Author Topic: The Universe Project  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: The Universe Project
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Wise man once said: "Gameworld shouldnt be big, it has to feel big."

Making a gigantic world/galaxy would simply suck ass, cause I dont want to travel for many realworld months to a place and than mybe die in a second. And this dev might be speaking out of his ass, kinda like Peter Molyneux when he said to everybody:"Im gonna create the best roleplaying game in the world". And than he gave us Fable 3, which didnt even qualify as good, let alone best. -.-

But the concept is intriguing, id give it that much.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:04 pm »
+2
I've seen better vaporware. This is literally a crappy video anyone could make linked on a crappy website.. I don't understand all the posts here about how great of a concept it is: do everything you could ever imagine anywhere everevereverever derp. If I say that with a deep movie voice and put piano music in the background does it really make it that impressive or convincing? With the portability and scale they talk about, if anything, it will be a 2d sprite version of Salem.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:22:43 pm by bilwit »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »
I've seen better vaporware. This is literally a crappy video anyone could make linked on a crappy website.. I don't understand all the posts here about how great of a concept it is: do everything you could ever imagine anywhere everevereverever derp. If I say that with a deep movie voice and put piano music in the background does it really make it that impressive or convincing? With the portability and scale they talk about, if anything, it will be a 2d sprite version of Salem.

In case of overhype over a video, read a transcript instead. Overhype solved.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
I expect this game to have max 100 000 players. First spread across the globe trying to desperately find eachother. And the second they come close to getting anything done, some griefer destroys the rocket. By the time they get in to space the game will have max 50 000 players and then you have 50 000 players spread across the ENTIRE galaxy. Doing nothing.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:51 pm »

Lol yea, so true. The guy is litterally speaking out of his ass. "Do everything, go everywere, be everything and no boundries". The scale of the idea is massive and basically flawed as hell. The video explained nothing. The shit it said, was basically same shit every 5 year old can make up. Damn, even I could have explained the concept better as a 5 year old kid making random shit up about my dreamgame as the camera keeps rollin. Not to mention the presentation was in god damn DOODLES! Pretty sure the devs of this are retarded or just  desperate to get your credit card info.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1182
  • Infamy: 2090
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 04:03:01 am »
This actually looks very decent:

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 04:14:52 am »
This actually looks very decent:

I tried it when it was 0.2, ran like shit and was realy clunky/buggy. Obviously though since it's super Alpha...I'm looking forward to it in the future though.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:08 am »
(click to show/hide)

So whats so special about it? Apart from humans wiping out prehistoric animals from another planet. And never have been such a huge fan of games that have futuristic swords, shields and guns at the same time. Kinda wierds me out. Why buy a shiny sword when you can get a machinegun?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2874
  • Infamy: 1647
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »
It's kinda like Spore but not quite. Also reminds me of game I've played 14 years ago (when dial-up modem was the only way for me to connect to internet). It was small, free indie game made by some Finish guy. You've played from top down perspective. Your ship crashed on random planet and parts were scattered everywhere on the map, you had to collect them and reassemble your ship. Problem is, planet isn't very friendly and there are wild animals/creatures who will kill you if you come near. You also need to eat and drink. Typical survival game. Can't remember the name.

This game I've linked could be the same we're discussing here, because:
1) It's made in Unity3D
2) It uses voxel technology (procedural terrain generation)
3) It has "powerful" tools which allow you to make anything you want (latest video is showing weapon creation)
4) Because it's based on voxel technology, it's possible to simulate the whole planet and maybe even part of the universe, with seamless transition between planets

Imho it's a cool idea for a game. Kinda like Empire Earth mixed with Battlestar Galactica.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Not another kickstarter project to steal money...

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:05 pm »
Hmm, curious.... let see how it turns out. I for one quite loved Spore. Althou it made no sense at all and many hated it.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 06:33:52 pm »
Hmm, curious.... let see how it turns out. I for one quite loved Spore. Althou it made no sense at all and many hated it.

Actually I loved the very first part of Spore when you are a bacteria. Or at least I would have loved it if it was a free flash game or something. Still, I much enjoyed playing it.

I also liked the space game and building creatures. Everything else was terrible.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2342
  • Infamy: 754
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »
I tried it when it was 0.2, ran like shit and was realy clunky/buggy. Obviously though since it's super Alpha...I'm looking forward to it in the future though.

Tried it yesterday. Firs time I put 42 as seed number and ended in some underground cave full of nasty spiders...

Later, I figured out what to do but still don't know how to chop trees. And it's full of bugs (well it's alpha).

It's basically 3D Terraria.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:07 am »
+2
When Tore first sent me that link on steam I thought it was a link to his cousins flash game website :|