Poll

Keep this program or not?

Make it open source or announce it if you use it
Unfair Remove it
Keep it as is
http://forum.meleegaming.com/strategus-general-discussion/cheating-or-no/msg670358/#msg670358

Author Topic: Cheating or No?  (Read 11997 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: Cheating or No?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »
+5
I find it hard to see how a program giving you an advantage should be allowed without it being publicized and freely allowed to anyone.

It's just the way I see it. We all know the strategus website lacks many features, UI-wise. As far as I'm concerned you can write your own client for strategus, as long as it obeys certain rules (no automation of actions). I'm always thrilled to see what people come up with. For me, client side modding is perfectly fine.

Also, what's wrong with a buy script. What could possibly be wrong about making buying stuff easier?

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »
+1
It's just the way I see it. We all know the strategus website lacks many features, UI-wise. As far as I'm concerned you can write your own client for strategus, as long as it obeys certain rules (no automation of actions). I'm always thrilled to see what people come up with. For me, client side modding is perfectly fine.
I agree that strategus mods to certain extents could be acceptable, but still, it'd only be acceptable if everyone were given an equal chance to use it, not just you and your allies.
If only wolves had used it to test and only the wolves I'd also have been fine with it, but they shared it, Eastern exclusive.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline aLef

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:10 pm »
However, if the community as a whole decides that they don't want this to be allowed, I will accept this and outlaw usage of the data like this.

если бля да кабы...gona buy a lot of keys and tell u what to do...it's new way of desitions made?

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »
+4
Adding Poll!

Tried to keep it unbiased! If you think it's to biased go ahead and say so and I'll try and word it properly.
(the options are based on what I've read people wish to have had done with software)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 04:42:36 pm »
+1
I'd like to enjoy the advantages this community enhancement provides as well.

How do I get in on that?
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »
+5
Adding Poll!

Tried to keep it unbiased! If you think it's to biased go ahead and say so and I'll try and word it properly.
(the options are based on what I've read people wish to have had done with software)

To be honest, I think the entire thread is biased already. Make a new thread imo.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »
I could, but a new thread should be made by someone with more info. There's now far more info out there about this than when I started this thread. King should make a poll and explain the program. He's the main developer/leader/runner/w/e guy. So Perhaps he should make the poll.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
+1
IMO some dev should post such a thread if it needs to be unbiased, I doubt kinngrimm would make it anymore fair than a grey would.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 05:02:36 pm »
+1
I believe the main problem wasn't what the program did, in so much as to who had access. If maybe like 1/2 people were doing tests, then I'm very positive this program would never have been this blown out of proportion.

But when it shows a lot of factions using it(and from one side), the other side and non users go, "Hey, why are THEY the only ones testing/using it and not open testing beyond 4-5 people?"

And Just looking at the initial votes, you can see that it's already started that route. Most people have problem with the secertiveness of it rather than what it does(now that most know what it does.)

I thought, myself, that is was way more...unbalancing. But now that I have learned what it does, it's interesting. There's already been an abuse of it mentioned(Put AFKer on mountain, open strat tab, set autorefresh to 5 minutes, you get constant live stream). I think, had it been open source or at least ANNOUNCED that "Hey we are testing this can we get testers" would have kept this...well...less drama than it is.

I also edited my first post to remove ANY input from me.

I will wait to see if someone else makes a new thread. If they do, I'll stop this voting.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:59 pm »
Well basically after reading all this mess, if I would make any script or improvement on strategus I would not share it anymore. Congratulations on that  :mad:

You guys don't know how much time ppl put into stuff like that...
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 05:08:47 pm »
I believe the main problem wasn't what the program did, in so much as to who had access.

Dodnet: You have put your add-ons out there for anyone to use, not use some approval process like this "beta".
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 05:10:34 pm »
+1
Well basically after reading all this mess, if I would make any script or improvement on strategus I would not share it anymore. Congratulations on that  :mad:

Sharing is fine if you allow EVERYONE to do it. That's where(at least my problem, now that I know what it does), came from. Devolping stuff and having testers is fine, but you don't need 34 testers of 1 side to test. you can use, very easily 4 testers to get a stable version out and then make it open source and let anyone test it and give you feed back.

For your script you tested it yourself for a long time(or so) before releasing it to everyone and making further refinements at later date based upon feedback and new ideas.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
+2
Dodnet: You have put your add-ons out there for anyone to use, not use some approval process like this "beta".

Yeah, but I published it, when it was finished not a half ready version of it. Making something like kinngrimm did with a database and stuff behind and having x ppl play around on it while its still in development is plainly useless.

And thats the difference which some of you might not understand.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »
Yeah, but I published it, when it was finished not a half ready version of it. Making something like kinngrimm did with a database and stuff behind and having x ppl play around on it while its still in development is plainly useless.

And thats the difference which some of you might not understand.

And if he kept it to just wolves, that might be a valid argument for testing sake. He didn't.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:31:28 pm by Rikthor »
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »
But here again lies the problem. It's NOT finished, yet there is 34  or more people using it.(or at least have accounts)

I'm all for working on a new program. But with this one, it's been known for 2 months and limits the shit you gotta micromanage(Awesome). But It was giving on invite only(as a test, alright) but to 34 or more players(EH!?!) of one side(....). Development should continue on it, and king made the right choice by putting out there: What it does, what it's goal is, how to get access(and why it's done this way). It should have been like that the moment the idea to go beyond 4-5 testers was decided. People would know, and if they wish to help(or use) this program they would have had access to get to it.

I have never heard of it until shik mentioned what it was in a very short concise post(with thovex showing some screenies with the first picture making me go ????)

This whole thing could be handled way better in terms of release, general knowledge, or otherwise. Just...popping up out of nowhere kinda pisses people off. Wouldn't you be pissed if someone out of nowhere showed you a program that did X so much better or easier or w/e criteria you use than what is originally provided and they were using  it for a long time?