Author Topic: Rondel dagger vs Long Dagger and others  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Rondel dagger vs Long Dagger and others
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »
+11
Hey guys, I'm just about to talk briefly about something that I'm sure is already clear to many, but perhaps some do not know.

Recently the Rondel Dagger was added into cRPG. Fantastic, I love me some daggers, and it's a very viable weapon for specific playstyles. I love that!

However, there's a problem. Here's the rondel dagger stats:
(click to show/hide)

Here's the long dagger (a very comparable weapon) stats:
(click to show/hide)

The big problem here lies with the rondel dagger's secondary mode, which allows the user to perform tri-directional attacks, and as far as I understand, uses pierce damage type. Now, with a faster base speed, and pierce damage type which is huge both for increased damage output and (I think?) less glancing. Least, the rondel seems to glance less than the long dagger.

Now, as I said before, I fucking love me some daggers. I'm glad that the rondel dagger is in the game with its current stats. However, it seems that there is absolutely no incentive to choose the Dagger, Long dagger, etc over the Rondel Dagger. If you use the Long Dagger, you'll do considerable less damage, especially on horizontal swings, you'll swing slower, all at the benefit of 10 more length- putting the Long Dagger at a still incredibly short 47 length. The length is simply not an important stat on such a weapon type, I would argue.

tl;dr: Keep Rondel Dagger as is, somehow buff/change Long Dagger, Dagger, and possibly Khyber Knife and Knife, although the last two weapons are entering into peasant-gear territory.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Rondel dagger vs Long Dagger and others
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »
+1
i use long dagger cuz i got it masterworked and i use heirloom eye candy .
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:42 am »
+8
The best solution in my view to make both the Long Dagger and Rondel viable in different ways would simply be to remove the "can't block" property from the Long Dagger but leave it on the Rondel.

It makes little sense that you can block with a wooden stick, a torch, and a hammer but that you can't block with a weapon that would have been used in the off-hand to defend against attacks.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:32:30 am »
The best solution in my view to make both the Long Dagger and Rondel viable in different ways would simply be to remove the "can't block" property from the Long Dagger but leave it on the Rondel.

It makes little sense that you can block with a wooden stick, a torch, and a hammer but that you can't block with a weapon that would have been used in the off-hand to defend against attacks.

I think you're right on with that. Very good suggestion, 10/10 would implement

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »
Or add ''Cant parry'' to rondel dagger. Do not forget that our balance team like ''hard ways''...

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:49:47 pm »
The problem is the HUGE amount of pierce damage ! More than most of bigger weapons !
I mean, if a dagger has 30 pierce damage, what has 15/10/5 pierce ? A toothpick ?
That is properly insane.

How a dagger can inflict more damages than a sword ? Do you imagine that IRL ?
If someone strikes you at full power with a sword, the blade will transpierce the body and will destroy any bones in the way while a dagger will be stuck in the armor or bounce in a bone.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »
unusable with shield

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:18 pm »
+1
The problem is the HUGE amount of pierce damage ! More than most of bigger weapons !
I mean, if a dagger has 30 pierce damage, what has 15/10/5 pierce ? A toothpick ?
That is properly insane.

How a dagger can inflict more damages than a sword ? Do you imagine that IRL ?
If someone strikes you at full power with a sword, the blade will transpierce the body and will destroy any bones in the way while a dagger will be stuck in the armor or bounce in a bone.
http://forum.meleegaming.com/realism-discussion/
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »
+2
As far as I am concerned the daggers are only for looking cool on your belt or for fucking around. For this role, the long dagger is still the best because it looks the coolest. Using any of the daggers as your primary weapon is kinda silly, as you would be better off with a real weapon. Ex: steel pick>rondel dagger, espada>long dagger

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
As far as I am concerned the daggers are only for looking cool on your belt or for fucking around. For this role, the long dagger is still the best because it looks the coolest. Using any of the daggers as your primary weapon is kinda silly, as you would be better off with a real weapon. Ex: steel pick>rondel dagger, espada>long dagger
The rondel daggers are actually good secondaries for agi based onehanders, I use an espada, if I'm certain my next hit won't be blocked and my target is using a slower weapon the second I swing I'll switch to my Rondel dagger, by the time the enemy is un-stunned I'll have my rondel unsheathed, and because of the tiny size and the sudden huge change in speed and my 181ish wpf I can pretty much always land a solid face-hit and either go for another if I expect to be able to hit a second time or switch back to my espada and block his next attack.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:05 am »
I support being able to block with the Long Dagger.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »
+2
Daggers with blocking abilities would ruin the point of daggers.

Come on, you can already block with sickles and that sucks :(

I mean, my Yurt_The_Silent_Chief character is not at all awesome, not having to chamberblock everything.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:29 pm »
I say just lower the secondary mode's swing damage so it isn't quite as competitive with the 1 slot 1 handed weapons. Even if it lost 10 pierce damage from its swings, the thing might hit heavily armored enemies with more power than a +3 knife (28 cut swings).

As it currently is, the rondel is the ONLY dagger anyone would pick based on stats alone. If used correctly it is more effective than 1H weapons that cost 3000-4000g more. Rather than buff the other zero slot weapons, the rondel should be bumped down to where it belongs.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:51 pm »
The Rondel is far more difficult to use on a moving target due to the length.  Having a slight advantage in reach for one-handed weapons provides a large advantage for usage (favouring the Khyber especially, that thing is long).  Longer weapons require less precision.

The Rondel can be easily S-keyed by the defender because the weapon is so short.  I have 8 Athletics and get more kills with the Khyber because of the length.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:36 pm »
Rondel is an excellent siege weapon as it is less likly to get stuck on random crap that 2h and polearms swing through no problem. Basically evens the field, but that damage is seriously OP. Maybe keep the thrust, but a peirce swing? Common, 10 blunt damage max for this clam shucker.