Author Topic: microsoft sam explains archery of old  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: microsoft sam explains archery of old
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:16 am »
+1
He is a good shot.

Do you think that archers actually used this technique. When did they stop using it. Is it why the french lost at the battle of agincourt

Also why the fuck would you stop doing this. Surely it is better than an unrifled flintlock

Because it wouldn't stand against a massive line of muskets drilled and firing in unison. Not very accurate, but a hail of lead is going much faster than those arrows. It wasn't accurate past 100-150 yards, but when you have a line it doesn't matter. Shit dies hundreds of yards away so even without accuracy, the line could have greater range.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:59 am »
Also it only works with wimpy bows that need no force to draw. It's good for horse archers, and if the enemy is already close, but you couldn't do this with an english longbow. Such bows were used in a way that modern artillery is now used, inaccurate, massed fire on a focused area of the battlefield.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 02:05:46 am »
More machine-gun archers needed :)
VERY nice boy :)

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 05:10:31 am »
the clip is just a share, and in no way is it my intention to lobby for this archery , it wouldnt fit in current mount and blade/ crpg gameplay, on the otherhand i was serieus about adding 1 speed to the heavy great sword, since to my knowledge weight dousnt do enything but slow you down , i dousnt really stun.. and i was told it dousnt help against glances.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 06:42:13 pm »
anyway, i think the nerfing of archery has gone too far. its too much now. i think a buff is needed, but not like this fast shooting.

altough i think that changing the archery animation to this (about same speed tough) could be very cool and nice looking. crpg would be one of the first games where ancient archery is shown correctly
=> attracts new players => profit

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 07:20:23 pm »
As much as I'd love to do that again, too many 2h and no shield polearm people would just cry nerf instead of going to the melee server

that's stupid. They would be in the right to complain. there would be no point in beeing melee anymore.
Like if i said : lets make archery deal 1 cut damage a shot, and any archer complaining would just be QQing"

get what i mean?

Anyway interesting video, just shows we know nothing of archery and that all people ( pro and against) who debate in archery threads leaning on "real life "facts are actually just using false evidence

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »
+1

I think it wasnt very nice to see a line of longbowman  at horizon in medieval times.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
I read somewhere that the historical longbow draw weight is massively exaggerated. It would certainly increase your rate of fire even if the draw weight was very high anyway.

Smaller bows fell out of favor due to their very high price. Longbows are very crude in comparison to the bows of other cultures.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 12:34:20 am »
I read somewhere that the historical longbow draw weight is massively exaggerated. It would certainly increase your rate of fire even if the draw weight was very high anyway.

And the "experts" claimed that the shot speed was massively exaggerated...until this video that is. I'm certain "experts" disbelieved the damage that can be done by the "Iron Fist" technique until they saw it done by a practitioner as well.

Just because you can't do something does not mean that it can't be done.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 08:30:58 am »
+1
Also it only works with wimpy bows that need no force to draw. It's good for horse archers, and if the enemy is already close, but you couldn't do this with an english longbow. Such bows were used in a way that modern artillery is now used, inaccurate, massed fire on a focused area of the battlefield.

No, ask Robin Hood.

(click to show/hide)
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 11:44:34 am »
This guy says one very important thing on the video (00:22) "and then came gunpowder and my old friendchery was forgotten".

He is telling us that adding guns to cRPG will be the end of bundle of sticks archers.

We're already halfway to codRPG (just spec a strat battle), might as well go full way on it.

Lol for some reason i would like to see guns in crpg, but i guess they would work pretty much like crossbows so wouldnt add much variety anyways..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Wojtek_the_Kurwa_Great

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wojtek
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »
Hey this thread isn't complete garbage.  Good job.

I was having a hard time seeing his technique (in detail) - would be interesting to see a thorough explanation / demonstration. 

I've always disliked the "put chainmail on a taught dummy with no give and watch things put holes in it" demonstration.