Author Topic: The root of all misery in cRPG  (Read 7152 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: The root of all misery in cRPG
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 11:23:09 pm »
+2
i like turtles
Turtles

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »
Agree with Artyem.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 11:28:28 pm »
+2
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »
+4
I don't give a shit about standard bows, it's the fuckin' crossbows that are causing the QQ's and the bloo bloo's.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
+2
so kiting has been adressed....

You write a nice big post of how archers have a difficult life...

While you did that, I know a lot of archers (thomas cadarn, johanE, Bagge, zerobot) who still rain down death even though they cant run like fairies,  who pull off an insane amount of headshots, kills and are still to be massively feared and have an important influence on the battle.

Those are the archers that i respect and fear because they are still there hitting like trucks and bringing death on others and you would never believe they'v been nerfed.

You? You just cry on the forums, man up, get out there and show you are to be feared, because all those archers are not waiting for you

ps : now don't get me wrong, myabe arrow speed drope tc was too much, i never had a big problem with archery, jsut the kiting was plain stupid

You did not read the OP. In the OP I stated that I think adressing kiting is good thing but the "solution" devs came up actually did fail to balance the game in an appropriate way. Before I repeat the hole post please read it.

Also the OP was written with opinions of the very archers you list in mind. Some of the first class archers concider me to be a first class archers in this mod as well and I too can rain down headshots and havoc. The problem with archery now is that a single newbie with a build that is better then yours will autokill-own you, no matter what individual player skill there is, also explained in depth in the OP.

Last but not least when it comes to crying, meleeplayers are and always were the topscoring kind of person. I understand that ones mind will dull over time when you are exposed to this community for long enough and at somepoint every argument looks like crying but look again. There is no whining, all I do is listing facts, objective observations and drawing a conclusion out of it.

Sry mate, but it's not true. melee wpf neither " vastly increase swingspeed" nor "has a large impact on damage". 
Afaik DaveUKR has 5 PS and no more than 90 wpf in 2h and he is "quite" effective at melee. Also, I don't get why "you cant afford any melee WPF." At lvl 30 with 7 WM instead of 165 wpf in archery you can have 155 in archery and 77 in 2h or 1h which is more than enough.
Take byrnie and mail mittens - 39 body armor, 9,1 effective weight. I'm pure melee and have 46 body armor. Ninjas have even less, 42 body armor.

I have to admit that the term "vastly" and "large" can be interpreted differently. The difference between 1 WPF and 150ish WPF is incredibly noticable though when I switch from my archer to my 2h alt. Also, last I checked 100 WPF is worth 15 % melee damage which is about 2 PS. I cant say whether the higher swing speed also adds additional speed bonus.

No matter how you put it, no WPF at all vs. the number of WPF that a dedicated build offers is quite unbalanced when you hear people go crazy because their favorite weapon got -1 speed rating !!! or similar. At this point I would be delighted if a dev could explain how lets say 150 WPF translates into weapon speed points.

The WPF thing would be fine if the example was for melee but ranged WPF just start to get useful at a certain point. If you keep in mind that PD (still) decreases WPF the difference between 155 and 165 WPF - the PD penalty is equal to 71 to 81 effective WPF at just 6 PD ( more PD even more penalty ) which is about 15 % more effective WPF. Those 15 % can be the difference between a hit and a miss at 30 meters for example. Not to mention the longbow, which need a certain amount of WPF in order to be able to release an arrow before the reticule starts to expand due to the low speed rating of the bow. Archery is just very WPF heavy.

In other words: A single PS gives just 8% more damage. Do 2h players invest a spare skill point into shield skill in order to adapt ? Of course not, they go for the additional PS and hope they will need one hit less for the kill every now and then.

At the armor part, yes, probably not all archers wear as much armor as they could. Chapter I - IV though explains that there is simply no point in going melee with an archery build and armor wont change this by a bit. In fact it will just give you harder time getting away from the threat.

Generic Tzar bullshitting

The prime example of people who simply do not meet the intellectual requirements for participating in a discussion. I still wonder why this individual is not muted, let alone who unmuted him.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:36:46 pm by XyNox »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 11:33:09 pm »
I don't give a shit about standard bows, it's the fuckin' crossbows that are causing the QQ's and the bloo bloo's.

Lol yeah. I have a MW arb. non loomed steel bolts and I manage to almost 1 shot a guy with 51+ armor and 5 IF at close range. I know the score points for xbow is really low. 1 hit gives you only 2-3 score, while a melee hit which takes less damage gives more point (Which is okay). Arbalest have a high upkeep, but I you get what you pay for :P

Offline Equal

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 24
  • Secretly not gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Equal
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:15 pm »
+1
Good post, earlier today in battle I was on my archer, and I was so confused when I saw a guy in heraldics barely keeping up with me. I knew there was no way he had more than 7 athletics. Then I read about the weight, that is seriously ridiculous. A knight is as fast as an archer, in fact I looked and my archer has more weight equipped than my cav/1h.

That's my usual equipment loadout, which is 24.1 kg. Now here's my usual archer loadout:

24.6 kg.

Only .5 kg over my main, and that's when I'm still holding onto my lance after I'm dehorsed.. so really it's more like 2.3 kg lighter. AlsoI have 6 athletics where my archer has 7, and my +3 elite cav shield to protect me from his arrows. Not to mention that I have 50+ head armor and 20+ body and leg armor over my archer.

It also irks me when I see every other tincan with a crossbow on his back capable of taking out 3/4s of my health where it takes me roughly 4-6 shots. They also probably have half the proficiency in crossbows than I do in archery. Do I have a solution? Not really, but I don't think this is the right way to go with archery at all.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 11:40:49 pm »
+2
Come on, not all your observations are objective. There are many points I would like to give my input on but that wouldn't lead to anything.

Apart from that, you don't adress the fact that without some kind of coercitive change, archers wouldn't stop kiting. As I always said, archers should have decent melee abilities, and we agree on that. But no matter the possible melee abilites, if he can spec as a pure archer and run away 24/7 from whatever could possibly kill him, there's no reason to change.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43:56 pm »
+3
This is a nice post, but even when cmp released official stats that proved that for both NA and EU that archery damage was less then 10% of all damage dealt and that archery mounted was less then 1.5% damage dealt, they still decided to nerf the hell out of the class a bunch of times.

Just... Give up. People don't like getting shot.
Proof in the devs not knowing what the hell they are doing is the incredibly retarded and complicated decision to make athletics detract from WPF, and THEN reverting that with a simple mechanic to increase weight of items which is what they should have done in the first place instead of overthinking things.

Another example is whomever the bloody moron that decided to make the mechanic initially a penalty of -14*PD+1.5^PD and not bothering to crunch the numbers before hand to figure out that it was game-breaking at 13 PD and near-game-breaking at 12PD. This took the Fallen Brigade literally TWO MINUTES to do ourselves. Two... Fucking... Minutes....

The devs in charge of mechanic rebalancing are lazy, and it shows. Or is there another word for not bothering to run a simple equation that you can do with any calculator for a mere thirteen times?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:52:34 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »
+5
This is a nice post, but even when cmp released official stats that proved that for both NA and EU that archery ground was less then 10% of all damage dealt and that archery mounted was less then 1.5% damage dealt, they still decided to nerf the hell out of the class a bunch of times.

Just... Give up. People don't like getting shot.

I don't think a majority of the population wants to actually nerf archer nor believes they are too powerful. I think they witness facts in the game that spoil the fun of some players and would like that fixed. The way it is fixed doesn't really matter.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 11:52:52 pm »
Just a question Teeth, but how many times are you going to post that link to your own thread on every archer related thread?
Until they fix archery in a way that makes sense.

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 11:58:51 pm »
Just to add, I think that the score-system is really perfect. If you think about it, archery in its own isnt a valorous fighting style. You can be very helpful/effective to your team, but very often an archers life isnt in immediate danger from its surroundings. That's why I believe it to be fair that melee/cav that throw themselves at the enemy should be far bigger candidates for valour. A ranged unit can still perform reallyy well enough to get valour, but it is very rare even for the best ranged players to consistently get it. So that's one area where ranged falls behind, and I think it's fair, even good.
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:32 am »
Lower bow damage across the board, remove the current 1PD bow, lower all req by 1PD, allow archers to wear heavier armour by reducing the wpf bonus, only allow two arrow stacks max and revert the weight back to the old.
This would result in slightly less hard hitting, but more melee competent archers. An example of a build:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 60
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 0
Athletics: 7
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 5
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 100
Archery: 146

(I've played archery (pre this patch) with 146 wpf, it's not so bad)

Could wear some light mail with matching head/leg etc.

Ofc, there needs to be fine tuning within this, I personally can't suggest any weights etc

And what we must remember, SOME ARCHERS DON'T WANT TO STAND AND FIGHT. They want to run, they don't want to melee, so someone will always be unhappy kiting was removed.

And now comes everyone saying what a bad idea this is :)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04:41 am »
+1
... lower all req by 1PD...revert the weight back to the old.
This would encourage kiting.

Most of the problems with c-RPG now with range is that anyone can pick up a crossbow with minimal/zero investment and use it and do well which promotes range spam, and that archery currently favors AGI builds more then STR which encourages forces kiting.

And now comes everyone saying what a bad idea this is :)
Indeed.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:04 am »
+1
This would encourage kiting.

Most of the problems with c-RPG now with range is that anyone can pick up a crossbow with minimal/zero investment and use it and do well which promotes range spam, and that archery currently favors AGI builds more then STR which encourages forces kiting.

Would reduced movement speed when stringing the bow be possible to mod?
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.