Author Topic: The root of all misery in cRPG  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
Re: The root of all misery in cRPG
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:21 pm »
+3
Wow, OP was so long it had an intermission.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:50 pm »
+3
Just fuckin adapt all ready........ so sick of all these kite fairy´s complaining about not being able to kite ....go play some zombie shooter all ready... or better yet get a range only server up and running like melee used to have if you cant stand other builds being able to combat you...
Im sorry, your post now makes no sence at all.
Why don't you tell "just fucking adapt" to all these str-stacking twohanders? Why aren't you sick of all these tincans complaining about not being able to outrun nearly NAKED archer? Shouldn't melee whiners go play with a meat-chopper in their kitchen?
 :D Well i'm kinda kidding right now, sorry I can't reply on such ridiculous posts in a serious way.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »
Wow, OP was so long it had an intermission.

Didn't read it :3

Too long, need a shorter QQ version that is all rage in one sentence such as

I HATE ALL ARCHERS THE FUCKING CUNTS

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
+2
Melee WPF does not only vastly increase your swingspeed but also has a large impact on damage.
Sry mate, but it's not true. melee wpf neither " vastly increase swingspeed" nor "has a large impact on damage". 

No matter if you put 3 or 6 Powerstrike into your build, with minimal WPF your swings wont deal much damage against an armored enemy and are slow enough to be blocked by about anyone with ease.
Afaik DaveUKR has 5 PS and no more than 90 wpf in 2h and he is "quite" effective at melee. Also, I don't get why "you cant afford any melee WPF." At lvl 30 with 7 WM instead of 165 wpf in archery you can have 155 in archery and 77 in 2h or 1h which is more than enough.

It is therefore not surprising that you dont see archers with resonable armor. Its not because they chose so but rather the game dictates you not to do.
Take byrnie and mail mittens - 39 body armor, 9,1 effective weight. I'm pure melee and have 46 body armor. Ninjas have even less, 42 body armor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »
+1
The first fix to archery (ath reducing wpf) was actually a great solution. But people whined and threw fits and now archers are unable to be agile AT ALL. First solution was actually the far better and FAIR one. Oh well. Sucks to be an archer now I'm sure.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »
+1
Falka aslong as archers are able to kite they wont bring a melee weapon or spec for melee it just dons t make sense to do that if your able to just run n pew pew...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline [Ant]

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:48 pm »
I have an old archer.

I play pretty well as polearm most of the time

18/18  135 wpf in archery the rest in 1H

Of course I cant hit shit. Why should 135 be more than enough for melee (140 is great). Even worse 50 wpf is enough to use a crossbow. Yet an archer needs 150+ it is plain stupid. I don't use loomed equipment and i'm not a good archer. I have never found a real need for 35 arrows as I rarely last that long before being engaged pre or post patch (I dont run ever).

If you want 2 stacks of arrows you need to pick a camp and drop than pick up only one when you run out/drop last arrow go back and grab the second stack.

Idea one-- Maybe archers should be rewarded for having melee wpf, small speed increase or effective weight reduction.

Idea two-- http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/1-5-slot-items/                So better weapons can be used and carrying less arrows is encouraged

Idea three-- PD to increase draw speed so wpf is less effective and less important str archer being more viable.

Idea 4--get an x-bow

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »
Falka aslong as archers are able to kite they wont bring a melee weapon or spec for melee it just dons t make sense to do that if your able to just run n pew pew...
Yea, I know, but it's their choice, game allows them to take decent melee gear, which is opposite of what Xynox is saying. Archers in most cases decide to take 0 slot weapon and shitty armor, but if they do so they should't complain about how weak they are at melee.

Today on siege I saw Merc Onion who made 40+ 8 or sth like that. I think he doesn't complain about current state of archery. 

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 10:53:05 pm »
+3
tl;dr: i'm going to discard the whole "ranged" aspect of archery and then compare it to the capabilities of a straight melee build
FREE ALLERS

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »
Nice essay. I gave you a +1.

However, I don't like when people imply that something takes less skill:
"Or simply get a heavy horse and inflict more DPS with bumping everyone to death without any skill required ?"

Even bumping takes skill.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:04 pm »
+2
Archery isn't and never was a problem, the problem is that many players prefer to go for the "easy" kill aka ranged kill and therefore the amount of projectiles flying trough the air is destroying the fun for everyone else.

I blame every somewhat good melee player who is using any kind of ranged to destroy the mod in the long term :evil:.

Edit: Forgot to mention I blame hoplites and cavalry aswell  :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:41:04 pm by NuberT »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 11:02:09 pm »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/how-to-make-archery-more-fun-for-everyone/msg588659/#msg588659

Just a question Teeth, but how many times are you going to post that link to your own thread on every archer related thread?

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:09 pm »
+1
FREE ALLERS

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
+3
what

Bumping is a bit like being the captain of a supertanker and having to crush powerboats that are all trying to avoid you. They can go from 0 to their max speed in a few seconds, and you need several hours.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 11:22:20 pm »
+14
As someone who's been a dedicated melee character for the last two years, I'd like to share my input on how the game is changing for the worse.

There was a time when your ability to top the scoreboard, to do well in battle, to win the match, all revolved around how good you were.  cRPG lacks this factor now in the sense that you can just grind to level 32 or 33, sell your loom points and instantly have enough gold to wear whatever the hell you want, upkeep is unnecessary.  You don't need to be good at blocking these days, just roll high strength in heavy loomed armor with a big two-handed weapon (greatsword or nodachi are preferable) and you'll be a god.  I'm still stuck in the mentality that I am capable of doing well with a rounded build like 18-18 with unloomed equipment.

I've since come to realize that the majority of the community is following whatever is the best and strongest build.  It's natural for anyone to follow that route, since it's the easiest path and requires the least amount of effort and thinking.  The current top builds are crossbows, which require almost no proficiency to be used effectively, hit hard and can be used in heavy armor without restricting their ability to fight in melee, and they don't have to worry about how much money they lose for upkeep because as I said, upkeep has been rendered unnecessary by the marketplace and heirloom points.  To counter this, people don't resort to shields, yet they resort to stacking their strength, using heavy armor and large weapons that can one hit anyone who has an armor rating below 25 and ironflesh less than seven.  Their heavy armor and large weapons enable them to soak up lots of hits and deal just as many, and they don't have to worry about the upkeep because they're stinking rich.

To conclude, it's not exploitation as much as it is human nature to take the easiest, least exerting choices over the challenging ones.  The upkeep system is useless, crossbows are too easy to use, strength is being abused by the commons, money is no longer a variable as much as it is a counter like the health bar, or xp bar.  Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go grind myself to level 32 and sell my loom points so I can avoid worrying about upkeep like everyone else.

Nerf rage buff fun 2012

EDIT:

Incoming swarm of *insert whoever I targeted in my post* -1'ing me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:31:43 pm by Artyem »

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus