Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25828 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2011, 03:23:57 am »
It would be a shame to see the veterans of this mod go. I do miss following epic knights round and being useless, poking into melee with pitchforks, strangely enough. But I am going to stick with it and see where it goes, unless a) Strategus is confirmed to be removed or b)Strategus comes back and cRPG is crap to me. But I am optimistic.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2011, 03:30:58 am »
Amen. It's very true that cRPG was a hell of a lot of fun when it first came out... until it got broken. But it wasn't broken by patches, it was broken by players, and it really didn't take very long.

Stupidest fucking statement ever you must not have played before retirement was added.  Nothing was broken about the game back then.  Sure things get nuts (nuts not even broken then) at about lvl 40 but all that would been needed was a lvl 37 lvl cap or so.  Those people that were even near that high back were so few like what 1-3 people?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:35:21 am by Felagunda »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2011, 03:44:50 am »
Stupidest fucking statement ever you must not have played before retirement was added.  Nothing was broken about the game back then.  Sure things get nuts (nuts not even broken then) at about lvl 40 but all that would been needed was a lvl 37 lvl cap or so.  Those people that were even near that high back were so few like what 1-3 people?

Gee, but you are a presumptuous git. As a matter of fact, I've played pretty much every version of cRPG (not counting quick patches and dev builds) since the very first closed alpha test. Things were broken all right, that's why chadz added retirement in the first place. Unfortunately, he didn't foresee the new problems it would lead to, and the saga continues... but hey, why am I talking to you anyway, you clearly have all the answers, and the only opinion that matters is your own. :lol:
Don't.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2011, 04:39:58 am »
Gee, but you are a presumptuous git. As a matter of fact, I've played pretty much every version of cRPG (not counting quick patches and dev builds) since the very first closed alpha test. Things were broken all right, that's why chadz added retirement in the first place. Unfortunately, he didn't foresee the new problems it would lead to, and the saga continues... but hey, why am I talking to you anyway, you clearly have all the answers, and the only opinion that matters is your own. :lol:

LoL he didn't need to forsee them he had Takeda clan come to him multiple times in IRC and tell him about what the retirement would do to really "break" the game.  We all just got trolled for our warnings.  We even had fucking numbers in excel and shit. So STFU everything you say now is void.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2011, 04:47:13 am »

we need that guy in the game balance team asap! Hundreds of tincans running around, killing peasants, with wpf of about 300 per weapon.

Sounds fun? Sure thing. I'd play it!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:48:58 am by chadz »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2011, 04:52:55 am »
LoL he didn't need to forsee them he had Takeda clan come to him multiple times in IRC and tell him about what the retirement would do to really "break" the game.  We all just got trolled for our warnings.  We even had fucking numbers in excel and shit. So STFU everything you say now is void.

What, you mean it wasn't already? Looks like I really blew my chance at your approval! Never mind the fact that for all its flaws, the retirement patch did a lot to fix earlier problems that were even worse. Clearly your in-depth knowledge qualifies you to make completely objective judgements about the mod. :rolleyes:
Don't.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:00 am »
we need that guy in the game balance team asap! Hundreds of tincans running around, killing peasants, with wpf of about 300 per weapon.

Sounds fun? Sure thing. I'd play it!

are you denying that it was your idea to inherit wpf?

lol

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2011, 05:00:59 am »
What, you mean it wasn't already? Looks like I really blew my chance at your approval! Never mind the fact that for all its flaws, the retirement patch did a lot to fix earlier problems that were even worse. Clearly your in-depth knowledge qualifies you to make completely objective judgements about the mod. :rolleyes:

How is objective that retiring and stacking wpf was not worse than the system before it?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:45 am »
are you denying that it was your idea to inherit wpf?

lol
Not at all.

I'm saying I fucked gameplay up from the very beginning and tried to fix it by adding layers to it. Most had the desired effect, with undesired side effects. Which needed another layers.

I have no problem admitting that I did fuck things up. That's why I revert stuff.

But pretending the game would have survived with the (very) old system is not only naive, it borders retardedness.

edit: just to be clear, i knew wpf inheriting would get out of hands sooner or later. I did it because I thought heirlooms alone wouldn't be enough incentive to retire. I wanted people to retire to lessen the tincans and even the playing field.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:06:02 am by chadz »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:17 am »
How is objective that retiring and stacking wpf was not worse than the system before it?

Obviously it isn't objective, but I think it's still the case -- probably should have said "worse in my opinion" or something. Point is, you're making a complete ass of yourself with all this pointless rage and bluster, and you're pushing the line for a flame warning.

Retirement was broken with the WPF stacking, yes, because chadz wasn't ready for the extreme grinding and strategus payouts some people would do to keep retiring. He probably should have been, but it still fixed things for a while, and the situation before was just as bad as at the end of the first retirement patch. Fact is, it's a Sisyphean task to build a system that players can't abuse somehow, but at least he's trying.
Don't.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:47 am »
Fact is, it's a Sisyphean task to build a system that players can't abuse somehow, but at least he's trying.

Playing a game you like alot for a long period of time and progessing in that game isn't abusing or grinding it's called enjoyment.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:23:07 am by Felagunda »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2011, 05:25:16 am »
Oh, sure, it takes all kinds. I'm sure retiring 30 times to get just that little extra edge over the other players is somebody's idea of fun. But the fact is, everybody can't like everything together, and chadz is the one who decides what goes in the end. Anybody else claiming to know what cRPG is really about or insisting they represent the voice of the whole community is just talking out of his or her ass.
Don't.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:46 am »
Anybody else claiming to know what cRPG is really about or insisting they represent the voice of the whole community is just talking out of his or her ass.

What are you talking about?

Offline Topsnus

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 01, 2011, 05:28:43 am »

edit: just to be clear, i knew wpf inheriting would get out of hands sooner or later. I did it because I thought heirlooms alone wouldn't be enough incentive to retire. I wanted people to retire to lessen the tincans and even the playing field.

Which would have worked, except that chadz underestimated the players of cRPG. They will go through generations so quickly that you will never see them at lower levels.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 01, 2011, 05:28:58 am »
What are you talking about?

I take it you haven't read much of this thread. Or your own posts, at that. :P
Don't.