Author Topic: Change Missile speed back to it's former value  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
Re: Change Missile speed back to it's former value
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »
Reasonable projectile speed is the only thing that keeps us away from a game in which dodging is completely useless, unlike now, being only borderline useless.

Ranged units are supposed to fire in a way that maximises their chances of hitting an enemy, because even though they hurt a lot, the main problem with real bows was the accuracy. Shooting in groups of enemies is what archery is meant to be about. not headshotting isolated targets at will. This is not a legolas sim.

Best longbowmen could target a coin in 60 meters. Of course by best in cRPG I mean 27 agi with 9 wm or so, but 7 wm should be enough to hit an apple in 20-30 meters.
Keep archery accuracy as it is now. And missile speed, don't force people to readjust/relearn how they play.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:40 pm »
+1
Best longbowmen could target a coin in 60 meters. Of course by best in cRPG I mean 27 agi with 9 wm or so, but 7 wm should be enough to hit an apple in 20-30 meters.
Keep archery accuracy as it is now. And missile speed, don't force people to readjust/relearn how they play.

Not all the 50 archers on the battle server will be "the best" of their time, especially when half of them will be dead at the end.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »
What are "realistic" missile velocities for example for the longbow in your opinion? If I remember correctly it's 60-70m/s(at 6-10 PD) ingame at the moment.

Ask this fella about ''realistic'' air friction. Let's laugh a little.

Anyway it's last breath's time of this mode.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »
What do you want to know about realistic air friction?

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »
What do you want to know about realistic air friction?

Why does it make high power draw useless?

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
Why does it make high power draw useless?

Air opposes a stronger resistance to objects travelling at greater speeds, slowing them down faster than objects travelling at lower speeds.

That's also why travelling the same distance in car will consume more gaz if you go faster.

Finally, it doesn't make high PD useless.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
Air opposes a stronger resistance to objects travelling at greater speeds, slowing them down faster than objects travelling at lower speeds.

That's also why travelling the same distance in car will consume more gaz if you go faster.

Finally, it doesn't make high PD useless.

Since things may have changed in the latest patch (and we don't get patch notes) I may be a little bit off but air friction is the reason why anything above PD6 was generally considered useless.  PD above that just didn't add very much damage due to the effects of air friction at longer ranges.  This was the conclusion of some testing done by Shik.  Since Shik was involved in the latest patch it is possible that this has been addressed, but it hasn't felt too significant to me testing different builds.  Even the PD13 build seemed to be more about accuracy than actual damage dealing. 

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 11:27:30 pm »
+1
missile speeds are fine, as long as the projectile hits the target.  I experienced a bit, but specced out of archer before really fighting the issue too hard.  It looks like the projectile is hitting the target on the screen, but a hit doesn't register - like playing GunZ: The Duel or something, haha. 

I don't know though, every new patch, something feels different, but it might just be placebo.  That's what I kept telling myself anyway.  I heard reports of people getting headshots when they hit the body, body shots when they hit the head, and mostly instances where the projectile just phased through.  It'd be an interesting and noble project for somebody to catch it on fraps though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 12:15:09 am »
Why would you want to make ranged even easier? This is not supposed to be a bog standard FPS game..If this game was released without its decent melee it would have died a death shortly after release

From the moment you can collect a lot more kills as a melee fighter or cav(has been the case for a very long time), you know archery is way too hard. That is, if you're not a biased melee elitist.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 12:29:21 am »
BUFF ARCHERY!!! AN CAV!!! MELEE IS OP!!!
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 12:33:55 am »
+1
BUFF ARCHERY!!! AN CAV!!! MELEE IS OP!!!

Yes I know you would like to have archery removed from the game but others disagree.  Missile speed was already much slower than Native, makes little sense to have it lowered in the latest patch especially since it broke some things and arrows don't connect properly by either ghosting through players or hitting then head when they should have hit the body. 

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 12:57:49 am »
From the moment you can collect a lot more kills as a melee fighter or cav(has been the case for a very long time), you know archery is way too hard. That is, if you're not a biased melee elitist.

Your fail logic and (voluntary) ignorance of everything that actually matters way more than the number of kills one gets to decide the outcome of a battle baffles me. Besides, archers do get a lot of kills, they just don't score much.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 05:01:56 am »
Your fail logic and (voluntary) ignorance of everything that actually matters way more than the number of kills one gets to decide the outcome of a battle baffles me. Besides, archers do get a lot of kills, they just don't score much.

Talk to me again about voluntary ignorance. Next you'll be saying that bows do the same damage in a battle as swords or lances.

The validity of archers in battle rellies a lot on teamplay, which is what actually matters, and you rarely see that. From the moment an archer has to relly on himself against any other class, he's usualy screwed.
Slower arrows are unfair, since our short range performance is crap, and getting crappier.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:57 am »
+1
Old damage dealt stats, blasted range was even more OP then then it is now  :rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 05:43:45 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

10% of damage is too damn high! *shakes fist in rage*
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.