Author Topic: Change Missile speed back to it's former value  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
Change Missile speed back to it's former value
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
+4
Since the last patch, Archery just feels weird. I dont know if any game-mechanics were tweaked with, or if just stats were changed on certain items. But I'm using the Rus bow, and it got its missile speed value reduced. Ofc this will affect your aim, and it will  take time to re-adjust your aim to cope with the changes, but in addition it feels very buggy ever since, plainly speaking. Arrows flies straight through people not moving, it's happened at least 4 times that I shoot someone in the Belly/Arms/legs and it registers as a headshot. I didnt experience these problems before the patch at all.

Also, I seriously think that the missile speed should be raised to it's former value. Even if the bugs dont have anything to do with it, it's just meeh to have trained accuracy, and now having to start over with it, the change was really almost that big. I highly doubt that it will affect results on servers, it will only re-add the fun in shooting. Atm, it feels as if you're shooting buggy logs.

Thank you if you read :)

Edit: I mean the speed the missiles had before THIS recent patch. not referring to the native speed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:28:05 pm by Pejlaen »
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Change Missile speed back to it's former value
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:14 pm »
+1
What about making missile speed str/PD dependant? That would actually make sense and encourage more archers to stack str in favour of agility (given that that no wpf reduction for 13 pd archers is already fixed ofc).
I'm pretty sure it can be done since we already got the same thing for rageball just with a ball instead of projectiles.

Other than that it would also make sense if archers got a little extra speed for their arrows just as a compensation for the recent nerf.

Offline Aku_Ankka

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aku_Ankka, Minni_Hiiri, Roope_Ankka, Hessu_Hopo
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
What about making missile speed str/PD dependant? That would actually make sense and encourage more archers to stack str in favour of agility (given that that no wpf reduction for 13 pd archers is already fixed ofc).
I'm pretty sure it can be done since we already got the same thing for rageball just with a ball instead of projectiles.

Other than that it would also make sense if archers got a little extra speed for their arrows just as a compensation for the recent nerf.
As far as I'm concerned, PD already increases missile speed.

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
+4
since begining i say ghost arrows effect is caused by decreasing missile speed !!
that mean lot of arrows passing through bodies !!!
it's fucking boring !!!

imo best way to balance archers is :
decrease body dmg ( maybe -30 or -20 %)
keep head shot dmg
change missile speed like in old times
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GanForr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DenBitre
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_JeorHungryElk; Belfagor; WilliamBlackHawk
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:33:04 pm »
Ofc this will affect your aim, and it will  take time to re-adjust your aim to cope with the changes, but in addition it feels very buggy ever since, plainly speaking. Arrows flies straight through people not moving, it's happened at least 4 times that I shoot someone in the Belly/Arms/legs and it registers as a headshot.

So you are telling me that the headshots I'm getting in these are normal bodyshot? I'm awful :cry:

By the way, i didnt notice any change after the patches,and i use an arbalest(but i even don't know if arba statistics changed). Now it seems that i headshoot more easily, but i dont know if it's me or the bug  :mrgreen:.
I love pewpew.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »
+2
I hate it when they reduce missile speed.  It feels like I am slinging wet noodles instead of firing arrows.  I swear my arrows are going through people somtimes after the patch, but perhaps i just suck.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:10 pm »
+3
Reasonable projectile speed is the only thing that keeps us away from a game in which dodging is completely useless, unlike now, being only borderline useless.

Ranged units are supposed to fire in a way that maximises their chances of hitting an enemy, because even though they hurt a lot, the main problem with real bows was the accuracy. Shooting in groups of enemies is what archery is meant to be about. not headshotting isolated targets at will. This is not a legolas sim.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:42:40 am »
Being an archer is what's useless considering the lack of teamplay and the ammount of 2handed heroes comming at you, dodging everything and making your build useless. Archery has almost entirely been removed from the battle servers. There was no whine or threats, the players just realized how shitty their situation was and either changed or GTXed. The desired effect by many such as Kafein.

Now that dodging is easier and none will couver your ass, where do we stand?

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:26:41 am »
Reasonable projectile speed is the only thing that keeps us away from a game in which dodging is completely useless, unlike now, being only borderline useless.

Ranged units are supposed to fire in a way that maximises their chances of hitting an enemy, because even though they hurt a lot, the main problem with real bows was the accuracy. Shooting in groups of enemies is what archery is meant to be about. not headshotting isolated targets at will. This is not a legolas sim.

Why can't we have Legolas equivilent heroes?  We have loads of two hand heroes that run around cutting down entire armies.  Or we have cav that are even worse.   Dodging is extremely effective as is, because it's like dodging beach ball speed projectiles.  Archer duels are laughable affairs where no one gets hit EVER until they take a risk going for a kill shot.  Two archers can dodge each other indefinately if they focus on defense, even at relatively close range.   As is, only extremely pro archers can ever hope to get valor or top the kill board.   I'm tired of slinging noodles, I would rather have the crosshairs expand more to decrease accuracy but have the missiles actually travel realistically. 

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 08:25:59 am »
What are "realistic" missile velocities for example for the longbow in your opinion? If I remember correctly it's 60-70m/s(at 6-10 PD) ingame at the moment.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:16 am »
+1
What are "realistic" missile velocities for example for the longbow in your opinion? If I remember correctly it's 60-70m/s(at 6-10 PD) ingame at the moment.

Different speeds in the game are mutually dependent. For example, characters can turn while sprinting very fast without even slowing down. Yet the sprint itself isn't very fast, it just looks fast because animations make us run like in benny hill. I don't know what are the realistic values for the speed of an arrow released by this or that bow, but I'm quite sure putting them as is is not coherent with other speeds in the game.

Then again, balance over realism. Even though personally I think that out of multiple balanced solutions, we should try to reach the most realistic one.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:31 pm »
Just remove archery from the game  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »
Just remove archery from the game  :lol:

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:43 pm »
+1
It is really frustrating to see your arrows go through people, please revert what you have done to archery mechanics. My accuracy dropped dramatically after the recent patches, I cannot shoot people even in the close ranges just because of this ghost effect. Please let us have our part of the fun in this game again.

Cheers,
BattalGazi

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
+1
Why would you want to make ranged even easier? This is not supposed to be a bog standard FPS game..If this game was released without its decent melee it would have died a death shortly after release
If you have ranged troubles use this: