Author Topic: Spears.... whats the trick?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Rendar1970

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Spears.... whats the trick?
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:12:20 am »
Is there some magic trick to using spears I just dont know?

Its strange how with most 2h swords, if you stab and miss, you can still kinda of "steer" the sword back towards the target and get a hit.

Yet with spears, you can hit someone square in the chest, at the perfect sweetspot distance wise, and just watch the metal tip go in and do nothing.  Its misses.

matter of fact, I seem to get more hits with spear on stabs that should have missed, and rarely get a hit on the ones that hit them dead center.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
Re: Spears.... whats the trick?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:55 am »
Spears hitbox is very slightly off, it gets very serious with any kind of lag. I think spears actually stab a tiny bit up and to the left of where the speartip says they should and so this leads to your entire spear impaling someone but the server thinking you missed them completely.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frederick_Von_Spamberge, and >9000 alts.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:29:50 am »
You have to learn to spin-stab.  Its kinda hard to explain without visual aid.

Basically you start the stab aiming to the right and down from your target, then as the animation nears its end you turn into your target for the hit.  This allows the full animation to go off and the spear to do full damage, so that you don't bounce/glance.

If anyone has a video demonstrating this please post it.

You could also follow people like Noobie_ATS or WaltF4 in spectator mode on the NA servers, they are masters of spears/awlpikes.

EDIT: Yes, hitboxes are a little off as well, but the spin stab almost assures a hit.  You can also spin-stab with high athletics and a little footwork to hit shielders in the back/side.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:31:40 am by Keltesh »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:57:55 am »
Oh man, spears.
The hitbox is slightly off of where the spear is. Also, the hitbox is only the tip of your weapon.

I just don't play on servers with pokey poke spears when there are more than 60 players or 90 ping. Too frustrating.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:59:10 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:02:48 am »
spin and go!

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
spin and go!

It is exactly as he says lol
if you plan on using poke weapons learn the lolstab technique, it catches everyone off guard usually at some point & is the only effective way to use a spear at close range as far as I know.

watch some good pokers do there thing you'll catch the trick of it, if you're not using a shield and attempting to be a grand poke master, I wish you good luck and hope that you have above average blocking skills because pokers aren't exactly the most viable class for 1v1 and at some point you're probably going to find yourself without a team backing you.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »
Do keep in mind that even though you'd practice a lot, the sweetspots will still screw you over every now and then (spear+shield).