Author Topic: NA Siege is Dying  (Read 11157 times)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: NA Siege is Dying
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »
It doesn't matter if you aren't always a strength build, when I think of you (and I would say that most people would agree), I think strength build pikeman in plate armor or plated charger bump cav in plate.

Also, I have seen para playing lately, but prior to retiring at level 33, wasn't he a str shielder in full plate with a plate shield and a crossbow?

So can I say that Goretooth armor crutches more than anyone else in the game because when I think of him I think of his +3 Black Armor set and +3 Bec de Corbin? Like you said, it doesn't matter if he doesn't do it anymore, right?

Also, yes, Para used to be 24/12 (eventually 27/12) shielder with plate and a crossbow. He burned through a lot of money with that build and had to play his Upper_KUTT alt a ton to not lose gold, iirc.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »
Oh yeah forgot about that plated charger shit you guys did with dedicated 11 riding character. Horsebump abuse, more real thrilling gameplay brought to siege server by KUTT.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »
+3
Oh yeah forgot about that plated charger shit you guys did with dedicated 11 riding character. Horsebump abuse, more real thrilling gameplay brought to siege server by KUTT.

So now you're bitching about us when we use agility builds, too, huh?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
So can I say that Goretooth armor crutches more than anyone else in the game because when I think of him I think of his +3 Black Armor set and +3 Bec de Corbin? Like you said, it doesn't matter if he doesn't do it anymore, right?

Also, yes, Para used to be 24/12 (eventually 27/12) shielder with plate and a crossbow. He burned through a lot of money with that build and had to play his Upper_KUTT alt a ton to not lose gold, iirc.

Yea when I think of goretooth, I think of him as a 10 ps +3 old black armor with a bec. I would find it hard to believe that most people would think of anything different. And I am aware that he was 21/21 as a two hander, although I do believe he is back to str build bec now...

Same thing could be said about ATS being thought of as a hoplite clan, or chaos all being crossbows.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »
+1
I propose that all NA clans that play siege take a week or two and "use faction's banner" or something so that it scrambles things up (my clan included) - would help inspire randoms to stay on longer I bet....get the population going again.

Thoughts?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »
+4
Played siege for a little bit yesterday. There was a map with a set of doors with so much HP that it took the attackers 5 minutes to break it down, only to find there was another set of doors behind that one. Talk about compelling gameplay, huh?

If we could set our own ladders in siege like the old days, that map would not have been a problem. Taking away our ladders really hurt siege more than anything else. Ladders were only ever a problem to EU players anyway.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »
+2
Played siege for a little bit yesterday. There was a map with a set of doors with so much HP that it took the attackers 5 minutes to break it down, only to find there was another set of doors behind that one. Talk about compelling gameplay, huh?

If we could set our own ladders in siege like the old days, that map would not have been a problem. Taking away our ladders really hurt siege more than anything else. Ladders were only ever a problem to EU players anyway.

THIS SUMS UP THE MAIN PROBLEM!!

Maps are shit especailly without ladders to get inside.  Its a fricking siege and instead its run like a deathmatch with doors.  The EU's only complained about archers camping unreachable roofs in battle server and they removed it because of the whining (even though now the hitboxes on arrows are broken since last patch and there already its a kickable/bannable offense to not drop from roof if last ones left alive), but why get rid of ladders on siege where that was a not a problem and probably hurt their team by stopping them from getting back to the flag.

Siege was actually a strong mode with solid gameplay before and all sorts of clans would play there and keep it populated.  Once they removed ladders which could be strategically placed to circumvent extremely narrow doorways/nearly unbreeakable doors or other highly predictable routes - it made the game heavily unbalanced in favor of defenders and teams with little skill but very high armor/strength/ironflesh.  Since most of EU does balanced builds/ranged the developers probably haven't noticed how weak the gameplay is in NA where people actually enjoy meleeing.

I remember some of the best fun I have had was on the siege rather than battle server where one person did a perfect ladder and we charged along the walls and it was a tough but close fight as we fought tooth and nail to get the flag that was so far from attacker's spawn.  In contrast siege is more composed of hammering away at a door for 3 minutes, then the next door for 3 minutes and then using a heavy steel pick and hitting some guy 6-7 times before he dies because he is super pro pure strength build in 3x loomed near plate while he can't block for shit you still can't get to the flag past the narrow and only real entrypoint because he took too long to die.

P.S.  Also, for the love of god can just 1 developer/admin just take 1 day out of their lives and add the non-native/village maps for NA battle and siege????  There are hundreds of great maps out there and used to be all over the servers in NA but now all we have is single-player highly unbalanced boring maps.  Its pure laziness that its been a year now and they have not been added back in after we switched who provided the servers.  NA is a significant part of this community and its really annoying to be completely ignored.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:11:27 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 06:04:51 pm »
+2
If siege dies just give us freakin TDM thats all 70% of siege players want anyhow.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:45 pm »
It doesn't matter if you aren't always a strength build, when I think of you (and I would say that most people would agree), I think strength build pikeman in plate armor or plated charger bump cav in plate.

Also, I have seen para playing lately, but prior to retiring at level 33, wasn't he a str shielder in full plate with a plate shield and a crossbow?

Everything you just said is part of what's wrong with this community.  To those of us that actually retire and do different shit, people remember us for whatever their least favorite thing was.  I got accused of str piking when I would go 18/21(probably the pike build I did the most) because pike makes you move glacially slow and almost all of my hits were headshots.  The plate part is laughable, I've sooooo rarely had our loomed plate in my possession and when I did use it with my pike, it was so slow that I couldn't meaningfully support people half the time.

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »
Kesh just said defending is easy.  I think anyone who has played siege in recent memory knows how horribly misinformed he is.  The annoying thing is that I don't even like siege the way that it is, it's just that much of the criticism of it is mindless, blatantly incorrect bullshit. 

edit:I think part of this "defending is easy" perception stems from the fact that when defense wins big, it's one of the most brutally demoralizing things in C-rpg.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »
edit:I think part of this "defending is easy" perception stems from the fact that when defense wins big, it's one of the most brutally demoralizing things in C-rpg.

Really??!?? Lol, the most brutally demoralizing thing in crpg is to lose as attackers on siege??  Wow, your world is small, come to battle server some time where the skilled big boys play.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »
I hardly ever play siege, but I have played plenty since they removed ladders.  And the biggest problem I always had, was that on every map the defender or attacker side had a huge advantage.   At least on the battle maps, both sides were relatively even as far as terrain and geography goes on the map.  There's not usually a major advantage for one side or the other.  So it felt like it was always easier to roll a multiplayer in battle than siege.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
+5
Really??!?? Lol, the most brutally demoralizing thing in crpg is to lose as attackers on siege??  Wow, your world is small, come to battle server some time where the skilled big boys play.
Nothing quite as fun as getting repeatedly bumped, kited, couched, or piked. Also nothing as fun as each team holding out on its respective hill, neither side attacking for over a minute. Honestly the only reason I play battle half the time is because siege is empty.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 06:16:33 pm »
+4
Part of the problem is due to population variances.

When numbers are high, defense can be "easier"
When numbers are low, attack can be "easier"

This is due to the fact that with low numbers, the defense spawn timers are just too much - once too many people die, not enough spawn back in before attack takes the flag area by force.

With high numbers, attack can be a little harder because it is harder to get defense "on timers" so to speak.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »
+2
Nothing quite as fun as getting repeatedly bumped, kited, couched, or piked. Also nothing as fun as each team holding out on its respective hill, neither side attacking for over a minute. Honestly the only reason I play battle half the time is because siege is empty.

Can we all just agree to petition endlessly for TDM?!?!?   :mrgreen: