Author Topic: upkeep unnecessary  (Read 3015 times)

Offline drivec

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
upkeep unnecessary
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:08:33 am »
i really think upkeep is unnecessary and is more of a burden for players then anything. why would u add something to make things harder for people.

upkeep adds unbalance to builds because some builds require more upkeep then others. builds should not be balance by what u can buy and support but should be by stats and skills.

it would be much more fairer(and funner) if we all just got less money and didnt have to worry about upkeep and not being able to use our items again for while.

no one wants to lvl to max lvl just to not be able to use full gear all the time thats not fun and means u are always grinding even at max lvl.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
Re: upkeep unnecessary
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:44:38 am »
+1
What would you suggest to keep the arms race from peaking 2 weeks into the patch though? There were so many people in plate with huge weapons that it looked more like a fantasy game than anything, with all the other top tier equipment flooding the game. Give the crew some time to fine tune the system, and enjoy the fact that, just like in history, people have to plan their gear out, instead of all top tier, all the time.

Offline drivec

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:26:06 am »
because builds that require heavy armor to survive cost more upkeep then builds that run with lighter armor.

certain builds will be able to wear full top tier all the time and builds requiring heavy armor to survive wont. which is unbalanced and unfun. i dont see why ppl complain about top tier armor when everyone has access to it.

there are tons of better ways to limit those high tiers stuff like weight then adding a cost to using items u bought.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:28:17 am by drivec »

Offline Waylit

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: chinaserf1
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:05 am »
What would you suggest to keep the arms race from peaking 2 weeks into the patch though? There were so many people in plate with huge weapons that it looked more like a fantasy game than anything, with all the other top tier equipment flooding the game. Give the crew some time to fine tune the system, and enjoy the fact that, just like in history, people have to plan their gear out, instead of all top tier, all the time.

So as it stands now:  Some people have a harder (or more random) time using/attaining high level armors due to the fact that not everybody causes a Win, some just ride the waves of fate.  Some people (those with no life, who you see on cRPG 12 hours a day) have no problem with upkeep!  Well, at least until their million gold runs out.  So now those people are the only people consistently running around in the best armor.

I'd MUCH RATHER have the "level playing field" be at higher level armor and weapons that everybody has, like it was before the patch.  At least that way, it's my black armor vs theirs.  Not my light chain vs their Milanese every single time.

Also:  I've never considered cRPG a "realistic" game.  That shouldn't suddenly be a justification for upkeep.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:07:09 am by Waylit »

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:12:21 am »
+1
Weight nerf have been already done, but one more time it impact more heavier armor, it's the same...
Upkeep is good cos it force to wear lighter armor but also cheaper weapon(so less damage) and with archer cut nerf you don't need to wear uber armor to be protected.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
I like a lot the new patch and the upkeep system but we could maybe just lower  a bit the fees to repair items cuz 20% of the item's value is really high.  :)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:44:07 am »
+1
You are wrong, armour upkeep is necessary. Since the patch has been out, I have seen one tincan and one Horse Archer. This keeps it fair, so people can't just run into the front lines and kill everything whilst wearing plate. Sure, the upkeep is too expensive at the moment.

I don't believe weapon upkeep is necessary though, as there is no 'tier' weapons; It comes down to preference. Even still, the bastard sword is similar to the katana in stats and costs 330 gold, where the katana costs around 9.8k. The katana costs alot more to repair due to the price difference. This is all written in my opinion.

Cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:00 am »
You are wrong, armour upkeep is necessary. Since the patch has been out, I have seen one tincan and one Horse Archer. This keeps it fair, so people can't just run into the front lines and kill everything whilst wearing plate. Sure, the upkeep is too expensive at the moment.

I don't believe weapon upkeep is necessary though, as there is no 'tier' weapons; It comes down to preference. Even still, the bastard sword is similar to the katana in stats and costs 330 gold, where the katana costs around 9.8k. The katana costs alot more to repair due to the price difference. This is all written in my opinion.

Cheers.

You pay the japanese anime style.

I personnaly believe there's something wrong with the idea of an upkeep system in a game of "progress". It's clearly easier to force players to wear lighter equipment that way, but the "equipment farming" factor becomes void in cRPG. You simply play like in Native, or maybe even worse because you can loose your equipment for the next round.

But why not simply balance the stats better, if you aim to decrease the plate population ? Add armor value to lighter armors, decrease armor values of plates. The game is already giving nearly similar advantages for a light armor and a heavy armor. Speed and protection balance. A skillful player may like speed over protection more than a less skilled one, and choose a lighter equipment (MANY skilled players already do that). Many players say they play better when they do not wear top tier armors.

The ONLY reason why a skilled player would use a plate armor, was sniper-longbows-of-I-kill-you-and-your-grandmother-in-one-hit. And thanks chadz those vanished. Now, the level cap already prevents people from being sick fast and using plate armor. There's no equipment imbalance anymore, even without upkeep.

About diversity, IMO the upkeep won't lead to diversity. People will choose the best armor/price ratios. And as everyone will be authorised to upkeep 20k or 30k... Everyone in a class will soon be using the 2, maybe 3 same armors, except clans with uniforms, because everyone can support the SAME amount !!! Yes everyone will be able to upkeep the same amount of equipment value. Even with extreme gear, you can't hope of really influencing the round outcome. And even if you succeed to increase your chance of winning a round to 60%, which is a big influence, it's not economical on the long run because you have to pay for your supposedly better equipment when you fail.

So yes, upkeep is fail IMO.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:30:21 am »
+1
Shameless bump, with a little addition :

There's no real problem with upkeep, simply an idea of gaming that changes.

Now, you can buy anything you want in a flash (just leech naked and you make tons of money compared to what you could get pre 0.2).
But you have to pay the upkeep. So there's a total value limit for your equipment. There will be NO point in having equipment worth less or more. What's the fucking USE of wearing a bigger armor once or twice ??? You won't gain more gold if you wear a better equipment.

The only thing that differenciates a character and another is now it's level.

The upkeep system has divided the "RPG" factor in cRPG by two : gold isn't here to make you have better equipment over time, it's just to prevent any form of progression.

So I suggest a namechange to "Native Expanded" since "cRPG" has nearly no sense anymore.

Yes, I enjoy playing to see my character grow in power. I'm human, I'm not Chinese, I simply fucking enjoy playing a game where the experience CHANGES. As I said, if you think tincans are a problem, nerf them. You don't need to overhaul the gameplay mechanics.

Offline whitepaladin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • holy king of the order
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Griffin
  • Game nicks: King brandis,Paladin Brandis
  • IRC nick: Brandis
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:25 pm »
the best idea is to make srevers for low tier mid tier high tier and end game players .low tier=max gold 7500 max level 10. mid tier=max gold 15000 max level 17.high tier=max gold 30000 max level 28.end game is infinite resource.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:27 am »
Upkeep was implemented for a reason, because back when there was no upkeep, everyone was running around in full plate with huscarl and elite scimitar with a pocket pike and a pocket flamberge on a plated charger.

I'm still not sure why people complain about upkeep.

I tried a full gen in Gothic plate with Bevor, Armet, Cased Greaves, Hourglass gauntlets and a lonsword and at the end I still gained 40k in total.

the best idea is to make srevers for low tier mid tier high tier and end game players .low tier=max gold 7500 max level 10. mid tier=max gold 15000 max level 17.high tier=max gold 30000 max level 28.end game is infinite resource.

No, that's a shitty idea, let's not split the already small community, and I don't want to be forced to fight everyone in plate on plated chargers.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:28:06 am »
As much as I hate paying repair on my arrows/horse, it actually balances in some way as one will almost never see endless rounds of only the best equipment.

Which surprisingly makes the game slightly more varied and in my view fun.  :P

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:05:44 am »
+2
Upkeep is such a non-issue in this mod. If you're having money troubles you are either riding an armored horse every round or you are doing something TERRIBLY wrong.

If anything, upkeep is too low.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:06:39 am »
wtfnecro?  :shock:

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 07:43:24 am »
+2
Grind grind grind.....

Loom everything u need...

Grind grind grind...

Sell heirloom points...

= Profit you now have a fully loomed tin can plowing trough the battlefield in god like armor with top tier weapon trough the masses of regular players.....

Nothing has changed beside the time invested in being able to run around in super armor with top tier weapon. Upkeep just limits the amount of tin cans in god like armor  :?

Dunno what´s worse the old days where everyone rode around having fun in their top tier gear with no limits on how they dress up thx to not haveing to pay upkeep... or as it is now catering the no lifers.. so only few can do it  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.