Author Topic: Still no fix for close-range 1H thrust bounces?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Still no fix for close-range 1H thrust bounces?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »
If you don't attack when outnumbered, you're toast, no matter your equipment setup.

Shields have the advantage of blocking multiple directions. But they have the disadvantage of forcing you to use weapons that have a much smaller reach, much weaker damage, good speed except for the fact that the terrible animations don't allow you to skip the whole animation like with polearms and 2h, effectively making 1h slower to hit and very hard to use when your enemies sidestep a lot.

5 ps, 150 wpf and a non-loomed knobbed mace (24b) or elite scimitar (31c) and I bounce once in a blue moon. Do your positioning and use short holds and you shouldn't have any problem. Also, I don't have problem stabbing with the medium/high damaging one-handers. I usually don't stab a lot with 1Hs with less than 22-23 pierce damage, because I don't expect any useable damage output anyway.

Holding works, but hinders your duel abilities a lot, make you predictable and very weak to spam. Besides, if you can't down most people with 2 or 3 swings tops, 1 vs many is going to be extremely difficult.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »
Holding works, but hinders your duel abilities a lot, make you predictable and very weak to spam.

Do your positioning and use short holds and you shouldn't have any problem.

Short holds is the name of the game. Often enough for the enemy to take down their block, not slow enough to let them spam you, at least not with left swing, stabs or overheads. I'm more careful with holding the slower right swing, but I mostly use it for the range game anyway.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »
+1
well , i enjoy fighting with a 1 hander alot. it takes some learning and adjusting. + 1 handed blunts are pretty op. like stated before if you dont know what youre doing you will glance alot on stabs.. but that dousnt mean they cant be utilized effectivly it just means you are used to old mechanics... also what gurni said, i see alot of 1 handers feight attacks... instead of holdand wiggle... hold wiggle attacks is the way to go . note that down :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
5 ps, 150 wpf and a non-loomed knobbed mace (24b) or elite scimitar (31c) and I bounce once in a blue moon. Do your positioning and use short holds and you shouldn't have any problem. Also, I don't have problem stabbing with the medium/high damaging one-handers. I usually don't stab a lot with 1Hs with less than 22-23 pierce damage, because I don't expect any useable damage output anyway.
That there is also part of the problem. Many 1handers have stab damage that are worse than most 2handed swords. I just counted and there are exactly 5 1handed swords over 5k that has 25 or more stab damage, 2 of them being short swords.

The average 1h stab is around 24/25 damage, the same stab damage of greatswords.

Can you really say that's balanced?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
Short holds is the name of the game. Often enough for the enemy to take down their block, not slow enough to let them spam you, at least not with left swing, stabs or overheads. I'm more careful with holding the slower right swing, but I mostly use it for the range game anyway.

Against true spam such as hiltslashing, even holding during the shortest possible time isn't going to work. Then again, not much "works" against hiltslashing except blocking twice or more.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 03:50:02 pm »
Short Sword, 26c slash, 26p thrust. 6 PS, 100 wpf. I never glanced on any hit ever(Unless I fought Para_Kutt in his full milanese on a wall and couldn't move enough into the hit). Did have 6 ath and abused the hell out of speed bonus for hits on tin cans however.

Stop whining about the stabs and overhead needing fixes. The attack isn't the problem, your lack of footwork is. Move into your hits, don't stab at point blank, aim for the head, aim for the feet, turn some more. Etc.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 04:17:09 pm »
Short Sword, 26c slash, 26p thrust. 6 PS, 100 wpf. I never glanced on any hit ever(Unless I fought Para_Kutt in his full milanese on a wall and couldn't move enough into the hit). Did have 6 ath and abused the hell out of speed bonus for hits on tin cans however.

Stop whining about the stabs and overhead needing fixes. The attack isn't the problem, your lack of footwork is. Move into your hits, don't stab at point blank, aim for the head, aim for the feet, turn some more. Etc.

The short sword is, well, short. Hitting with the tip of the weapon gives a significant damage increase for 1h, or at least that's how it feels like. Also, I guess you are not using a lot of armor.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »
+3
Stop blaberring on how your uber good and with only 5 ps you dont glance and how you know everything about every class. This is not the point!!

how is it fair that, like you say, if you do this or that you can get your 1h stab in and when a 2h fucks up his stab he can just slide it in?? One doesnt accept mistakes, one is too forgiving!!

Good for you but it's still unfair how the 2h stab is superior to 1h. you cant deny no matter how uber pro you are. stop being douches

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:50:17 pm by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:49 pm »
+6

Fighting somebody with 7-8 ath who is constantly moving backwards and strafing makes is nearly impossible to land a solid stab.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »
+3
This topic isn't whether 1h/shield players can or can't get valor, or whether a 1h will glance on sideswings, it's a debate on why 1h thrust has to suck. And here, 'suck' is in the context of comparison to the 2h thrust. If 2h can deliver lightning-fast stabs for full damage from 0m to 2m, why shouldn't 1h be able to land a thrust on someone two feet away without it bouncing?

I made a 2h STF char with a longsword, and only did thrusts. I was unable to find a situation where the thrust wasn't the ideal attack. Fighting cavalry, other 2h, facehugging shielders; it was easy to land full-damage thrusts in every situation. Meanwhile, with my loomed Knightly Arming Sword on my main, every thrust is a gamble. Between the confusing hitbox, large delay, and tiny sweet spot, it's just not worth the risk.

Which is a shame, since there are some great thrusting 1h weapons that are rendered nearly useless by these limitations (+3 long espada may be the most worthless +3 item on the marketplace).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:31:07 pm by Phew »

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »
Which is a shame, since there are some great thrusting 1h weapons that are rendered nearly useless by these limitations (+3 long espada may be the most worthless +3 item on the marketplace).
Sadly, I own one of these swords, and I'm lucky to pull of a chain of stabs before I die to a glance.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:51:10 pm by Froto_the_Loc »
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »
This topic isn't whether 1h/shield players can or can't get valor, or whether a 1h will glance on sideswings, it's a debate on why 1h thrust has to suck. And here, 'suck' is in the context of comparison to the 2h thrust. If 2h can deliver lightning-fast stabs for full damage from 0m to 2m, why shouldn't 1h be able to land a thrust on someone two feet away without it bouncing?

I made a 2h STF char with a longsword, and only did thrusts. I was unable to find a situation where the thrust wasn't the ideal attack. Fighting cavalry, other 2h, facehugging shielders; it was easy to land full-damage thrusts in every situation. Meanwhile, with my loomed Knightly Arming Sword on my main, every thrust is a gamble. Between the confusing hitbox, large delay, and tiny sweet spot, it's just not worth the risk.

Posted this on page 1. Sad to see it was ignored.
(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
+2
Posted this on page 1. Sad to see it was ignored.
(click to show/hide)

It wasn't ignored, I was agreeing with you. There should be no circumstance whereby a 37 length weapon is too close to stab with, but not too close for a 120+ length weapon to stab with. Yet if you asked me "an enemy is leghumping you, and you have to stab him. What is your weapon of choice?", I would say German Greatsword. My answer would be the same if the enemy was 2m away. There's something wrong with that.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:25 pm »
+1
Stop blaberring on how your uber good and with only 5 ps you dont glance and how you know everything about every class. This is not the point!!

how is it fair that, like you say, if you do this or that you can get your 1h stab in and when a 2h fucks up his stab he can just slide it in?? One doesnt accept mistakes, one is too forgiving!!

Good for you but it's still unfair how the 2h stab is superior to 1h. you cant deny no matter how uber pro you are. stop being douches
This. Stop showing off your e-penises , the 1h stab needs some love, period.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
+2
a pike is more deadly at close range than a 1h,  ha!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login