Author Topic: Feint Help  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Feint Help
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:17 am »
+2
If somebody who can block well is willing to focus on you completely, then you are probably in for a long fight.

With an HBS or longsword you can do a thrust-right-thrust pattern that will throw off people not used to it. Most players accustomed to native duel won't be fooled. With a fast 1h you can quickly alternate between overheads and left swings, which will throw some people off. All classes become a bit harder to read if you spin your character model to obscure your chamber animation.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:15 am »
my new mouse doesnt allow feinting.  8-) but it's usefull though, with a good mouse with smooth clicking buttons.
hold the held attacks btw.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:57:43 am by Joseph_Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:31 am »
+1
my new mouse doesnt allow feinting.  8-) but it's usefull though, with a good mouse with smooth clicking buttons.
hold the held attacks btw.

Hmm... Used to play with Ctrl as attack button, and Left Shift as block button for over a year - made perfect feint-chains. Pretty sure i could do feints using my G25 pedals as attack/block.

On the topic - do 2-3 "normal" attacks, as in strike-block-strike-block, make a feint afterwards - it will usually go through. Same goes for holding attack, since it is about breaking the fighting "rhythm" :( I would use holding against shield users, and feints against 2h.
Feints look much more impressive though, if you are holding a poleaxe or a greatsword - peasants shit their pants when they see you swing so quickly :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:16 pm »
+1
I have noticed that surprisingly many people fall for the old overhead feint nowadays :D. At some point you could never land that hit because everyone knew it was coming. Now less and less people even do overheads (because of the turnspeed) so you can easily learn that trick and do some good damage. It's just overhead attack, feint and another overhead attack (maybe hold the last one if the opponent tap- blocks. You will land that hit with that small delay and boy does it hurt!)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »
Feinting is more of a tool in
(click to show/hide)

cRPG is pretty slow, and as others have said feinting is more likely to get you hit than to aid. It's conditionally useful against people, depending on how they play.
its crazy how crpg melee is bad compared to this

holy

shit

its like 2 completely different game, native takes too much player skill and is dead, crpg caters to derpies and is alive, yay

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:56 pm »
its crazy how crpg melee is bad compared to this

holy

shit

its like 2 completely different game, native takes too much player skill and is dead, crpg caters to derpies and is alive, yay

catering to casuals pays off, just look at World of Warcraft

btw pandas implemented in next patch

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »
+1
Feinting still works pretty well. Your goal isn't to simply hit them, but also induce hesitation on their blocks and attack decisions.

Feints, holds, wiggling, and stepping out of your opponent's sweetspots can all be used in conjunction. 1h can really only effectively switch between overhead and left swing. With 2, i see a lot of strafing towards the edge of their sweetspot. I find that feints after interrupting an attack works best on overheads. Make sure you find timings that you like and stick to them. Feinting randomly is pretty ineffective, too.

Overall, I feel that being able to stay in your sweetspot range and messing up opponent timing is all you really need to do. Feints/holds are just a means to that end. I barely even notice when I feint when I fight, because I am trying to pay attention to other aspects of the fight.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 04:50:10 pm »
Learn to macro feint.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 05:37:58 pm »
One more for "feinting gets you killed".

I've been playing a lot of DTV lately due to burnout/lack of time/whatever and feinting has become second-nature as a result.  This gets me murdered when I play siege or battle because I'll frequently get hit with spam if I try to feint a player.  There are some feint combinations that work in some situations like mentioned above but you'll usually be better off with a hold and some dancing.

WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »
+3
the difference between native duels and crpg duels is pretty clear :P Most native duelers just abuse feint spam while looking down so you cant see wtf is going on :P also the lol insta stab and x feinting with weapons like the great long axe.  Native caters to skill if skill is abusing the system as much as possible :P  Sure crpg is a bit slow for duels but its fixed a lot of the problems that you have in native duels
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 12:45:59 am »
The good old overhead feint + sideswing still works well enough on a good part of the player base. Also, a nice trick is to feint then hold your actual attack.

the difference between native duels and crpg duels is pretty clear :P Most native duelers just abuse feint spam while looking down so you cant see wtf is going on :P also the lol insta stab and x feinting with weapons like the great long axe.  Native caters to skill if skill is abusing the system as much as possible :P  Sure crpg is a bit slow for duels but its fixed a lot of the problems that you have in native duels

...while at the same time creating others that often prove to be much, much worse. In cRPG we got engine shortcomings such as hiltslashing that basically allows one to spam and get away with it.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 03:05:55 am »
+1
i fail to see how hilt slashing is any worse than point blank lolstab to the face
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »
Some time ago at eu3 I decided to go full abooze with my 39/3 STR build in a matter of 2 days I wen't from place number 89 ( or something ) to number 1. Then I realised that was gay as fuck . So I tryd to fight as nice as possible ( not kickslashing , no hiltslash, no random spam ) and now I lose to evryone! YEAAAHHH

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
+1
This native hate is a scrubby attitude that appears in every single online game. Label any perfectly valid emergent gameplay, ie anything but the most basic first-day mechanics, as an exploit. Refuse to adapt and get destroyed accordingly.

Not saying the combat changes in cRPG is for the worse since it appeals more to the masses. Native is a better proving ground for competitive play. However for me, native melee>cRPG melee becuase I'm so damn hardcore.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:00 pm »
Feinting isn't ineffective in battle, noone expects you to feint in battle since theres so much going around you and it's so fast paced (unless you fight a decent player), I assume thats why I get most of my kills. In terms of dueling, if you are bad at feinting it is a hinderence. However, you get some excellent feinters, if I were you I would spectate some good duelists and then duel them- In my opinion, the only way to learn is getting your ass handed to you many many many times.

Also I agree, Native duelists (Nditions guys) are much greater than cRPG duelists in terms of feinting (which is relevant to the OP- feinting). You see some of the best dueling there, especially since there is no armour crutching and one sword fits all. You should train there, in fact everyone should train there! 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:21:05 pm by tizzango »