Author Topic: Feint Help  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Feint Help
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 12:39:16 am »
i fail to see how hilt slashing is any worse than point blank lolstab to the face

Hiltslashing is basically spam. No skill required whatsoever, and on top of that completely random.

Feints and holds are blockable, do not rely on glitchy collision detection between players, do not rely on your opponent not doing a countermeasure instantly, do not rely on your weapon's reach or damage. Get a hit in because you feinted or holded and it means you simply outplayed your opponent. Get a hit in by hiltslashing and it just means you were lucky he didn't block twice. Besides, mechanics that require someone to block twice in a row are terrible.

Also, a point blank lolstab is much, much slower than the effective speed of an hiltslash.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 12:44:43 am »
Hiltslashing is basically spam. No skill required whatsoever, and on top of that completely random.
Blind hiltslashing is spam. Good players will usually go for a hiltslash, then cancel if they see the counter. Alternatively, they might fake the hiltslash footwork, and then go for a chamber when the predictable counter is executed. The last thing I want is a return of the 'dance-off' style of 1v1 combat that was so prevalent about a year and a half-ago: I feint, you block; you feint, I block.

The only change I really want in terms of double-swinging is an increase in 1h cut damage, so that the risk-reward of going for double swings as a 1h isn't so skewed.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
Also I agree, Native duelists (Nditions guys) are much greater than cRPG duelists in terms of feinting (which is relevant to the OP- feinting). You see some of the best dueling there, especially since there is no armour crutching and one sword fits all. You should train there, in fact everyone should train there!
They are better at feinting because the animations allow it. Native duelling is a piece of shit. It is faster, but the 2h stab is so outrageously omnipotent that it ruins the fun of duelling. It's a fluke based, animation and macro abusing pile of crap.

Duelling is dead. We are all too good at blocking and the combat is too slow. Feinting works excellent in duel and battle though. I could give two or three specific combinations for every class that have decent success.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00:19 am »
lezard i dont hate native :P i go to nditions duel server and IG battle grounds every few days. I just fail to see how its better its different sure. better is debatable.

Its nice to go to native when the eu1 ranged fest gets to you :P there is less ranged on most maps because you can carry a 2h a shield and throwing weapons so archers cant rape you so hard.

the top native duelers are very skilled true but most of the "skills" you see in native duels are people eurofeinting to such extent that they are just trying to abuse a glitch. sure its fine but id much rather be killed by good footwork a well timed chamber or hold or a great feint anyday. imo feint spamming isnt something to be proud of :P

PS im all for speeding up the Duel server speed
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:08:35 am by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:01 am »
Its nice to go to native when the eu1 ranged fest gets to you :P there is less ranged on most maps because you can carry a 2h a shield and throwing weapons so archers cant rape you so hard.
You go to native to escape the ranged fest?

!

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
Yes there is actually less ranged on native battles usually thanon eu1 and 4 often :-D and you can carry 2h shield and throwing so you dont get kited
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »
They are better at feinting because the animations allow it. Native duelling is a piece of shit. It is faster, but the 2h stab is so outrageously omnipotent that it ruins the fun of duelling. It's a fluke based, animation and macro abusing pile of crap.

Duelling is dead. We are all too good at blocking and the combat is too slow. Feinting works excellent in duel and battle though. I could give two or three specific combinations for every class that have decent success.

I understand completely what you mean. However, I believe that if you can block the Native duelists you can block the cRPG duelists. As you've said, the combat speed is notably faster in Native. Whilst I agree that the buggy animations are present, I don't agree that it ruins the fun. For me, it's a challenge and if you die at the end then you can only learn- your eyes are forced to adjust to the speed and therefore reflexes attune accordingly :D. In essence, you are always improving on that server.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
I've found feinting into a hold can sometimes land a hit, since people expect a feint to lead into another quick attack and it can throw off someone's rhythm.
Also as mentioned before the right swing & thrust being combo'd as a 2H can be quite effective.

But yeah if you are too predictable with your feinting you will set yourself to take hits if your opponent tries to chamber your first swing; either they chamber you, or you take a hit while you are too busy trying to feint.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:42 pm »
Native duelling is a piece of shit. It is faster, but the 2h stab is so outrageously omnipotent that it ruins the fun of duelling. It's a fluke based, animation and macro abusing pile of crap.

Implying cRPG dueling isn't about 2h stab lololol

Even worse, a lot of the efficient duelists use 2h stab with backpedal all the fucking time (GTX, Tyr, Torm), which is probably the single most gay way to duel. Even I use it because it's so damn effective (because cRPG is too slow to win any other way against any kind of competent player).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:56:21 pm by Vibe »

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »
Chambering then holding the chamber swing, get's them every time (5% of the time, anyway)