Author Topic: sad but true  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: sad but true
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »
Increase weight of bows and arrows to give the archers less "run / kite" speed?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(click to show/hide)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »
Saddest thing is, even if we make hundreds of threads on how to balance / nerf / buff archers to make it more even. It will take the devs. 12 months just to even start finding a solution.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »
+1
Saddest thing is, even if we make hundreds of threads on how to balance / nerf / buff archers to make it more even. It will take the devs. 12 months just to even start finding a solution.

Yes. But Buff and Nerf and Balance threads are the only things worth "gerneral-discussing" about
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »
+12
Killing someone in melee requires an effort and will usually take you a bit of time. Most people can block pretty well  :)

So why not just jump over the hard part and shoot them?  That's the mindset I think alot of ranged has. You often do more damage with your ranged than what most melee weapons do, and they wont be able to block you unless they have a shield.  :rolleyes:

It's simple evolution, just look at how warfare has evolved. Ranged was the winner in the end  :(
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
+3
What I think the heart of the issue is concerning archery is that there is only one good way to go about making a archer build: Get 6 PD and put everything else into WM and ATH. That's it. An optimized archery build for level 30 would be 18/21. There's no disputing it. That's just how it is. It is objectively better than other archery builds.

-Higher damage at 6 PD and high WPF than 10 PD and crappy WPF
-Higher rate of fire and accuracy
-Kiting ability

If it were up to me any given archer would have to base his build around two of those three things, not all of them. Would be like this:

Want to hit like a truck and be accurate? You move like a strength build. Slowly.
Want to hit like a truck and kite? You're inaccurate as all hell.
Want to be accurate and kite? I hope you have lots of arrows, because any given dude is going to take ten of them.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »
+1
Killing someone in melee requires an effort and will usually take you a bit of time. Most people can block pretty well  :)

So why not just jump over the hard part and shoot them?  That's the mindset I think alot of ranged has. You often do more damage with your ranged than what most melee weapons do, and they wont be able to block you unless they have a shield.  :rolleyes:

It's simple evolution, just look at how warfare has evolved. Ranged was the winner in the end  :(

and devs are ignoring our prayers as "god" did in the dark ages. I think you're right Tor. It all makes sense now!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »
+1
In a real life scenario, sparing lives makes sense even to the most braindead person.

This game isn't real life. There are mechanics and eventualities that help you obtain the balance in every scenario.

Offline STOPHammerTime

• Baron
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Cant touch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 10:24:01 pm »
+5
I dont want to whine, infact it annoys me when I see people on forums or in game constantly complaining but for the last few days this mod has finally started to get boring for me...

I will never quit the mod and if I did I dont think I would feel the need to notify everyone about it but I have noticed that It no longer draws me in like it used to and for me it is mainly because servers are gradually getting full of clones.

All melee seems to now involve a shield and all range is becoming archer dominated, whilst the cav continues to sweep around the map killing anyone brave enough to try anything that leaves them remotley unguarded for a few seconds.

This is only my opinion and im pretty much certain its biased due to me being a foolish pure thrower but it sure feels like interesting and challenging builds are disappearing from the game but like Tor says why would anyone do it when there are far easier ways to get kills in this game?

You bring nothing positive to any game server except making a nice easy target for cav and archers.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »
I dont want to whine, infact it annoys me when I see people on forums or in game constantly complaining but for the last few days this mod has finally started to get boring for me...

I will never quit the mod and if I did I dont think I would feel the need to notify everyone about it but I have noticed that It no longer draws me in like it used to and for me it is mainly because servers are gradually getting full of clones.

All melee seems to now involve a shield and all range is becoming archer dominated, whilst the cav continues to sweep around the map killing anyone brave enough to try anything that leaves them remotley unguarded for a few seconds.

This is only my opinion and im pretty much certain its biased due to me being a foolish pure thrower but it sure feels like interesting and challenging builds are disappearing from the game but like Tor says why would anyone do it when there are far easier ways to get kills in this game?

I share your opinion a 100%! (And am a thrower too)

Haven't played for 3 days now. Just cant be arsed.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 10:39:02 pm »

What are the challenging builds? Greatsword? maul? cbow? I can guarantee you there arent many builds that are waaaay more challenging than others. Mybe only HA, but thats just about it. Cbow is pretty damn easy. Mauling just needs you to time your hits right etc. The massive archer problem is beatable and dependant on map. I can say, that many archers have quite predictable paths they move from round to round and gives easy ways to backstab them in the face with my 2h. But thats just me, normally I try to learn a lesson after catching an arrow with my teeth. :rolleyes:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2012, 10:40:58 pm »
+3
The massive archer problem is beatable and dependant on map. I can say, that many archers have quite predictable paths they move from round to round and gives easy ways to backstab them in the face with my 2h.
This is disgustingly true, after blowing almost a hundred million experience on playing an archer I have to say I can just glance at a map, new or old, and automatically know where all the sensible archers will be and what type they will be, and backstab with a melee.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline peter_afca7

• Count
  • Renown: 224
  • Infamy: 113
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BLABLA
  • Game nicks: BLABLABLA
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
+1
That might have been my bad.
it was, result break for EU_1 and little bit of play on EU_2 not FUN anymore spawn get headshot and wait for few minutes to spawn and get another headshot CBA anymore

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »
+3
What are the challenging builds? Greatsword? maul? cbow? I can guarantee you there arent many builds that are waaaay more challenging than others. Mybe only HA, but thats just about it. Cbow is pretty damn easy. Mauling just needs you to time your hits right etc. The massive archer problem is beatable and dependant on map. I can say, that many archers have quite predictable paths they move from round to round and gives easy ways to backstab them in the face with my 2h. But thats just me, normally I try to learn a lesson after catching an arrow with my teeth. :rolleyes:
you sir write nonsens  for example mauler easy mode? what?  almost anything can outspam you, due to your high strenght which is required for effective mauling you are also slow so everyone can catch you and it does take skill to even hit enemy and to do at least basic feint due to unbalanced weapon. Second, backstabbing archers? tr to to that on maps with roofs awailable where is 5-10 archers camping   go ahead  try to sneak to them i will be happy to see you doing that  :wink:
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »

Well ranged isn't easy especially if the goal is to be a statwhore hero so it's not like it's unbalanced. The problem is that it appeals to a lot of people for some reason so there's a ton of them out there.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:34 am »
+1
I hope the mod team ignore every inch of this thread. People here dont learn.

You think you are balancing the game...but in fact you are destroying it, mauling it, mutating it and turning it into a parody of itself. You only think of the immediate problem that adheres to YOUR position...you cannot see the forest for the trees.

This is proof that human beings just want to be ruled and subjugated. You are given freedom of choice in a game...and then day by day you whittle it away and throw it in the bin all in the name of what you call 'balance'.

But you dont really want balance....you people want superiority. It's about pride and the belief that what you do and play with is somehow better and more difficult than anyone else's choice.

In older patches people didnt notice such things...why? Because they just did whatever their minds could come up with...people had ridiculous bow-builds...but then the melee players had ridiculous armour and shields and weapons.

And yet that was still whined about and thrown away; you dug your own hole. Take the responsibility and fucking lie in it.

Im still amazed really...this happened before, remember? Interestingly enough im surprised people seem to think that it was only melee players improving their skills all this time....

Ps: Not surprised at the down votes. People get defensive when something hits close to home.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:00:04 am by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.