Author Topic: On being a Frenchie in NA  (Read 3849 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: On being a Frenchie in NA
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »
Nationalism is funny. People get all crazy about the country where their mom happened to get fucked and spit them out.

Are you drunk?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Nationalism is funny. People get all crazy about the country where their mom happened to get fucked and spit them out.
Are you drunk?

Changed three countries since i was born, so yeah, i dont give a flying fuck about nationalism. If i don't like to live where i'm living now - i will just move on.

And +1 to Rusty
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »
+1
I've lived in many more countries than that, and something that was common to all of them was a sense of pride in their nationality. If not that ethnicity, or religion, or something. People who think not having any sense of nationality is something enlightened and admirable are deluded and naive. Tribalism is inherently human, the peoples that DO have pride in some form of it, no matter how fake or artificial it is, shape the world and it's future. Those that don't fade into obscurity or get absorbed. Different strains of it will never dissapear, just compete with each other as they have done since the dawn of civilization.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »
I've lived in many more countries than that, and something that was common to all of them was a sense of pride in their nationality. If not that ethnicity, or religion, or something. People who think not having any sense of nationality is something enlightened and admirable are deluded and naive. Tribalism is inherently human, the peoples that DO have pride in some form of it, no matter how fake or artificial it is, shape the world and it's future. Those that don't fade into obscurity or get absorbed. Different strains of it will never dissapear, just compete with each other as they have done since the dawn of civilization.

It should and will disappear. EU is a good working example for once ( EU got a Nobels Peace prize this year ). Countries/tribes that were fighting over Europe for thousands of years, finally come to see each other as partners, and war between Germany, UK and France is highly unlikely these days.
Germany used to be divided in multiple tiny countries until Bismark, just as most major countries in Europe used to be before. Just look at this mess:

14th century:

Edit:

The term nationality itself is only about 300 years old btw...

All-in-all nothing good comes from nationalism imo, ever. To be strongly proud of once geographic origin, is for someone who has nothing else to be proud of as a person.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:58:51 pm by Armpit_Sweat »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »
+6

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »
It should and will disappear. EU is a good working example for once ( EU got a Nobels Peace prize this year ). Countries/tribes that were fighting over Europe for thousands of years, finally come to see each other as partners, and war between Germany, UK and France is highly unlikely these days.
Germany used to be divided in multiple tiny countries until Bismark, just as most major countries in Europe used to be before. Just look at this mess:

14th century:

Edit:

All-in-all nothing good comes from nationalism imo, ever. To be strongly proud of once geographic origin, is for someone who has nothing else to be proud of as a person.

yes civilized white people as always, look at the barbaric africans and middle easterners fighting over such silly things like "cultural identity" and "preventing genocide" after centuries of imperialism
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 03:04:59 pm »
and war between Germany, UK and France is highly unlikely these days.   War is unlikely between major nations because of the destructive power of modern weapons. War between major nations and weak nations does happen and pretty commonly. Mainland europe may be at peace but im sure if you ask a german what he is he wont refer to himself as european but german.

Try asking around the UK what the feelings towards the EU are :P would you find many of us willing to be "led" or ruled by someone who isnt from the UK? I think you will find your answer is no from 99.9%
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Mechanix

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • lolwut
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mechanix
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 03:11:55 pm »
+1
+1 THIS MAN IMMEDIATELY
But as the world turned i learned life was hell; livin' in a world no different from a cell - WuTang

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 03:15:20 pm »
+3
The North Sea was called the German Ocean?

Is it just me or does the word Frenchie not sound that bad? Is a lot catchier than Frenchman atleast. How about people just grow a bit thicker skin, you're on the internet after all. We all know making fun of someone's country is funny. I personally wouldn't give a fuck. Try me, I'm from The Netherlands.

and war between Germany, UK and France is highly unlikely these days.   War is unlikely between major nations because of the destructive power of modern weapons. War between major nations and weak nations does happen and pretty commonly. Mainland europe may be at peace but im sure if you ask a german what he is he wont refer to himself as european but german.

Try asking around the UK what the feelings towards the EU are :P would you find many of us willing to be "led" or ruled by someone who isnt from the UK? I think you will find your answer is no from 99.9%
And a German from Saxony used to refer to himself as Saxon and not as German, those things can change. Nationalism is weakening, it is a slow process but a German refering to himself as a European is hardly unthinkable.

War is unlikely between major nations because of the destructive power of modern weapons.
Not really, war between these nations is unlikely because they are democracies with free markets. These countries are globally connected with eachother to the extent that having a war with any of them would give us a financial crisis that will make us forget about the current one in a second. The benefits will never even get close to outweighing the costs so war is basically impossible.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 03:26:47 pm »
Well Berenger and Oberyn at it again. Cant tell who is more foolish, the one who is trolling the raging frenchman(again), or the frenchman who totally fell for the trolls and keeps writing long logical posts, althou he realised it long ago it was pointless. Seriuslly Oberyn, Berenger is acctually quite smart, but he has to keep up with his stereotypical american act, otherwise people wont find him interesting anymore. :rolleyes:

Im with Teeth on this one, grow balls and live happy. Frenchy is not a bad word. I use it aswell, since its just catchy and I just mean "french dude" by it, nothing offensive. I make fun of everybodies country and they make fun of mine, but we act all cool about it, since its just all in good fun(or in very rare occasions ignorance).

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
+3
Well Berenger and Oberyn at it again. Cant tell who is more foolish, the one who is trolling the raging frenchman(again), or the frenchman who totally fell for the trolls and keeps writing long logical posts, althou he realised it long ago it was pointless. Seriuslly Oberyn, Berenger is acctually quite smart, but he has to keep up with his stereotypical american act, otherwise people wont find him interesting anymore. :rolleyes:

Im with Teeth on this one, grow balls and live happy. Frenchy is not a bad word. I use it aswell, since its just catchy and I just mean "french dude" by it, nothing offensive. I make fun of everybodies country and they make fun of mine, but we act all cool about it, since its just all in good fun(or in very rare occasions ignorance).

More like Oberyn - Smoothrich.

I'm just laughing at Oberyn acting like a retard. Actually pretty funny.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
+3

That is absolutely false. Nationalism itself exists a long time now. Ancient Greek states had extreme nationalism, even between different states. Also, for the longest time, there was also the even more advanced idea of panationalism for a united Greece. Then, Rome came. Do I really have to explain why Rome, that was the first nation persistent on assimilating "Barbarians" effectively into their "superior" culture, was nationalist? I sure hope not. Even in the middle ages we had nationalism. A few examples would be Byzantine nationalism (the restoration of the Byzantine empire after its fall to the Franks was a major thing for almost 60 years), Venetian nationalism (if you read about Venice, you can strongly see their belief that they were seperate and superior, both as a state AND as a people, from the rest of Italy). Or how about Lombardian nationalism that eventually led to Northern Italy being seperated from the Holy Roman Empire (and yes, I know it was a direct consequence of a failed Imperial intervention, however they already were semi-autonomous, purely due to their nationality). Or, how about we move out of Europe? China had strong nationalism elements with many different cultures always seeking as an end goal, even on harsh times, to re-unite into what is called "China" or how about the prevalent belief that China was the state of the god and perfect?

And I won't even get into what is called religious nationalism, which was prevalent within the middle ages (the crusades are a prime example).

Saying nationalism is 300 years old is outright ignorant.

"Geographic origin"? How about culture? How about heritage? How about values? You would never go to Saudi Arabia, even though the educated people there get crazy amounts of money. Why? Because their culture is extremely different from yours. Their values probably seem disgusting to you. Yet it seems normal for them. Nationalism shields you from them and that is a force of good.

However, how about we discuss other direct benefits of nationalism? Nationalism led to the dissolution of the feudal state (of course, nationalism was pushed by the enlightment) and the entry to the modern era, especially after the fal of the HRE. Nationalism has drove the drive of scientific innovation and exploration. The Portuguese explorers are an example of that (and no, don't give me the BS that discovering America and Asia was harmful to the world).

I could go on and on for days on the subject, but yeah. Your views are very very simplistic.

edit: there was even a form of feudal nationalism in the 16th century. For example, Friedrich der Große of Prussia had a king-worship movement around him that could very well be considered nationalist in nature (unity of the lands of Prussia)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:33:09 pm by Arathian »

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »
+3
 :rolleyes:
Threads like that always end up with Smoothrich complaining about racism, some libmy old friends telling us how bad and unnecessary nationalism is and the rest discussing some unrelated history shit...

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »
More like Oberyn - Smoothrich.

I'm just laughing at Oberyn acting like a retard. Actually pretty funny.

It really is. Im loling especially hard since he tries to give you historylessons here. :mrgreen:

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »
+1
By the way, the map you provided above (I will guess that map is a late 13th century map) does NOT contain countries. It contains feudal entities. Feudal entities are NOT countries. In fact, France was, until the 15th century, probably seperated in about 100 feudal entities, but all answered to the king. Same with the HRE (the many small German minors you see there). They all answered to the emperor.