Author Topic: 1h shielder build help  (Read 5839 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: 1h shielder build help
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »
+1
When on my 2hander, I LOVE it when a shielder pulls out a throwing weapon. Either they switch weapons and I get a free hit, or I spam the shit out of them since they can't hit me with their short, slow, weak weapon.

Throwing is great at medium range when you're closing distance, but pretty terrible when fighting against a speedy 2hander who can dance in and out of your range.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 07:12:05 pm »
+1
When on my 2hander, I LOVE it when a shielder pulls out a throwing weapon. Either they switch weapons and I get a free hit, or I spam the shit out of them since they can't hit me with their short, slow, weak weapon.

Throwing is great at medium range when you're closing distance, but pretty terrible when fighting against a speedy 2hander who can dance in and out of your range.

Fighting noob throwers then. My throwing weapon gets me free hits all the time off 2h cuz they see it out and run up to try and bump me, I just press X instead of switching weps, and then hit them with my axe in melee mode. Not exactly weak either, its 36 cut melee damage.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »

You act like the majority of 2hs are bright enough to do this. Half the few that are also end up being so into the game they wouldn't even notice anyways until the axe is sticking out of their dome.

Though it is doable, melee mode axes offer almost the same stats as a broad 1h axe, minus 20 length.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 08:26:09 pm »
Sometimes I wrap my penis around in toiletpaper. But seriously the throwing vs 2hander thing realy depends on the brightness of the 2hander and the brightness of the thrower. Most of the time I just use my long arming to spam the living shit.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:41 pm »
+1
On a side note, I don't understand the popularity of the 21/15 build.

18/18 is FAR superior for a 1-hander.

21/15 grants you 5 extra hit points, and AT BEST 3 additional points of damage per swing and that's BEFORE armor reduction. So, you'll get an extra 1-2 points of damage per swing. To gain those "benefits" you're slower with less acceleration and have a worse shield than an 18/18 build.

That being said, 18/21 is the 1-hander build of kings.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:48 pm »
18/21 is the 1-hander build of kings.

Signed.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:42 pm »
On a side note, I don't understand the popularity of the 21/15 build.

18/18 is FAR superior for a 1-hander.

21/15 grants you 5 extra hit points, and AT BEST 3 additional points of damage per swing and that's BEFORE armor reduction. So, you'll get an extra 1-2 points of damage per swing. To gain those "benefits" you're slower with less acceleration and have a worse shield than an 18/18 build.

That being said, 18/21 is the 1-hander build of kings.

There's a reason you need to use a military hammer. With 6 PS , slash weps (especially non-loomed) have a lot of trouble with anyone over 50 armor.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
There's a reason you need to use a military hammer. With 6 PS , slash weps (especially non-loomed) have a lot of trouble with anyone over 50 armor.

As a player that is usually 18/18 or 18/21, I don't have many problems with my italian sword, unless they are in full plate and then I switch to my iberian mace.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »

The VAST majority of my kills are with my Italian sword, heavy armor or no.

I generally only use my hammer when I'm not using my shield and blocking someone who likes to weapon stun and when I'm sneaking up on people. It may take more hits to kill people with  my sword, but it's much, much easier to land hits.

Again, there's no real difference between 6 and 7 PS. Damage type and the weapon's initial damage are FAR more important than PS.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:28 pm »
you are also dead the majority of the time round ends, cuz you wear paper mache armor and have no hitpoints.  you are also terrible in large or chaotic engagements because 1 hit kills you.  you also dont play siege at all and these 30+ str guys laugh at your damage

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
you are also dead the majority of the time round ends, cuz you wear paper mache armor and have no hitpoints.  you are also terrible in large or chaotic engagements because 1 hit kills you.  you also dont play siege at all and these 30+ str guys laugh at your damage

lulz

An 18/18 build will have 5 less hitpoints than a 21/15 build. With my build I have 9 less. Not a big deal. Especially considering the fact that the high damage of 2-handers and poles complete negate any advantage that a few hit points would give you. You're much better off not getting hit at all. Which considering the fact that I'm pretty much invulnerable from the front, that doesn't happen much.

With my regular armor the only time I ever get 1 hit is with a full str user, with a high damage weapon combined with a held attack and speed bonus. That's a pretty rare combination. Having higher athletics is also BETTER in large and chaotic engagements 'cause you don't have to sit in the middle like an idiot getting hit by enemies and teammates alike.

I also do play siege more often than other modes (though I don't play much any more in general). But talking about doing well on siege is a non-argument. You can be piss drunk and do better than 90% of the people who play siege.

And again, the different between 6 and 7 PS damage-wise is barely noticeable. Those extra 2 points of damage per swing aren't going to make a big difference. With higher speed bonus and held attacks you can do far more damage than the extra PS. Try a 6/33 spear build and you'll see for yourself.

Damage type and initial weapon damage are more important than PS.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »
I am confused, aren't you suggesting that you cut Iron flesh for throwing? And then saying that you have so many more hitpoints then a 18/18 or 18/21 build?

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 08:46:26 am »
+2
It´s all about preferance , as my 39 STR full lordly heavy armour mighty morningstar 13 ps build. I don´t care if you´re 7 if and 21 STR or 15 STR and 0 if you´re just going to get one hitted. And that´s why we love me!

Offline Kirman

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tormatun
  • Game nicks: Kirman/Namrik/Anmirk/Riknam
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
I have no idea about hoplite(pole+shield) Im playing as shielder for 4 gen. This is the build im using and ill keep it. If i can reach 33 ill make it 24/15 with 8PS/IF and if i decide to become a nolifer ill make it 24/18 with 6ath.

Nordic Champion Sword + Elite Cavalry/Knightly Kite Shield
Level 30

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 70
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 148

A build which my friend uses. I never tried it but it looks usefull.

Steel Pick+Huscarl Round Shield
Level 30

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 56
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 7
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 158

Theres also 18/18 which is balanced. I started with it.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:26:37 pm by Xside »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »
It´s all about preferance , as my 39 STR full lordly heavy armour mighty morningstar 13 ps build. I don´t care if you´re 7 if and 21 STR or 15 STR and 0 if you´re just going to get one hitted. And that´s why we love me!

Higher str builds are much more viable for 2h/pole than for 1-handers and that's for a few reasons:

1. 1-handers have low damage values. As PS is a percentile-based increase, higher damage weapons benefit much more. The average damage of a 2h/pole is MUCH higher than a 1h.
2. 1-handers are short. Even the longest 1-hander is short compared to the average 2h or pole. As higher str builds have lower athletics, it's harder to get into range.
3. Shields weigh you down a lot. That reduces your movement speed even more, making it harder for you to get into range.
4. Lower agi means lower shield skill. Lower shield skill means a slower, easier to break shield.

For 1-handers as long as you have enough PS to where you don't glance regularly, you're good to go.

If you're using a 1h pierce or blunt weapon 4 is fine.
With a 1h cut weapon you'd want at least 5, but 6 is better.

6 athletics is also a good target, as it makes it easier to get into range with your shorter weapon, avoid kicks and compensate for your shield weight.

The reason I use 7 athletics is it makes it much easier to make use of speed bonus and held attacks. Those in combination give a MUCH higher damage increase than PS.

I think Egan said it best when he said something along the lines of, "For a shielder you'd want at least 6 athletics and 6 ps. Anything above that for either is just gravy."