Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 112699 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #945 on: October 11, 2015, 01:51:45 pm »
+1
"...and then transport them to the nearest outpost – all for a nice profit, of course."

So intelligent bandits in this game will not only destroy a small fleet. They then will also send out random, nonclan Hope-Ships to bring their victims to the next hospital to get some extra cash out of them  :mrgreen:

Banditry-Healthcare complex

Offline Lemon

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Lemon Company
  • Game nicks: #Free Lemon 2012
  • IRC nick: Lemon
« Reply #946 on: October 11, 2015, 07:38:45 pm »
I've been following since the OG kickstarter, looking to finally pledge now. Unsure if I should get an entry level ship or something nicer to support the game. Looking at the Gladius with 36month insurance rn.

Also- just built my computer, anyone have any clue how well I can run it?

i5 6600k (currently at 3.5, will oc soon)
Sapphire R9 390X
16gb ram
ASRock Z170 Pro4 mobo
Lemon Luther King JR, has a dream, where all trolls are treated with fairness and equality. Lemon's want to be able to vote, and ride in the front of the bus, and drink from the same fountain that we do. Please right this inequality

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1096
  • Infamy: 2182
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 11, 2015, 08:20:36 pm »
+1
Depends on you. If you are skeptical, get the base Aurora package. You can upgrade it later via CCU, when they deliver PU Alpha.

Current build will run great on that PC, not sure about future builds with persistent universe. Seems awfully unoptimized atm but that is to be expected (they put pieces together few months ago).

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #948 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:42 pm »
I've been following since the OG kickstarter, looking to finally pledge now. Unsure if I should get an entry level ship or something nicer to support the game.

I´d also get the Aurora for now, you can always upgrade later. Heck, maybe you´re lucky and there´s a short-time event where you can change your ship for another one (f.e. I was able to swap my Aurora for a sweet Mustang).
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #949 on: October 11, 2015, 10:22:19 pm »
I only watched the gameplay parts because that's what actually matters to me.

It's undeniably pretty, no doubt there however they still have a lot of work to do on the character models and animations. In my opinion that should have been one of the first things to tackle, it can break immersion if done poorly. I also found the ship's movement in space, not that engaging if that's a proper way to express it. I mean, it looks cool, but it's like there's no physics when the engines start accelerating.

This is probably a minor issue since you can watch the ship from the outside, but am I the only one that found that ship (From the 20 min gameplay video) if looking from the inside having too much infront of you to see your surroundings? It's quite distracting but maybe it's just me.

The UI somehow reminds me of Dead Space with that tiny box on the side showing your health etc.. I also said cool when I heard him breathing when he got out the ship but apparently the air stock in those suits lasts forever? I mean the description given on their forum says it's some technology that can store a lot of air in their suits. I however would have found it cooler if you had a meter and you could run out of air. (Obviously not a short meter it's in the future there's bound to be improvements) Is there any footage of the players fighting with guns? There seems to be guns in the store.

All that said, I still believe the game won't be finished by 2016. There's too much to tackle for 1 year.

Maybe they release some modules then continue releasing more and more so dunno.

(Awaiting the hate)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 11, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »
All that said, I still believe the game won't be finished by 2016. There's too much to tackle for 1 year.
How much money would you be willing to bet on that?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2161
  • Infamy: 1838
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:58 pm »
Only thing that bothers me about ship movement is jerkiness. It isn't smooth and I believe it should be. About "physics" and "feel of flying tons of steel", you need to remember this is space. No forces to stop you, no inertia. Elite: Dangerous does it differently, they intentionally opted for space flight model that mimics that of airplanes in Earth atmosphere. Ships have inertia, they feels weighty, sounds affects are there to amplify that feeling.

UI is kinda horrible, especially helmet part. I'm against that shit but seems that Roberts want to go that route. UI is unfinished, many widgets missing. It will be a lot busier when done, may even be too obtrusive.

Most of the systems they are developing are lacking in that demo, probably due to instability. They didn't show air pressure simulation, they didn't show juke animations (something that should eliminate jerkiness when movement animation starts and ends), there is no grubby hands and because of that EVA looks horrible (EVA animations also largely unfinished), weapon animations are broken atm, quantum drive is obviously in very early stage. Maps are big but empty, no AI yet, no missions, nothing atm.

Game won't be finished by 2016, but maybe they'll release real Alpha before the end of this year, if we're lucky. Whole game consists of 125 star systems, that won't be done for at least another 3 years. By the end of 2016, in best case scenario we'll have some 20 systems to play in, with approx. 50 locations to visit.

I´d also get the Aurora for now, you can always upgrade later. Heck, maybe you´re lucky and there´s a short-time event where you can change your ship for another one (f.e. I was able to swap my Aurora for a sweet Mustang).

Mustang is same tier as Aurora LX (I have cheaper MR version), it is just different ship. Aurora is jack-of-all-trades good for trading. Mustang is cheap version of fighter but sucks for trading.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 11, 2015, 11:17:44 pm »
From the demo I kinda feel like they haven't shown anything that they already haven't shown in that video where 3 of them also board the same ship and then get inside a derelict ship and bring it back (was shown a month or two ago?)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #953 on: October 11, 2015, 11:44:55 pm »
Only thing that bothers me about ship movement is jerkiness. It isn't smooth and I believe it should be. About "physics" and "feel of flying tons of steel", you need to remember this is space. No forces to stop you, no inertia. Elite: Dangerous does it differently, they intentionally opted for space flight model that mimics that of airplanes in Earth atmosphere. Ships have inertia, they feels weighty, sounds affects are there to amplify that feeling.

Yes, I agree that it shouldn't be like real planes but as I observed the ship, it looked like it was standing still while the rest was moving. Only those tiny rock animations that went by made it clear that is was moving. And let's be honest here, the game is not going for the realistic route, else you wouldn't hear the shots being fired.

It just felt like you have a picture of a ship and you are moving it with your hand with some flashy lights indicating the engine is working. It's still alpha so they will probably tackle the ship's movement.

@Vibe Based on mmorpg.com, the video that is getting the most comments is the one about Mark Hamill taking part in the project. There is some people worried about the fight shown in the livestream as in the video it seems like people can easily ambush and take your belongings but with ship insurance etc there shouldn't be much to worry about.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:49:07 pm by Vexus »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 928
  • Infamy: 2531
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:13 am »
From the demo I kinda feel like they haven't shown anything that they already haven't shown in that video where 3 of them also board the same ship and then get inside a derelict ship and bring it back (was shown a month or two ago?)

You are right, other than slightly better animations and everything feeling a little bit smoother (or less likely to fall apart every second), slightly larger space base, nothing new was shown. Same props but different scenario. And portion of FPS where they shoot at each other.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 1600
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 12, 2015, 12:59:40 am »
And let's be honest here, the game is not going for the realistic route, else you wouldn't hear the shots being fired.

Chris Roberts is very persistent in making sure flight doesn't go WW2 style. He has some dude who wrote physics engine that controls thrusters and this is the result of that. He don't want to delete it and go for arbitrary values for ship maneuverability.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 12, 2015, 01:05:53 am »
Which is good. E:D flight model is boring as hell. The current one is fun and very skill-based.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2770
  • Infamy: 2492
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »
If I remember right, Goons were big supporters of this project? Well if that used to be the case, it is not anymore: https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/653340174672224256

Agreeing with Mr Smart, means you also take same side as Goons. How come "Star Citizen is a scam" movement doesn't have anyone even remotely reputable?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #958 on: October 12, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »
So if I had to decide to invest in either SC or Elite, what would be the better choice? Wanting Newtonian flight physics(like the original Elite had iirc) and having limited playtime. Don't care much about graphics though.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1209
  • Infamy: 2408
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 12, 2015, 09:39:12 pm »
Original Elite doesn't have Newtonian flight physics. Frontier: Elite II seems to be the game you're thinking of. Neither of these game has true Newtonian flight physics. Star Citizen is somewhat closer but it has limited max speed and some oddities here and there.

At moment Elite has solid backbone, while Star Citizen really does not (unless you're into WoT like arena gameplay).