Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 112675 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #585 on: November 16, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »
Obviously, but with no way to get the dedicated dogfighters/racers other than parting with real cash, that's P2W.
Until they put in an ingame way of getting credits or try to group like ships together, it's very much P2W atm.

Anyway the 300i was originally listed as a combat-capable ship (interdiction, Bounty hunter package iirc). Only the 315p variant is exploration oriented.
It's an alpha. It's not supposed to be balanced right now, or fair. Calling an alpha game module P2W is a bit ridiculous. They don't expect you to play it, or "win" it. You just have an option to play it while they develop it and help test features, flying the ship you've pledged for. It's an alpha version of a tiny part of the real game.

Also, yes, 300i isn't exploration, it's touring.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/origin-300/300i#variant-matrix
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #586 on: November 16, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »
It's an alpha. It's not supposed to be balanced right now, or fair. Calling an alpha game module P2W is a bit ridiculous. They don't expect you to play it, or "win" it. You just have an option to play it while they develop it and help test features, flying the ship you've pledged for. It's an alpha version of a tiny part of the real game.

Also, yes, 300i isn't exploration, it's touring.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/origin-300/300i#variant-matrix

So you disagree it's P2W, but you haven't any justification for it (other than the suggestion is 'ridiculous').
Feature testing doesn't require a payment based progression system, and an alpha where they don't expect you to play (therefore test) is laughable.

I am aware of their future plans of a payment model which isn't P2W, I am just disappointed by the current P2W model in AC.

That's my only gripe with SC, which I am still very much looking forward to being released.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 16, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
How can it be labeled "P2W" if everything you can pay for can be unlocked by playing within a reasonable time frame? That's "pay for convenience" and I'm fine with it.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2014, 12:17:40 am »
+1
How can it be labeled "P2W" if everything you can pay for can be unlocked by playing within a reasonable time frame? That's "pay for convenience" and I'm fine with it.

Unfortunately that isn't implemented yet.
Currently you can't unlock anything via ingame play.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1877
  • Infamy: 680
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 17, 2014, 03:24:20 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvZfrXPchg&list=UUTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA#t=640

Like I said.

One last feature I wanted to mention is probably the most exciting and again another novel one for Star Citizen which is the concept of a local physics grid or basically a relative physics world within another larger one. This is how we are able to keep the physics in place and gameplay capable even whilst walking around ships that might be flying at hundreds or thousands of meters per second. This also gives a super unique sensation and gameplay as you are properly inside your ship and your physics is relative to that instead of the larger world. This was first demonstrated at Gamescon of this year and again at CitizenCon and we are very excited to share more of it very soon.

http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews/cloud-imperium-on-star-citizen-mods-pc-exclusivity-graphical-features-directx12-multi-core-cpus/

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 17, 2014, 04:34:25 am »
So you disagree it's P2W, but you haven't any justification for it (other than the suggestion is 'ridiculous').
Feature testing doesn't require a payment based progression system, and an alpha where they don't expect you to play (therefore test) is laughable.

I am aware of their future plans of a payment model which isn't P2W, I am just disappointed by the current P2W model in AC.

That's my only gripe with SC, which I am still very much looking forward to being released.
Just because you can't understand the justifications I offered doesn't mean I didn't have any.

http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews/cloud-imperium-on-star-citizen-mods-pc-exclusivity-graphical-features-directx12-multi-core-cpus/
What does that have to do with what you quoted?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #591 on: November 17, 2014, 09:48:13 am »
Unfortunately that isn't implemented yet.
Currently you can't unlock anything via ingame play.
Yes, because it's not the full game yet.
How can you expect an Alpha to be balanced, feature-full and optimized? Cuz that's what you do from the sound of it.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:48 pm »
How can you expect an Alpha to be balanced, feature-full and optimized? Cuz that's what you do from the sound of it.
The thing is, it's not even an alpha of a game. It's an alpha of one narrow part of the game.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1204
  • Infamy: 2475
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 17, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »
What does that have to do with what you quoted?

I said that physics simulation isn't the same for the whole 'bubble' or 'shard (instance), you've linked me CR to prove that it is. Now I'm linking quote from an interview where developer explains how it actually works. It will feel like they are simulating everything that is happening inside one instance, but they will actually split physics simulation into parts, interior and exterior physics which will be synced to create feeling of continuity. Same will be done for bigger ships, which will be split in parts (every part of a ship will be small physics instance). That is necessary to achieve big battles at this level of fidelity, otherwise it wouldn't be possible because of net-code limitations.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 17, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »
I said that physics simulation isn't the same for the whole 'bubble' or 'shard (instance), you've linked me CR to prove that it is. Now I'm linking quote from an interview where developer explains how it actually works. It will feel like they are simulating everything that is happening inside one instance, but they will actually split physics simulation into parts, interior and exterior physics which will be synced to create feeling of continuity. Same will be done for bigger ships, which will be split in parts (every part of a ship will be small physics instance). That is necessary to achieve big battles at this level of fidelity, otherwise it wouldn't be possible because of net-code limitations.
No, that is not what you said, Leshma.

What you said is this:

As for boarding action, big ships will be instanced to allow for them to be part of bigger battles. That means boarding action inside the ship won't share same instance with the ship itself in the universe fighting other ship, from what I understood. What troubles me, is the fact they say it will be possible for surroundings to influence inside the ship to some degree.

Completely different.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 17, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »
"For the first time ever in its history, EVE Online is experimenting with giving players manual control of their starships. The change was prompted by observing new players who were frustrated that the game didn't include standard WASD controls. These "simple" controls will be introduced as an optional beta feature in next month's Rhea update."

Someone feels pressured :)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2950
  • Infamy: 196
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 17, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »
At best, that will feel like those action based combat MMORPGs. There's a difference between WoWs combat and games like Neverwinter or Guild Wars 2 but it's still miles from Dark Souls and other truly action based games.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 17, 2014, 06:44:17 pm »

Because it's being sold. For the (I suppose moronic) people not ready to wait it out, it's a legitimate reason not to buy the game now.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #598 on: November 17, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »
Because it's being sold. For the (I suppose moronic) people not ready to wait it out, it's a legitimate reason not to buy the game now.
That doesn't make sense.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »
Au contraire, there's no reason not to buy the game now. You can fly around and get a feel for the game, plus Vanduul swarm is really fun (albeit for limited amounts of time), especially co-op. What you shouldn't do is try to be the bestest PvPer ever in an alpha -- or if that's what you want to do, at least not whine that at the moment the best dogfighters cost more money than the multi-purpose starter ships.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.