Poll

Which european nation has the greatest history and was the most powerful?

Great Britain
France
Italy
Spain
Greece
Germany
Denmark
Ireland
Portugal
Austria
Russia
Other...
Christmas Island :)

Author Topic: Who is really the greatest european nation?  (Read 50214 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Who is really the greatest european nation?
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2014, 03:00:58 pm »
Everytime an argument goes bad for you Xant you find something else to bash on. That's pretty funny to be honest.
Since an argument has "never gone bad" for me, that's a silly thing to say.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:53 pm »
Organized religions ARE dumb and manipulative, uniformaly. Religious people aren't necessarily. Nice attempt at strawmanning though. Should have thrown in a line about fat fedora tipping to really show how superior you are to the angry basement dwellers. Those damn hipster atheists, think they're so enlightened, but I'm so much more enlightened than they are. Dat irony
The fence sitting bundle of stickss afraid of "offending" think their hippy live and let live bullshit is some sort of deep philosophical point as opposed to abject cowardice. Good people can believe dumb shit, and that's not limited to religion. Don't see why I'd need to humour them any more than I would a scientologist or a demented bint who believes in the healing power of crystals.

I agree with you that the content of the Holy Books of the abrahamic religions are nothing more than a pick and choose buffet of ideology and beliefs though, because anyone who interpreted them literally in their entirety would obviously be thought completely insane or moronic even by their own religious peers. Examining the minutiae of verses or passages does not often reveal the root causes for political and social beliefs/actions anyways, those are caused by the circumstances of the material world and always have been. Organized religion was at best a justification for rule (ordained by or with the approval of God) and a form of communal tribal identity. The content of the Holy Books are practically irrelevant if they do not touch on either of those things.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »
+1
p: i love these random oberyn's minuses

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #303 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:37 pm »
I can live with them fine. I know retarded hippies who believe in dumb gaia crystal earth mother lunar cycle bullshit, I know christians, muslims, jews and buddhists. I don't tell them "how to live". Ridiculing someone for ridiculous beliefs isn't authoritarian. You know what is authoritharian? Literally trying to make anti-blasphemy laws a thing. Trying to undermine the secular basis of government. I don't have a problem with religious people, I have a problem with religious politics. The two are obviously linked though, ESPECIALLY in the case of muslims. When it DOES affect my life, my country, the laws I live under, am I allowed to speak on it then, oh glorious arbiter? I don't give half a shit if you find my opinions boringly conventional, I find your pathetic lack of curiosity and critical sense boring personally. Do you only ever opine or pass judgement on things that personally affect you? Or is this a special case?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 15, 2014, 04:29:44 pm »
You dont need to be 'enlightened' to get bored of the same 2 'religion sux' type posts that this forum produces and recycles every thread. If some people tried thinking for themselves they might even enjoy it.
You must hate science then, and things like the theory of evolution. The same theory repeated over and over! So boring, and obviously false, since people keep saying the same things about it.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:26 pm »
You cant generalise for protestants because they dont have a ruling authority, you get a totally different practice depending on the pastor or leader of the local 'flock'.

Those protestants you grew up with, did they regard molesting children as moral? If not they cant have been wholly literal in their interpretation of the Bible. And that's the entire crux of this whole 'Holy Book says X and therefore the religion is evil' debate we're having.

Do you disagree that 2000-year-old lawcodes would be equally as cringeworthy regarding modern human rights and ages of consent? That's where i'm coming from, all shit attemtps to derail aside.

(click to show/hide)
The Bible literally says it is the word of God and that every word should be heeded, yet few people are willing to do that exactly because it is difficult to reconcile with modernity. Any serious Protestant denomination that has a strong Biblical basis that I know of, claims to believe that the Bible is the word of God, and these denominations do in fact have ruling authorities on at least a national basis. Yet they pick and choose what to read out loud, entire sections get marginalized or largely ignored, or terrible actions by God get justified because of 'different times'. Simply because many things in the Bible are so problematic for these modern times. So indeed, organized modern religion isn't evil because Holy Book says X, organized modern religion is retarded though for basing their beliefs on the Holy Book while avoiding X written by God.

Which is perhaps beside your point, but I responded more specifically to your ridiculing of the notion that Christians believe the Bible is written by God, because they do claim to do so.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2014, 07:00:17 pm »
This is Crpg community not the academic world, I only see half-baked musings on 'religion sux, we must remove' here.

If i had only heard of 'science' or the 'theory of evolution' on forum.melee.org coming from people like you 'Evolution works cos i say so, NGH!' then i'd be skeptical too.
So what you're saying is that you're skeptical about the theory of evolution? Figures.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:22 pm »
I am skeptical of why you chose to misinterpret what i said, but then again english isnt your first language. I will try to be clearer next time.
I didn't misinterpret anything. Also, it's English* and isn't*. But then again you're retarded, so that's okay.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 15, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »
i just put myself in their shoes and know i'd rather not have some retarded know-it-all tell me how to live. I apply that principle when it's a roomfull of christians being know-it-alls, i apply it when it's a forum full of atheists.

White knight Hesky, the defender of the oppressed believers, strikes again.

but i'd feel like a generic dime-a-dozen 'enlightened' basement wanker for saying it.[/spoiler]

Because obviously only you are enlightened, non generic, original mind.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 15, 2014, 11:58:06 pm »
You clearly dont understand plain English, want me to make it clearer? A finger-space between every letter maybe? Or is this just the part of the argument where instead of even trying to make an argument you just say ''So what you're saying is...'' and then make some shit up. That's generally the point where we all know you've lost and your brain hurts too much to think more, you typically do it at the start of every argument, bless you never last long.
whooooosh, went so far over your head you couldn't even see it. Which I foresaw, of course, and it only makes your stupidity funnier  :D
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2014, 12:16:41 am »
You're making it out like it's a big deal to not hate someone just for what religion they have. Fuck you. I judge people on their own merits. At the end of the day you're fucking tiny, you cant make religious people stop doing what they do and believing what they believe, keep your pathetic little judgements on people who are different, you dont have the balls to do anything about it, just sit in a corner and cry if a muslim comes and lives next door.

Hypocrite, all over again.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:39 am »
That's what you do when you judge everyone who has a religious belief. I base my opinion on you on what i've heard you say as an individual.

Do you see the difference? There's judging individuals on what they say and do, and then there's saying 'all religion is retarded and everyone who is religious is retarded'.

Now go and find a single post of mine where I call someone retarded because of his religion.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2014, 08:23:48 am »
You're trying to Tell me it's an insult to say that I don't and can not understand why some People believe in fairy tales. Right.

Btw, nice move, cutting out the First part of my post. Stay classy.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2014, 05:04:40 pm »
You asked for a specific snippit of yourself looking down on people for their religious beliefs, or calling them stupid or retarded. I gave you your snippit.

You gave me nothing, because you have nothing. Admitting my inability to understand someone's way of thinking can't be equalized with calling someone retarded.

Unless you dispute that the above quote was questioning the intelligence of people who believe in 'ridiculous fairy tales', 'bullshit', 'myths' - and you claim you dont call or consider religious people to be stupid or retarded or inferior?

You seem to be confused or unable to distinguish two separate things; my approach to a religion and what I think about religious people. I never said or even thought that someone is stupid or retarded because he is a religious man. Which shouldn't be a surprise since almost all members of my close family and half of my friends are catholics. And no, I don't think that all of them are stupid retards. But looks like it's beyond your comprehension that I can - for the lack of a better word - "hate" religion and at the same time be at least neutral toward religious people, cause I told you that already more than once:

That doesn't mean I consider myself smarter than those who believe in god, just in this particular case I think they're wrong, but in other areas they can be "the smartest most correct people in the world". So don't be so upset.
That doesn't mean I consider everyone who's not an atheist as a fool.

And yet you still come with this "you're hateful to religious people" shit over and over again.

I find your attitude pretty ridiculous to be honest, in threads like this one you always try to claim moral high ground, mounting a white horse as a defender of poor muslims and other believers from evil, hateful atheists. And at the same you're shittalking and insulting like everyone else. I don't mind good hate speech, it only adds spice to the discussion, but, as I keep saying, you look like a huge hypocrite thanks to that. Maybe it's time to open your eyes, look at the mirror and admit to yourself that you're as hateful as anyone else. If not more, after all you call me a piece of shit, not the other way around, even though my posts in this thread aren't even mildly offensive.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »
The reason he looks like a huge hypocrite is that he is a huge hypocrite.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.