Author Topic: Serious question: What is the appeal of this mod?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Serious question: What is the appeal of this mod?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »
The grind is awful, but you can make an instant level 30 'skip the fun' character. That way, you get the best parts of the mod (character and equipment customization), without the bad parts (grind).

Offline ednos

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Alea iacta est.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swords with Friends
  • Game nicks: Sir_Ednos
  • IRC nick: ednos
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
+3
For me, the "level grind" is just a distraction; in my second generation, I have done much better at levels 15-25 than I was doing at 25-29 last generation. It's also interesting to see your actual skill with a weapon rise with your in-game proficiency, giving the illusion that it has much more of an effect than it actually does. One reason this mod is so awesome is that you get the constant little bit of satisfaction when you gain experience and level up, but the real depth of the game itself is almost completely detached from it. You get all the benefits without the cost. For a truly stark comparison, evaluate the grinding in this game with Diablo III or World of Warcraft--games completely founded in grinding with a game on top as a distraction.
"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." ~Bertrand Russell
(click to show/hide)

Offline Black_Winged_One

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »
+4
Although I do have to admit, killing heavily armoured guys as a peasant was immensely satisfying. I play siege, so I would try to get high up and jump down onto people, using the momentum for a kill with my weak stats. :P

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »
Personally I have 3 alts that I play when my main isn't working out.  Some days 2h just doesn't work for me, so I hop on my shielder or my pole guy.  Also i use different weapons damn near every round.  The grind sucks but its fun when you hit thirty and see your build come together.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »
+3
What I like about this mod is that you and everybody else has a custom character, with a specific set of gear, skills and a specific playstyle. I just like the recognition that brings with such a small playerbase. Also, the balance of this mod is pretty damn good and shielder isn't the only viable melee class, which is what killed Native for me.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »
+6
Evrything you see above is just a LIE, ill tell you what it realy iss. You play you hate it but they will convince you to play more and before you know it you´re cursed with the old dreadly curse of chadz , making you hate evrything about this game but at the same time your body needs it like meth. And the more you play the more you need it untill eventualy you end up like Tears Of Destiny and never leaving the modd always being there any time any day through forum and game. It will suck every bit of life out of you and leave a lifeless corpse behind.

Offline jasonjay543

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: xX
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »
Well,a sk yourself this. Why do some folks think Call of Duty is fun? It's almost the same concept with the weapons. With this, it's just fun to get better at the game and get more skill. When you learn how to block decently then the game becomes fun and no longer a bother (Though it isn't really one in the first place)

Offline Juhanius

• Legendary Engraver
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I always hated crossbows, take too long to load!"
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Juhanius, Stormy_Repairs
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »
+4
Mod challenges you every time, no matter which class you choose.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 07:26:46 pm »
Evrything you see above is just a LIE, ill tell you what it realy iss. You play you hate it but they will convince you to play more and before you know it you´re cursed with the old dreadly curse of chadz , making you hate evrything about this game but at the same time your body needs it like meth. And the more you play the more you need it untill eventualy you end up like Tears Of Destiny and never leaving the modd always being there any time any day through forum and game. It will suck every bit of life out of you and leave a lifeless corpse behind.

that

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 07:44:46 pm »
I like the size of the game population. You aren't always playing with the same 50 people whenever you log on, but you start to recognize players after a while.

The grind isn't really that bad. If you play for 4-8 hours you should be in the 20s level-wise. At that point you have enough stats/skill points/wpf to use practically any gear you want. Getting the gold for expensive gear can take a little longer, but that part is fun to me. When you finally assemble your set of items and go tear the battlefield up it feels great. Much better than logging on and slogging through nameless mouthbreathers in Native multiplayer (although sometimes I wish there was a crpg server that rotated some of the more crazy and unrealistic maps you find on Native servers. Those are fun!).

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Horst_Kurmoottaja

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Ei urhot kaukaisen Pohjolan uhan eessä taipuneet!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Horst, Mamba_
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
Mod challenges you every time, no matter which class you choose.

Well said
Farewell my brother
Farewell my foe
May death embrace you
Your blood in the darkness flow
***PÖRKELE***

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 08:38:03 pm »
+1
I dont like the grind either, its why i havnt retired in like 6 months. I play this mod over the others becuase of character customization, and because the speed of the game is significantly faster than native or regular Warband in general. Other than that this game is basically like the counter strike of this first person melle game or whatever you call it. Ive never played a game in this genre before so its new and fun and have been playing a long time. Counter strike was my first FPS and it blew me away as i had never played the genre and i played CS for a few years before playing a few other FPS and gradually getting bored with the genre. So ya this is just still new and something i had never seen before that i like so i play it. CRPG is actually the only game i play at this point (only game ive played for the last year). I dont know if id play games anymore if i got bored with this im already bored of all my fav genres.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:41:05 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »
+2
I dont like the grind either, its why i havnt retired in like 6 months. I play this mod over the others becuase of character customization, and because the speed of the game is significantly faster than native or regular Warband in general.

What? If you're talking of melee speed, native is faster than cRPG (nonwithstanding ridiculously high agi builds with fast weapons like katana maybe). cRPG isn't Vikingr slow, but it's slower than native for sure.
And native is much more CS like than cRPG, if only for the "buy equip with money made on that particular map" mechanic. I'd say something mean about the ranged balance in native, but that would be beating a dead horse.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
the speed of the game is significantly faster than native or regular Warband in general

Factually incorrect.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »
He might be referring to the rounds themselves, as Native rounds often drag out longer then c-RPG rounds in my experience by a good minute or two. At least for me, it seems like a lot more things are going on in c-RPG rounds and thus seems faster.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.