Author Topic: Serious question: What is the appeal of this mod?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Black_Winged_One

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Serious question: What is the appeal of this mod?
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:37:43 am »
I have played this mod a few times, and recently played again, but just keep coming back to, "why bother with the grind?" I mean it just feels like vanilla M&B, except everyone is grinding up to where vanilla starts at. whenever I see peasants just getting one shotted and dealing zero damage, I'm wondering why they think it's fun to grind through this...

I ended up just skipping to 30 and dressing like a ninja. That was fun for a little bit.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
Re: Serious question: What is the appeal of this mod?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:48:17 am »
+5
It's fun because it's hard, and your constant grinding is slowly rewarded. Unlike real life.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:28 am »
+1
The grind isn't that bad. Only takes a few hours to get to lvl 15+ and being able to kill people consistently.

The fun is basically having your own personal character, armor, weps, and build that stick with you. You don't have to retire or use more than one character to play this mod. Loomed weps and armor do not add that much to where it nullifies skill.

Also: At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square..

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:37:00 pm »
It's mainly about epeen, as with all online games

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:17 pm »
+2
Unlike real life.

wat

i jsut like the game,  and the comunity and consistency because of character linking makes it a better experience than native
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »
+4
Mainly the custom armors, online charbuilding and the fact that your grind gets rewarded yes. You dont really get that in any of the other mods in Warband. Your hard work usually always vanishes with the server restart in the few mods that do save your progress.

I personally like the fact that there are so many different builds here. You never know if the guy you fighting is a str build willing to cut you down in 1 hit or a kitten with 0 PS.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »
+3
I've always loved cRPG because I can play the character I want without relying on factions and equipment restrictions. Sure, the grind is a pain, but, as you grind and retire, your skills improve and, eventually, you have a lot of heirlooms.

I suppose it can be discouraging for beginners since most people are veterans, but that happens in most games. If you like cRPG, you won't be able to quit.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
+1
The game is fun because of the xp system (it is not a real grinding system though), the custom builds and many different gear. The website also gives you many different things, like the clan system, marketplace and battle system (including Strat).
Therefore crpg is far better than native and more fun. If you don't like leveling up, do the STF thingie, though you should never do that on your main.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 01:55:54 pm »
+2
If you dont get the appeal of the mod, just dont play. I dont mean that in a harsh way, but if you dont have fun playing this game, dont play it tbh, its not for everyone, and starting recently I can imagine it feels VERY harsh. Although it does irritate me when new guys are QQ'ing about how expensive stuff is or how it takes to level up; THEY HAVE NO IDEA what it was like :D
I don't know enough

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
+2
I think its the fact that you can play "your" character. You choose your looks, the build you want, and when you login you start where you left, unlike native where you play trought the rounds and can pick limited gear for each class.

If you feel its all about grind, you better leave quick for your own sake, if not just have fun playing your character.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:29 pm »
+2
What is the appeal of this mod?

The fact that you are up against a population of the best Warband players in the world all concentrated in one place.

I mean, have you seen how terrible your average native player is? Although there are a handful of them who are pretty good duelists, I have found the vast majority don't know how to attack well, block competently, or make good equipment choices, and many of them think that being told to march in lines for the purposes of RPing conscripts in a 19th century army is the best game experience Mount and Blade has to offer. As for myself, I cannot say I am good by any stretch of the imagination, but, after a couple of months and a few thousand deaths in cRPG, I have reached the point where I can join a native game and style over nearly everyone (unless there's another, better cRPG player in the game, as has happened on a few occasions), and I have the people who play this mod to thank for it.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:14 pm »
+2
A lot of the best Warband players are regular native players. But yeah, the vast majority are total noobs. Just compare the population of servers with good players ( like Nditions or IG_battlegrounds) to that of Zendar Hunter's Guild TDM and Siege (replete with the type of player you describe), which are by far the most populated of all native servers

Offline Malevolent_Warlord

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »
Grinding sucks if thats is what u focus on. Best time I have is when I team up with someone and kick ass as a team. And I have many classes:  shielder, poleguy and 2h, HA, polecav, thrower and xbow. I can do all those too and don't have to stick with one. And when one character gets lvl 31 I get a better item. I also try to stay alive and not just hunt peasants or sacrifice myself for one kill.
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Offline Black_Winged_One

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
+1
I guess I'll try to stick with this for a little bit more, character I just made is already like 10, so I'll keep going. The only real reason for me to keep playing though is the massive population, which I'm thankful for.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »
You just always have to remember, that this is a game. If you don't enjoy it during a session, better quit and play something else. If you see it more casually, you will always have your fun. :)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me